ACC to hire Northwestern AD Jim Phillips as next commissioner- league wants to revisit TV deal and may need “membership change” to aid it | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ACC to hire Northwestern AD Jim Phillips as next commissioner- league wants to revisit TV deal and may need “membership change” to aid it

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
F Notre Dame and F the ACC. We are in the B1G training program now. We spend 5 years in the NBE regaining our basketball mojo and bringing football back from life support. Our hockey team continues to develop into a power. UCONN academics continue to improve and we get invited to the AAU. In 2025, we play our first football conference game against OSU at the newly expanded PAWSARF. So mote it be.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
IF (the big IF) ACC needed one more, the other best fit I'd see would be WVU. They're a crappy media outlet but have a great travel base, FB history and good BB. They have rivalry history with Pitt, VT and Maryland. Probably our biggest competition. The main issue for them would be the B12 GOR, which does not expire until 2025. If they had a chance to jump off that ship I think they'd do it in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
Sent Jim Phillips an email before he leaves Northwestern!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
IF (the big IF) ACC needed one more, the other best fit I'd see would be WVU. They're a crappy media outlet but have a great travel base, FB history and good BB. They have rivalry history with Pitt, VT and Maryland. Probably our biggest competition. The main issue for them would be the B12 GOR, which does not expire until 2025. If they had a chance to jump off that ship I think they'd do it in a heartbeat.

Why would ACC care about WVU rivalry with Maryland?

Reaction Score
Why would ACC care about WVU rivalry with Maryland?
For the B1G-ACC challenge. WVU is only 75 miles from Pitt so Rule #2 of CR would preclude that move, buuuut then again it is the ACC.

Reaction Score
Would you rather be a big fish in the Big East, or a minnow (Wake, BC, Pitt, Syracuse) in the ACC? The short-term $$$ are compelling in the ACC, but I'll suggest the long-term prospects are brighter in the Big East, especially if UConn becomes moderately successful as a football independent. All the revenue (if any, I concede) generated by independent football stays with UConn. No revenue-sharing. From a fan point-of-view, does any UConn fan really want to be a geographical outlier, rooting (as BC must) for wins over VT, Miami, FSU, and Georgia Tech, schools that are light years removed physically, and in some cases, culturally. And Louisville? A glorified community college.

Benedict nailed the move to the Big East. Now Edsall needs to make independence work.

Reaction Score
Would you rather be a big fish in the Big East, or a minnow (Wake, BC, Pitt, Syracuse) in the ACC? The short-term $$$ are compelling in the ACC, but I'll suggest the long-term prospects are brighter in the Big East, especially if UConn becomes moderately successful as a football independent. All the revenue (if any, I concede) generated by independent football stays with UConn. No revenue-sharing. From a fan point-of-view, does any UConn fan really want to be a geographical outlier, rooting (as BC must) for wins over VT, Miami, FSU, and Georgia Tech, schools that are light years removed physically, and in some cases, culturally. And Louisville? A glorified community college.

Benedict nailed the move to the Big East. Now Edsall needs to make independence work.
Their fans cheer for the $$ because they don't have the success. I'd be thrilled with the ACC too but UConn doesn't ride a conference's coattails, UConn tailors them.

Reaction Score

Pitt, Cuse, BC and UConn (and Notre Dame) can make a strong northern contingent. UConn football has more hope for moving upward in the ACC than the Big Ten. The Big Ten is loaded. However, the feel of UConn football in the Big Ten would be bigger, with games against Penn State, Michigan and Ohio State being guaranteed sell outs.

I know the team needs to recover and it can.

Reaction Score

Sorry but I disagree. ACC membership would give UConn a major push forward both in terms of sports and in terms of overall brand recognition to its academic programs and cultural identity. I see the ACC as a cross between the SEC and the Ivy League. UConn needs that affiliation.

Reaction Score
...in terms of overall brand recognition to its academic programs and cultural identity. UConn needs that affiliation.
NLI3.gif

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I'm cautiously optimistic about football independence based on games DB has been able to nail down so far.
But given the choice of keeping 100% of of pie worth $8M-$10M or getting a slice of a pie worth $25M-$35M, I'll take the slice every pie every time.

Reaction Score
College football has entered the time of a new paradigm...one where "butts you put in seats" isn't as important as "compelling match ups that draw viewers".

If the ACC expands...it will be to renegotiate with ESPN....and the number crunchers at ESPN will give advice on who would draw.

Then stir in the other conference considerations..
....contiguity
...."fit"
....other sports (baseball, soccer, etc)

Reaction Score
The ACC has not grabbed the NY/New England media market. Heck, in the Boston area, you can't even get the ACC Network on the biggest cable system, Comcast. One of the reasons UConn left the AAC was that fans wouldn't be able to get women's basketball games on linear TV! UConn would help bring the Northeast media markets.

One last point. In the tweet posted, it says the ACC is realizing their media contract is a long term problem. While ACC homers were crowing about the deal when it was signed, it is apparent that it is going to fall far behind the Big 10 and SEC.

Based on history, conference realignment is never dead.

Reaction Score
New England is a college football desert. ....where the market remains staunchly uninterested in college football.

The ACC knows it made a mistake going northeast......

And once again you get to vicariously experience my Boston College hate.

But is it fun if you hate on a team whose fans don't care ?...if you posted on a BC football board, only 5 fans would read it and all five would agree their program is as bland as a New England boiled dinner.

Reaction Score
In the 2020 Athlon Sports, they quoted ACC coaches comments about BC (anoymous)..it was telling...

""(Jeff) Hafley has a lot of work to do here. Mediocrity was accepted in this program for a very long time."

"Defensively they don't lose a lot but they need to scrap it and start over. Go completely fresh with their scheme."

"The toughest part of the job at BC is that it's like Syracuse. There aren't enough local players to build off of. In this league, are they ever going to have enough to line up against the Southern schools? Is that the expectation?"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
OMG! Huskypantz is The Dude of WV!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
FWIW, if BE viewership numbers materially climb with UConn aboard, ESPN might have an interest in us just to keep Fox down. Not saying it is a deal maker, but ESPN has been very predatory about maintaining itself as worldwide leader...

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
OMG! Huskypantz is The Dude of WV!
The overalls and bottle of moonshine should have clued you in long ago.

Reaction Score
New England is a college football desert. ....where the market remains staunchly uninterested in college football.

The ACC knows it made a mistake going northeast......

And once again you get to vicariously experience my Boston College hate.

But is it fun if you hate on a team whose fans don't care ?...if you posted on a BC football board, only 5 fans would read it and all five would agree their program is as bland as a New England boiled dinner.
Unless you go to BC Interruption. Those guys are high comedy.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom