Adama Sanogo, UConn men’s basketball’s proud star center, is ‘on a mission’ this season (Borges @Hearst) | The Boneyard

Adama Sanogo, UConn men’s basketball’s proud star center, is ‘on a mission’ this season (Borges @Hearst)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Alternate access link here <<

-> Sanogo is ready not only for that challenge, but to hear his name called in the 2023 NBA Draft. He knows the criticisms: at 6-9, not big enough to play NBA center, yet not nimble enough or a good enough shooter to play on the perimeter. He’s working (and improving) on his 3-point shot, his ballhandling, passing, face-up play and to be an overall more effective offensive weapon.

He’s also looking to get more lithe, get his weight down to 235 pounds. Sanogo has changed his diet, nixing pizzas altogether and cutting down his visits to hibachi restaurants from twice a week to once a month (OK, maybe twice).

“He’s on a mission,” Hurley said. “He’s going to attack this year like a monster, try to lead this team to a championship in the Big East, and then a deep tournament run. I think he believes he’s going to play himself into the NBA Draft this year. That’s the plan that we’ve had for him since he’s come to school here. Junior year, he’s going to put it all together and be a championship player and then be a draft pick <-

Reaction Score
ohhhh when adama said he didnt want to leave before winning a chip i didnt think he meant the BE...

Reaction Score
he gets it. It’s gonna be a good year
its officially Danny’s team

Reaction Score
The real key for him to turn the corner and "attack" is to be able to recognize the doubles and triple teams as well as being able to make crisp passes out of it. If they think it's all about finishing more on offense then it will be a lot of the same I'm afraid. He will get better if he becomes a better passer!

Reaction Score
The real key for him to turn the corner and "attack" is to be able to recognize the doubles and triple teams as well as being able to make crisp passes out of it. If they think it's all about finishing more on offense then it will be a lot of the same I'm afraid. He will get better if he becomes a better passer!
And he will need to keep the D honest by popping out and hitting the occasional 12-15 footer which he will need to showcase if he has any hope of making it into the NBA

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And he will need to keep the D honest by popping out and hitting the occasional 12-15 footer which he will need to showcase if he has any hope of making it into the NBA
This is really key against those teams that pack the paint to limit him. If he can step out and be a threat, or step out and then drive, he changes that. They can't put 2-3 guys on him so far from the paint without somebody else being wide open without a chance for the D to recover. He needs to help his own spacing.

Love the story. Excited to see him take his game to the next level.

Reaction Score
We are so lucky to have this kid, with that tremendous work ethic. Don’t put it past him to have a perimeter shot this year. Even without it he had some dominant games last year.

Reaction Score
Really rooting for this kid. I‘m excited to see if he and Andre can expand their offensive games. If so a lineup of Sanogo, Jackson, Newton, Hawkins, and tbd could be devastating

Reaction Score
All of the so-called basketball media "experts" are completely disregarding this team and it makes no sense. We were a top 25 team for 99% of the season last year and this year we will be even more versatile and more talented. Every team's preseason hype comes from "assuming players X develops" but for some reason we don't get that courtesy from the national media. This is a Final Four team

Reaction Score
All of the so-called basketball media "experts" are completely disregarding this team and it makes no sense. We were a top 25 team for 99% of the season last year and this year we will be even more versatile and more talented. Every team's preseason hype comes from "assuming players X develops" but for some reason we don't get that courtesy from the national media. This is a Final Four team
We never do. They are usually late to the party, and when we went down the tubes they hung on too long. It shows you something. They don’t know squat, those media and talking heads.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
We never do. They are usually late to the party, and when we went down the tubes they hung on too long. It shows you something. They don’t know squat, those media and talking heads.
That’s when you try to make money with Vegas on both ends. :)

Definitely looking forward to what our early season spreads are.

Reaction Score
We always have these discussions on here about what it takes for a good big in college to play in the NBA so I figured I'd post this article.

The consensus assessment from scouts is this: unless you can guard in space at least a little on defense and either rim-run or stretch the floor on offense, you're probably not worth selecting too high in any draft.

Reaction Score
Adama's high hedging at least gives some practice moving his feet on the perimeter on defense. If he does play even lighter, he might legitimately be able to stay in front of some guys, we'll see. The offense translating is still a question mark, especially if he gets too light and loses some of his main advantages (bully ball rebounding, carving out space on low block).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We always have these discussions on here about what it takes for a good big in college to play in the NBA so I figured I'd post this article.

The consensus assessment from scouts is this: unless you can guard in space at least a little on defense and either rim-run or stretch the floor on offense, you're probably not worth selecting too high in any draft.

If he gets even lighter, I don't think he's slow or lacking in lateral quickness. One of the challenges is the way Hurley runs the hard hedge puts even more strain on him defensively. You don't see somebody like Al Horford doing that. Those guys use their length and play off perimeter shooters to avoid getting blown by (Clingan is going to have to defend that way). I think Adama can do that in the NBA. He'll need an outside shot though to be viable on the offensive end.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
A 10-15 foot jumper that he can hit at a high percentage and how he creates this weapon is project number two. Acquiring a decent handle under pressure is project number three. Project number one? It’s what many of us have been harping on and that’s passing out of pressure. The other thing I am looking for from AS is not allowing an off scoring night have a negative impact on his overall game. UConn needs AS to be really solid and carry this team along with Hawkins. Those two are the keys. The newbies are an unknown at this point and none of us know how they will react to NBE play.
Staying healthy is huge.
If he completes the 3 projects UConn will go far and he will get drafted. Without a midrange game his NBA future is very unclear.
I am sure DH recognizes this and that is being worked on.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
That’s when you try to make money with Vegas on both ends. :)

Definitely looking forward to what our early season spreads are.
Vegas a lot smarter than the media, because being right actually matters to their job security lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom