ACC 0-2 in BCS, ACC champ blown out by BE champ | The Boneyard

ACC 0-2 in BCS, ACC champ blown out by BE champ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There are a couple of headlines that will soon be forgotten.

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing. Yet we'll keep hearing the nonsense about how this ACC team or that ACC team will be a National Champion contender while the Big East stinks. And while this wasn't a great year for the big East, it was supposedly a good one for the ACC. Yet for the 2nd consecutive year the ACC Champ got its head handed to it in a bowl.

Reaction Score
Have to agree. The ACC deserves any and all criticism regarding their BCS performances. Disgraceful! regardless though, if any remaining BE teams get invited, they would join tomorrow.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Have to agree. The ACC deserves any and all criticism regarding their BCS performances. Disgraceful! regardless though, if any remaining BE teams get invited, they would join tomorrow.
They would, and I would agree with the move if UConn were to join, but any team that moves to the ACC is not going for football reasons.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Sad but true. This just highlights how bad the leadership of the BE is and was.

Reaction Score
I'm just tired of hearing how bad the Big East is. These so called experts on ESPN go by the past. Live in todays world.

Reaction Score
Fellas, big east leadership isn't bad. I think we've got some of the sharpest tools in the intercollegiate athletics shed over their in providence.

The problem, as I"ve been harping on for years, is that they simply didn't have football as a priority in their management of the league, and successful football program one after the another has been looking to get out since Miami in 2002, and that includes UConn.

Their priorites in management have been out of whack since the early 1990s. THey've been operating under the false pretenses that basketball as a sport can outweigh football when it comes to revenue streams in intercollegiate athletics. SOmethign that was temporarily the case in the 1980s, due to circumstances in intercollegiate athletics aroudn - football. It was over by the early 1990s. They didn't want to accept it for two decades.

They've managed to produce a football league for over 20 years now, that clearly - CLEARLY - is not the worthless crap that ESPN propoganda would have the country believe.

THey've managed to do it, by doing the least amount of work they need to do, around football, and maintain a revolving door of programs, and do it all to maintain the status of their basketball league.

A bunch of clowns like you've got running some other conferences, aren't going to be able to do that.

I've said for a long time now, that as long as the priorities in management shift over there in Providence, such that they finally realize that survival of the basketball conference is dependant on a full effort to build the strongest football conference they can build, rather than the most minimal football conference they need......

the big east is going to be just fine moving forward.

I think they finally get it. They had to go all the way to San Diego this year, to keep their seat at the big boy table. There won't be a next time.

Reaction Score

Which is related to the original post how?

Typical BC, Syracuse, Pitt bull . We know the conference is over-rated and hyped so the networks can make more money, but we don't care, because we are getting our share. Has nothing to do with athletic competition, fair play and everything to do with gaining an unfair advantage. Not that it seems to ever do the ACC any good on the field.

Reaction Score
I wrote somewhere else that off the hardwood, and off the gridiron, West Virginia and what they're doing and how they're doing it doesn't impress me at all. I think Oliver Luck is an idiot for putting West Virginia in the position they're in, but as far as the football team goes?

Hell yeah, thanks to WVU for stomping the shiite out of top 15 ranked Clemson last night. And thanks to Dana Holgorsen, for being the kind of guy he is, and not beat around the bush when talking to the media....

"I've only been there a year, I know, but West Virginia has won three BCS games in the last six years, which is a pretty good track record," Holgorsen said. "West Virginia has been in the Big East for the last six years, last time I checked. So I think that's a pretty good track record.

"Then going through the Big East schedule one year, we had some pretty tough games. We lost a couple of those, and then the ones that we won were tough. So the product at West Virginia was out there. There was a lot of teams in the Big East that gave us all we wanted."

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/28629/page/orange/wvu-wins-one-for-the-big-east

But anyway, that WVU team has a great QB, adn too much firepower on offense for an opposing team to give up momentum like that, we found out first hand, and gave up 23 points in a single quarter, and we did better than Clemson did against that team, on their home turf.

The espn writer I quoted above goes on to ponder, well what happens when WVU leaves? Well it's pretty simple, Boise St. Houston, SMU, Air Force, San Diego State, and Central Florida are coming. I don't see how the record of success of the big east conference is going to change much, just the names on the front of the jerseys.

The big east can't keep doing this anymore though, that's the thing.

Reaction Score
The ACC does indeed have the worst winning percentage of ANY conference involved in the BCS games...BY FAR!! It's .133, (2-13), just disgraceful! As for the Big East, it's record now sits at .500 (7-7). In fact, the BE now holds a better winning percentage than BOTH the BIG 12, .421 (8-11), AND the BIG TEN, .458 (12-13). Not too bad for a conference which the ESPN pundits love to snicker at. Maybe they should look at the actual records, instead of listening to themselves and their colleagues!

Speaking of the ACC, the two conference schools with the worst BCS records just happen to be the two powerhouse programs, VT (1-4) and FSU (1-5)! But aren't they the two schools mentioned as objecting to the ACC's football strength getting watered down by adding a school like UConn? Hmmm....better to point at someone else rather than look in the mirror I suppose!

One other interesting observation regards the three schools that left the BE. We know how VT has done in the BCS games it's been involved in since leaving (1-4), but would anyone like to guess how many games "New England's Team" (BCU) has been involved in since they departed? Surprise surprise...it's zero, of course! More surprisingly perhaps, since Donna Shalala pulled Miami out of the BE in order to put them into a better long-term position (as she stated at the time), just how many BCS appearances has the juggernaut Miami made? Yes..it's also exactly....ZERO!!

Reaction Score
Oops I forgot to write the most important part of that before,

Am I the only one that was feeling all kinds of deja vu when the flood gates opened after WVU defense picked up a loose ball and returned it the length of the field as Clemson was driving in for a go ahead score?

We handled that momentum swing a lot a better than Clemson did, that's for sure.

Reaction Score
Pre-game comments from the Clemson coach came back to haunt him..

In response to a question from Erin Andrews, he said that at the end of the game, he hoped that it was the Clemson defense that was being talked about not their offense.

He certainly got his wish..:)

Reaction Score
First off--I really enjoyed this beatdown that WVU put on Clemson. It really made the tralking heads look particularly silly in their predictions. I congratulate WVU on putting together a performance for the ages. We will miss that program when it is gone because they have credibility due to their three BCS wins for this conference.

Secondly, there is no question that the Big East has a better record in Bowl Games and in BCS bowl games than some of the other more respected conferences. One thing however that gets overlooked is that our conference gets more competitive matchups and more winable games because of the poor recognition and poorer tie-ins that we have vis a vis other conferences. When some of the teams from these over-rated conferences get their match-ups they often can't measure up to the team they are matched with. I think this has been a problem with the ACC and the Big Ten in recent years. I don't know whether the record proves we are better but certainly it shows that we are not as bad as our critics make us out to be and it shows that these other conferences have teams with plenty of deficiencies as well. But no worries, with ESPN spinning what we should think there won't be much fall out for the other conferences and we'll continue to be looked down on as a league. Oh well...

Reaction Score
That's correct, but totally misses the context of last night's game and this thread.

Yes, it is overly simplistic to simply compare the Big East's bowl record to that of other conference because our lack of market power pushes us downstream in our bowl contracts. Duh.

But that is totally irrelevant to the fact that you can't hide BCS Bowl records, because those are only against top level opponents for us or anyone else. And, since we reconstituted our conference last time, we are 4-3. And 2-1 head to head against the ACC. Period. No apologies necessary.

Reaction Score
First off--I really enjoyed this beatdown that WVU put on Clemson. It really made the tralking heads look particularly silly in their predictions. I congratulate WVU on putting together a performance for the ages. We will miss that program when it is gone because they have credibility due to their three BCS wins for this conference.

Secondly, there is no question that the Big East has a better record in Bowl Games and in BCS bowl games than some of the other more respected conferences. One thing however that gets overlooked is that our conference gets more competitive matchups and more winable games because of the poor recognition and poorer tie-ins that we have vis a vis other conferences. When some of the teams from these over-rated conferences get their match-ups they often can't measure up to the team they are matched with. I think this has been a problem with the ACC and the Big Ten in recent years. I don't know whether the record proves we are better but certainly it shows that we are not as bad as our critics make us out to be and it shows that these other conferences have teams with plenty of deficiencies as well. But no worries, with ESPN spinning what we should think there won't be much fall out for the other conferences and we'll continue to be looked down on as a league. Oh well...

The BE has faced the best of the ACC and Big12 in those victories. So, in the BCS games at least, they played the top of other conferences. The only 2nd best team they had a victory over was WV over Georgia of the SEC.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the reality check. I agree that the best measure is the performance of the conference champion in the BCS game vs. another conferences champion. WVU has really helped us there with 3 great wins. There's no question that our conference record in these games is very respectable and the ACC's record is pathetic. I didn't mean to obscure or gloss over that point.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the reality check. I agree that the best measure is the performance of the conference champion in the BCS game vs. another conferences champion. WVU has really helped us there with 3 great wins. There's no question that our conference record in these games is very respectable and the ACC's record is pathetic. I didn't mean to obscure or gloss over that point.

I disagree. The best measure is inter-conference games at every juncture and at every point in the season. Head-to-head, top-to-bottom. MLB does it right . . . you have the World Series, of course, but you also have the All Star game and fairly extensive (15-18 games) Interleague play (perhaps the best measure).

So . . . not sure about ACC vs Big East overall strength. What is pretty certain is that West Virginia has represented well over the years. Unfortunately, they're soon to be gone.

One thing for certain, UConn has two chances next season to do it's part to make the case for the Big East being the superior conference. They are huge games that are far more important (perception wise) than beating a Buffalo or a UMass. And UConn's record against the ACC hasn't been stellar: UNC 0-2, NCSU 0-1 (maybe 0-2, didn't bother to look it up), Wake 1-2, UVA 1-1, G Tech (0-2), Duke 2-0, BCU 0-2 (didn't bother to count very first meeting), Miami 0-1 and VT 0-1 (possibly 0-2, but again not worth the search).

Reaction Score
I disagree. The best measure is inter-conference games at every juncture and at every point in the season. Head-to-head, top-to-bottom. MLB does it right . . . you have the World Series, of course, but you also have the All Star game and fairly extensive (15-18 games) Interleague play (perhaps the best measure).

So . . . not sure about ACC vs Big East overall strength. What is pretty certain is that West Virginia has represented well over the years. Unfortunately, they're soon to be gone.

One thing for certain, UConn has two chances next season to do it's part to make the case for the Big East being the superior conference. They are huge games that are far more important (perception wise) than beating a Buffalo or a UMass. And UConn's record against the ACC hasn't been stellar: UNC 0-2, NCSU 0-1 (maybe 0-2, didn't bother to look it up), Wake 1-2, UVA 1-1, G Tech (0-2), Duke 2-0, BCU 0-2 (didn't bother to count very first meeting), Miami 0-1 and VT 0-1 (possibly 0-2, but again not worth the search).

One day, my friend, you are going to have to explain to me why, as a UConn fan, you find a need to turn any thread into an anti-UConn, anti-Big East discussion. I just don't get it.

1. Why anyone would take a bunch of UConn losses to ACC members before UConn was a BCS school, and thrust them forward like they mean something, I don't get. We do have a losing record versus the ACC overall since joining the BCS world, but why a UConn fan feels the need to distort the real record it by including ancient history ....

2. If it makes you feel better, even before giving effect to the VPI loss and the WVU demolition of Clemson, the Big East was ahead of the ACC in the Sagarins. There really is no arguing that, looking at BCS bowl records, overall bowl records, head to head and overall computer rankings, the 7 year history of the reconstituted Big East has been better than the history of the ACC over that time period.

Reaction Score
You know td, you really do like to look at the negatives, don't you? A couple of asterisk maybe on UCONN's record against the "ACC." the BC, Miami and Virginia tech games all came when those teams were in the Big East, and I would argue BC and Miami were actually much better than theyhave been in the ACC...And several o fthose games came while UCONN was in its transitional period which at the time was 2 years (although it has since been changed to 1 year). I'll concede that the 2000 BC game and the 2001 VaTech game "count," but do you really think they demonstrate anything abou tthe relative strengths of the conferences? By the way, UCONN wasn't in the Big East at the time either. Nor were we in 2003 when we lsot to Miami, although they were in the Big East. Same thing with the NC State game for that matter...we weren't part of the Big East when we lost that one. I'm not arguing we have a stellar record against the ACC. We don't. It is something like 3-6 since we joined the Big East. But seriously, counting games against Big East teams and games from our tranition seasons really misrepresents the situation I think. Sort of like arguing that barely have a winning record against high school teams since we have losing records against both willimantic High School and Springfield High school though we managed to win 9 of 13 aginst Norwich Free Academy.

Reaction Score
One day, my friend, you are going to have to explain to me why, as a UConn fan, you find a need to turn any thread into an anti-UConn, anti-Big East discussion. I just don't get it.

Just saying "One thing for certain, UConn has two chances next season to do it's part to make the case for the Big East being the superior conference. They are huge games that are far more important (perception wise) than beating a Buffalo or a UMass." What part of this is negative . . . or argumentative?

UConn has not had the upper hand against the ACC (a fact) , so it's hard to brag on that. West Virginia is sort of the Big East's way of saying "My big brother can beat up your big brother". How nice would it be for the Huskies to be what West Virginia has currently been?

For a program like UConn, the OOC games against other BCS programs are huge - or do you disagree with that? Was a win against Buffalo of equal value to a win against Vandy? Or a win against Fordham the same as a win against Iowa State? Yeah . . . a win's a win but - at the risk of being negative - let's get it done against the big boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom