ACC to hire Northwestern AD Jim Phillips as next commissioner- league wants to revisit TV deal and may need “membership change” to aid it | Page 4 | The Boneyard

ACC to hire Northwestern AD Jim Phillips as next commissioner- league wants to revisit TV deal and may need “membership change” to aid it

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Uconn is a good fit for the ACC. Football drives the bus, but Uconn has a lot of assests. Uconn is followed in all of New England on the basket ball side. Uconn probably has a greater following in MA outside of Boston.

You'd be surprised how much Uconn brings to the table.
Totally agree!

And to a certain degree, that is UConn's fault. Why is it the general public isn't aware of UConn and what it brings to the table? Whose responsibility is it to promote the university and its profile?

Reaction Score
The BE had a top 10 most watched game last season (2019-20)...2018-19 was all about Duke...

Reaction Score
And to a certain degree, that is UConn's fault. Why is it the general public isn't aware of UConn and what it brings to the table? Whose responsibility is it to promote the university and its profile?
Well, the combined success of the basketball programs is unmatched and the boys are back. UConn really is a perfect fit for the ACC, especially when looking at the membership before it raided the big east and took privates and glorified community colleges. Basketball is obvious. Football would get a huge boost and be elevated to the same level as 85% of the programs in that conference.

1610808296654.png

Reaction Score
The move into the northeast by the ACC was, in hindsight, not that great a move... BC and Syracuse didn't improve with the competition...

If..a big if..the ACC expands to 16, I could see looks at Cincinnati, UCF, Memphis, and UConn.

Memphis is a top 10 ESPN market....UCF would build a great rivalry for TV with FSU and Miami...UConn has high level basketball.

Reaction Score
Syracuse fans might be begging to add UConn in a matter of time. Things are bleak up in Canada.

Reaction Score
This article was written five years ago...and the TV world has been rapidly changing. The idea of adding a team for the TV cable boxes in New York may not be as operative in the post cable market....

Reaction Score
Name one program that went FBS/D1A after the 1970s in the P5.
I am sorry Butch. I am not denying that UConn may have a bigger pull in NY than Cuse BC and RU, and that article clearly supports that. But the fact is, it did not enable UConn to get the invite that we all desire.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am sorry Butch. I am not denying that UConn may have a bigger pull in NY than Cuse BC and RU, and that article clearly supports that. But the fact is, it did not enable UConn to get the invite that we all desire.
Humans generally have to make an effort to continue development.

Reaction Score
Humans generally have to make an effort to continue development.
In some cases, yes. But sometimes things are out of one's control. Sometimes timing in life is everything and if one misses out on an opportunity, it is unlikely that one will get a second, or third, chance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom