Aaliyah Edwards: Canada Basketball write-up | The Boneyard

Aaliyah Edwards: Canada Basketball write-up

Reaction Score
Here's an article on Aaliyah Edwards from Canada Basketball, the organization that selects and trains Canada's National teams. I believe this is the first time they have ever done a Player Spotlight on a female high school basketball player. Aaliyah and Kia Nurse are a heck of a duo to potentially build a National team around. She's going to be a star here at UConn, maybe even as soon as next year.

Reaction Score
I think the 2020 class will be one of the better classes to even enter UConn, I see 3 potential All Americans in Paige, Mir, and Aaliyah. I like Edwards game, in her highlights she looks more and more like a combo forward and she should be able to slide in both forward spots, she has strong shoulders so she should be able to bang down low, a decent handle so I expect to see her grab a rebound and go coast to coast with the ball. She reminds me a little bit of Marissa Coleman who started and was a star play for Maryland.

Reaction Score
While Aaliyah may not arrive here with the fanfare that Paige will, she is a very well known commodity in Canada among scouts, coaches, National team personnel. I think she can make an impact, if not almost immediately then by season's end. I wouldn't be surprised if she's a fixture in the starting lineup by tourney time. In a way she's most ready to make an immediate impact because of her size, versatility, and skillset.

So how good is she according to those who've watched her the past two season? Here's one opinion:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
A lot of good young talent for the Canadian National Team - Nurse, Edwards, Lattimore, Amihere... Great core to build around.

Are there any elite PG's coming out of Canada? Shay Colley was supposed to be a really good one, but she bounced around US colleges (SC and then Michigan State), and went undrafted in the 2020 WNBA draft. I think she had some injuries...

At any rate, I'm exceptionally high on Aaliyah. I believe she's one of the top 5 recruits in her class in comparing her to her American counterparts.

Reaction Score
It's too bad Edwards missed at least practicing with the national team this summer. The pace and physicality of that would have really helped her transition to college.
I agree Alydar. Fortunately, most of the other players are rowing in that same boat.

Reaction Score
DITTO!!! ;) Preach brother!!! :)
Here me brethren. AAliyah will smite the Notre Dame philistines and not allow the Big East heathens to pass. Verily, I say unto you that she and Sister Ono will climb the mountain and bring back rebounds from all who dare tread in their path.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Here me brethren. AAliyah will smite the Notre Dame philistines and not allow the Big East heathens to pass. Verily, I say unto you that she and Sister Ono will climb the mountain and bring back rebounds from all who dare tread in their path.
LOL. You’ve been inside too long.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom