Adamec: UConn women's frosh five in limbo | The Boneyard

Adamec: UConn women's frosh five in limbo

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Carl caught up with Geno.

“Can we get them here? Can we get our freshmen and our returning players back on campus and give them a semblance of normal, whatever that is? Right now we don’t have any definitive plans. Nothing’s finalized. The university is working on it.”

“The best-case scenario for us is to get them here in the middle of June and try to get them working together and on the court and give them an idea of what school will be like,” Auriemma said. “Every coach wants that. I think every player wants that.

“The worst-case scenario is nobody comes this summer and we all keep our fingers crossed and hope that school opens in September.”

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Carl caught up with Geno.

“Can we get them here? Can we get our freshmen and our returning players back on campus and give them a semblance of normal, whatever that is? Right now we don’t have any definitive plans. Nothing’s finalized. The university is working on it.”

“The best-case scenario for us is to get them here in the middle of June and try to get them working together and on the court and give them an idea of what school will be like,” Auriemma said. “Every coach wants that. I think every player wants that.

“The worst-case scenario is nobody comes this summer and we all keep our fingers crossed and hope that school opens in September.”

Little blurb at the bottom

The Huskies were in the final three for Stanford graduate transfer DiJonai Carrington before the guard from San Diego chose to use her final year at Baylor. So it’s likely the roster will stay at 10.

“I don’t envision that changing,” Auriemma said. “There’s nothing in the plans. This is what we’ve got and I’m comfortable with where we are.

Reaction Score
About the best that can be expected at the moment. IF everyone follow common sense guidelines for limiting the transmission of the carona virus as lock down restrictions are eased and adequate testing resources are available, colleges MIGHT be able to function with a semblance of normalcy.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
No separate discussion of foreign players who are affected by current international travel restrictions. That’s 3 of the 10.

From an earlier discussion...
I did some research.

Aaliyah should be okay...
"... travel through the land ports of entry and ferry terminals along the [... United States-Canada and United States-Mexico borders] ... shall be limited to "essential travel," which includes, but is not limited to-
[...]
Individuals traveling to attend educational institutions...”

I can’t find any updates about re-entry on an F-1 visa for Anna. And we’re hoping that Nika has already made her embassy trips...

Reaction Score
No separate discussion of foreign players who are affected by current international travel restrictions. That’s 3 of the 10.

you would think that the US government could require that all foreign students be tested just before their flights and then go into quarantine for 14 days once they have reached their schools...........I assume that my daughter and all other college kids will be tested just before or after their arrival on campus if they are going to be on campus in the fall.......

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Seeing that international professional athletes, I believe it's true for the NBA, will be allowed to return from overseas, I can't imagine why student athletes will not be allowed to return to attend their schools*.

*If schools reopen.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
you would think that the US government could require that all foreign students be tested just before their flights and then go into quarantine for 14 days once they have reached their schools...........I assume that my daughter and all other college kids will be tested just before or after their arrival on campus if they are going to be on campus in the fall.......
Yup. All foreign students is the way it has to be handled, too I would hope scholarship athletes don’t get any special consideration. UConn alone has a bunch of foreign athletes, including football that among other Canadians: are 2 quarterbacks.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If foreign students are not allowed back in the country, it will be a big hit to US colleges financially, as foreign students number over 1 million or approximately 5% of all students enrolled.

Reaction Score
If foreign students are allowed to enter the US from Canada then what's to stop out Euro players from flying to Canada and entering the US? The ban is on flights from Europe, not Europeans, right? I think the same thing happened recently when the US banned flights from an infected country but people from there just flew to London and then were able to get a flight to the US.

Testing is another subject. Quick and reliable testing is still a work in progress.

I'd be very happy if they manage to get the team on campus by July. And pleasantly surprised.

Reaction Score
If foreign students are allowed to enter the US from Canada then what's to stop out Euro players from flying to Canada and entering the US? The ban is on flights from Europe, not Europeans, right? I think the same thing happened recently when the US banned flights from an infected country but people from there just flew to London and then were able to get a flight to the US.

Testing is another subject. Quick and reliable testing is still a work in progress.

I'd be very happy if they manage to get the team on campus by July. And pleasantly surprised.
Can the players participate in basketball activities if they are not enrolled in classes?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
you would think that the US government could require that all foreign students be tested .

C'mon Charlie...
You don't really expect that our gov' will mandate anything...do you?...If they do, it will be a first... :)

on edit: NCAA issues guidelines:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, Geno appears to be wrong. The worst case scenario is online-only learning in the fall, with players not allowed on campus until early 2021 or later. Can he bring the team back for practices in the academic year if other students are generally not on campus?

Reaction Score
IMO-There is NO WAY students aren't back on campus in September.

Once the the P5 schools started to state they're coming back and playing football, the was it, IMO. Those schools set the tone for colleges and universities around the nation.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
IMO-There is NO WAY students aren't back on campus in September.

Once the the P5 schools started to state they're coming back and playing football, the was it, IMO. Those schools set the tone for colleges and universities around the nation.
Which P5 school has stated definitively that they’re coming back and playing football? All I’ve heard are aspirational statements with no specific plans.

Reaction Score
Which P5 school has stated definitively that they’re coming back and playing football? All I’ve heard are aspirational statements with no specific plans.
Pretty much all Connecticut schools have said they will be open in the fall semester - CCSU, SCSU, WCSU, ECSU, UNH, QU... just waiting on UConn to officially announce the same. It's a done deal at this point that the fall semester will go on as normal. The most common alteration to the schedule is that after Thanksgiving students will not be allowed back at which point everything will be distance learning.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Pretty much all Connecticut schools have said they will be open in the fall semester - CCSU, SCSU, WCSU, ECSU, UNH, QU... just waiting on UConn to officially announce the same. It's a done deal at this point that the fall semester will go on as normal. The most common alteration to the schedule is that after Thanksgiving students will not be allowed back at which point everything will be distance learning.
That’s not quite the point I’m making. I still have not seen a definitive plan from any P5 school (none of which are located in CT) to restart college football. All of that I’ve seen so far is that some P5 schools will open facilities for voluntary workouts in June.

Reaction Score
That’s not quite the point I’m making. I still have not seen a definitive plan from any P5 school (none of which are located in CT) to restart college football. All of that I’ve seen so far is that some P5 schools will open facilities for voluntary workouts in June.
But why do you think the football season is in peril? Are you just waiting for some official announcement that this fall semester will be the same as the last fall semester? That's not really the NCAA's purview, so I wouldn't hold my breath. If schools are open why wouldn't they proceed on a normal schedule? I think it's going to be anticlimactic and the schedule will carry on as if Covid-19 never happened.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
But why do you think the football season is in peril? Are you just waiting for some official announcement that this fall semester will be the same as the last fall semester? That's not really the NCAA's purview, so I wouldn't hold my breath. If schools are open why wouldn't they proceed on a normal schedule? I think it's going to be anticlimactic and the schedule will carry on as if Covid-19 never happened.
You can do a little research on any major football team or conference. They are all putting together plans that deal with testing, practice, travel, and contingency plans for what happens if players or staff test positive. No team’s plan is in place right now. Individual schools have to coordinate with their respective conferences.

CA St schools have announced that campuses will not be open for the fall semester. That pretty much blows up the WAC football conference. ND, SC and a number of other universities have announced their intention to send students home at Thanksgiving and shut down campuses. What does that do for playoffs and bowl games?

Whatever type of football is attempted this fall, it will most assuredly not be a normal schedule.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, Geno appears to be wrong. The worst case scenario is online-only learning in the fall, with players not allowed on campus until early 2021 or later. Can he bring the team back for practices in the academic year if other students are generally not on campus?

Athletes are on campus for the 4 week semester break when dorms and dinning are not available to regular students. Without live classes there is no reason for most students to be on campus. That isn't true for athletes and clinical students. I would think that it would be a lot easier to control access to 10 athletes than a football team and my guess is that they will let football players practice next month.

Reaction Score

I think they look at which country your passport was issued from so its harder to do that. So if you are from Spain and can get into Canada that is as far as you can go...theoreticaly...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think they look at which country your passport was issued from so its harder to do that. So if you are from Spain and can get into Canada that is as far as you can go...theoreticaly...
Beyond the issue of passports and visas is the simple logistics of actually getting a seat on a flight to the US, Canada or anywhere else. While there are still international flights in and out of the US, such flights have been reduced significantly. As a result, booking an international flight may require that a traveler book months in advance. If they are lucky enough to get a flight, at the very least, they would be required to quarantine for two weeks once they arrive.

So individuals like Anna & Nika are in a Catch 22. UConn has not yet announced reopening plans, and even if they did, the current travel restrictions would not allow them to book flights back to the US. If and when those restrictions are lifted, with the extremely limited number of flights available, they would really need to book flights months in advance in order to arrive on time to first quarantine and then hopefully start the fall semester on time.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Southeastern Conference athletes can return to campus for voluntary workouts starting June 8, the league presidents voted Friday. It’s the latest step in what’s been a week of positivity surrounding college football’s return.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom