Adams minutes | The Boneyard

Adams minutes

Reaction Score
Brendan Adams has 57 minutes played in the last 3 games and has contributed a total of 4 points and 1 assist. Not looking to bash the kid but that ain't working.

Jackson needs to be getting his minutes--or at least be given the chance to make more than 1 mistake before being subbed out permanently.

Not a lot of options though when Polley and Akok are out, and Cole/Gaffney aren't playing very well.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Minutes need to go in this order:

Whaley
Carlton
Sanogo
Gaffney
Adams

If the 3 forwards are playing more minutes than the backup guards, UConn is going to win a lot of close games. If the 2 backup guards are playing more minutes than the 3 forwards, UConn is going to lose a lot of close games.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Jackson definitely gets a quick hook but he looks like a deer in headlights in the half court offense most of the time. His strengths would be more evident in an uptempo type of game. Not going to give up on him of course but that jumpshot need major surgery.

Reaction Score
Brendan Adams has 57 minutes played in the last 3 games and has contributed a total of 4 points and 1 assist. Not looking to bash the kid but that ain't working.
Thats what he does. Not sure what the surprise is.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
We all know Hurley loves playing this kid...but why?? Does he just get nostalgic for coaching mid-major talent sometimes? I could see playing him that much if he was guarding Zergiotis but that was Cole.

could be a result of Tyler being out? Those minutes need to go to Sanogo or Jackson.

Reaction Score
He is Hurley’s favorite player. He has played more than expected every year so far. He plays solid D generally, is capable of coming up with tough rebounds and 50/50 balls and is obviously a great team guy but he just has never shot well enough to be a plus player. He has a reputation as a good shooter within the team but it has never translated to games. His ball handling isn’t very good either. Jackson has much more talent and I think Hurley will realize if he hasn’t already that he’s going to have to show trust in Jackson and let him play through mistakes.

Reaction Score
Hurley is definitely high on Adams, he put him in instead of Carlton when Whaley fouled out. Having a big in there might have helped on that too easy layup.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I have no idea what the Jackson fans are seeing to support him getting more minutes. He's clearly not ready, yet.

This team is going to win on the backs of Bouk and Whaley playing pick and roll and effort plays from everyone else.

They are the only guys dictating offensively at their positions. Sanago and Carlton are having moments here and there.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what the Jackson fans are seeing to support him getting more minutes. He's clearly not ready, yet.

This team is going to win on the backs of Bouk and Whaley playing pick and roll and effort plays from everyone else.

They are the only guys dictating offensively at their positions. Sanago and Carlton are having moments here and there.

I don't think anyone really thinks he's "ready." But the guys getting minutes ahead of him aren't ready either. You need to develop young talent for a lot of reasons.

If anyone, Sanogo has the best case for more minutes though.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Hurley is definitely high on Adams, he put him in instead of Carlton when Whaley fouled out. Having a big in there might have helped on that too easy layup.
Or Sanogo or something. I’m not sure we got another rebound after Whaley went out

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Right now it's a zero sum game between Jackson and Adams. Adams gives great effort on D and does what the coach wants him to do. Adams has no ability to create his own shot on offense and is a poor outside shooter. All his points come on fast breaks and busted plays.

Unfortunately, Adams' weaknesses are Jackson's weaknesses too. Difference is Adams is way more aware of where to be and what to do.

Reaction Score

He hasn't really got a chance to get into the flow of the game. His talent is obvious. He hasn't shown much in games but he hasn't really had the chance to either. Barely anyone can play a couple minutes in the middle of the first half and be expected to light the world on fire before he gets subbed out.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Right now it's a zero sum game between Jackson and Adams. Adams gives great effort on D and does what the coach wants him to do. Adams has no ability to create his own shot on offense and is a poor outside shooter. All his points come on fast breaks and busted plays.

Unfortunately, Adams' weaknesses are Jackson's weaknesses too. Difference is Adams is way more aware of where to be and what to do.
Jackson is a great passer and loves to find open guys. The other players cut better and are more active off the ball when Jackson is in. Ball gets very sticky with Adams.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Jackson definitely gets a quick hook but he looks like a deer in headlights in the half court offense most of the time. His strengths would be more evident in an uptempo type of game. Not going to give up on him of course but that jumpshot need major surgery.
Kind of felt like I'd like to see him drive last night. In HS at least he showed a Bouknight like ability to slash and score. Tough to do with five guys parked in the paint. Losing Polley hurt us a lot in that game.

Reaction Score

I just don't see what Adams brings where he should be getting 27 minutes and Jackson 5. It all must be because Adams is a solid defender and Jackson will get lost a couple of times more than him...but even this one strength Adams has over Jackson at the moment Jackson has far more upside as a defender. If Adams could shoot, pass, or penetrate I could justify his minutes but he can't do any of those things.

Jackson isn't ready, practice is one thing but you need game time under your belt to get you ready and more comfortable. You can't ever get comfortable with 5 minutes of game time. In the few minutes Jackson has played he's shown better passing then Adams has in over two seasons.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He hasn't really got a chance to get into the flow of the game. His talent is obvious. He hasn't shown much in games but he hasn't really had the chance to either. Barely anyone can play a couple minutes in the middle of the first half and be expected to light the world on fire before he gets subbed out.
Kind of felt like I'd like to see him drive last night. In HS at least he showed a Bouknight like ability to slash and score. Tough to do with five guys parked in the paint. Losing Polley hurt us a lot in that game.

I just don't see what Adams brings where he should be getting 27 minutes and Jackson 5. It all must be because Adams is a solid defender and Jackson will get lost a couple of times more than him...but even this one strength Adams has over Jackson at the moment Jackson has far more upside as a defender. If Adams could shoot, pass, or penetrate I could justify his minutes but he can't do any of those things.

Jackson isn't ready, practice is one thing but you need game time under your belt to get you ready and more comfortable. You can't ever get comfortable with 5 minutes of game time. In the few minutes Jackson has played he's shown better passing then Adams has in over two seasons.

By no means am I an Adams apologist. I'd like to see him on the bench as soon as he shoots the ball in the halfcourt set.
All I am saying is that for whatever reason Adams has moved ahead of Jackson in the rotation and Jackson hasn't shown anything in the last two games to show Hurley he brings something to the offense or defense that Adams doesn't. They're equally inefficient
I definitely agree Jackson showed in HS and in the first two games he can pass and is a willing teammate. But he is so lost on where he is supposed to be on offense and defense. In HS he could get away looking like a good defender because he was better than most of the players he had to guard. Now he has to learn how to defend as part of a team with switching, rotating, hedging, recovering, etc.
Jackson isn't Kwintin Williams bad as far as where to be on the court, but he is really out of synch.
I was way more cautious than most from Jun-Sep on what to expect from Jackson this year. After the updated height/weight charts came out and Hurley said Jackson could be one of the best freshmen in the country, I took a leap of faith thinking Jackson is tearing it up in practice and gets what Hurley is doing with the team. No way that was true based on what we have seen in games so far.

Reaction Score
By no means am I an Adams apologist. I'd like to see him on the bench as soon as he shoots the ball in the halfcourt set.
All I am saying is that for whatever reason Adams has moved ahead of Jackson in the rotation and Jackson hasn't shown anything in the last two games to show Hurley he brings something to the offense or defense that Adams doesn't. They're equally inefficient
I definitely agree Jackson showed in HS and in the first two games he can pass and is a willing teammate. But he is so lost on where he is supposed to be on offense and defense. In HS he could get away looking like a good defender because he was better than most of the players he had to guard. Now he has to learn how to defend as part of a team with switching, rotating, hedging, recovering, etc.
Jackson isn't Kwintin Williams bad as far as where to be on the court, but he is really out of synch.
I was way more cautious than most from Jun-Sep on what to expect from Jackson this year. After the updated height/weight charts came out and Hurley said Jackson could be one of the best freshmen in the country, I took a leap of faith thinking Jackson is tearing it up in practice and gets what Hurley is doing with the team. No way that was true based on what we have seen in games so far.
Jackson brings way better passing/ball movement than Adams, I think Jackson is the best passer on the team.

CL82

Reaction Score
All the COVID stoppages are going to hurt the freshmen more. It isn't a surprise that Jackson struggles a bit with his role. He'll get there. Last night, I think it could have been one of those times when you say "You've been playing basketball your whole life. Take the ball and do what you do. Drive and dish or drive and score. Lockdown your guy. Don't worry about the rest of it right now." In the first half we were struggling for answers.

TJT

Reaction Score
Hurley has been bringing in higher rated recruits each successive season. Adams is now way down on the talent list. He should be getting less playing time.

Reaction Score
Jackson brings way better passing/ball movement than Adams, I think Jackson is the best passer on the team.

Jackson is definitely the best passer on the team. IMO there is no question about it.

Problem is that he isn't good at anything else but jumping, lol. And he has a good handle for his size. It's hard to get playing time when you get lost on defense and can't shoot though. I guess coach values BAdams not getting lost on defense 22 minutes more than Jackson's passing. I understand it--just wish we were doing something different.

Reaction Score
He is Hurley’s favorite player. He has played more than expected every year so far. He plays solid D generally, is capable of coming up with tough rebounds and 50/50 balls and is obviously a great team guy but he just has never shot well enough to be a plus player. He has a reputation as a good shooter within the team but it has never translated to games. His ball handling isn’t very good either. Jackson has much more talent and I think Hurley will realize if he hasn’t already that he’s going to have to show trust in Jackson and let him play through mistakes.

He's a low ceiling, high floor player who generally doesn't make mistakes and is therefore kind of a security blanket for Hurley.

That said, Hurley needs to get out of his comfort zone if we're going to be a truly dangerous team.

CL82

Reaction Score
I guess coach values BAdams not getting lost on defense 22 minutes more than Jackson's passing.

No doubt. Team defense is Hurley's bread and butter as a coach. If you want playing time, that's job 1.

(FWIW offense and in game adjustments are two big areas that Hurley needs to grow as a coach. It will come.)

Reaction Score
No doubt. Team defense is Hurley's bread and butter as a coach. If you want playing time, that's job 1.

No doubt. He also isn't going to learn if we don't get him minutes. If our two top 100 recruits are both barely seeing the floor and developing that is a problem. It looks bad to recruits, and we're not developing our talent for the future. Maybe Creighton wasn't the team to do that against, but it needs to happen soon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom