AAC football power rankings: Parity rules, but Memphis & USF start out slightly ahead (Connelly) | The Boneyard

AAC football power rankings: Parity rules, but Memphis & USF start out slightly ahead (Connelly)

Reaction Score
No real surprise due to unknowns and his UConn Team Review previously posted: 2017 AAC power rankings: Parity rules

Projected conference wins, with overall wins in parentheses.

West
  1. Memphis: 5.4 (8.4)
  2. Houston: 5.1 (7.8)
  3. Navy: 4.1 (6.3)
  4. Tulsa: 3.9 (5.9)
  5. SMU: 3.7 (6.0)
  6. Tulane: 2.8 (4.7)
East
  1. USF: 5.4 (8.6)
  2. Temple: 4.8 (7.5)
  3. Cincinnati: 4.4 (6.7)
  4. UCF: 4.1 (6.4)
  5. East Carolina: 2.8 (4.1)
  6. UConn: 1.6 (3.1)

Reaction Score
It's certainly not unreasonable and shows exactly what happens when you have six years of total duck*ing incompetence.

Reaction Score
The problem with the AAC is it's actually loaded with pretty decent teams that generate zero national interest. Other than Navy and UConn, each is over shadowed by a much bigger national presence in their backyard.

USF and UCF ( Miami, Florida, FSU)
Memphis (Tennessee)
ECU (NC State and UNC)
Houston and SMU ( UT, A&M, TT)
Tulsa (OU)
Cincy (OSU)
Tulane (LSU)

Reaction Score
You know, UConn is lucky to be in the AAC. If Randy does not turn it around, UConn may be invited to leave.

Reaction Score
The problem with the AAC is it's actually loaded with pretty decent teams that generate zero national interest. Other than Navy and UConn, each is over shadowed by a much bigger national presence in their backyard.

USF and UCF ( Miami, Florida, FSU)
Memphis (Tennessee)
ECU (NC State and UNC)
Houston and SMU ( UT, A&M, TT)
Tulsa (OU)
Cincy (OSU)
Tulane (LSU)

TCU, Boise St and Oregon were in the shadows too but winning can elevate anyone to national prominence. Keep in mind the league is going into only it's fifth season.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Where I would rate these programs in my mind based on historical accomplishment over the past 20 years/general perception and potential. I am not projecting the coming season, just ordering the programs based on my perception of their long term potential.

West
  1. Houston
  2. Navy
  3. Tulsa
  4. Memphis
  5. SMU
  6. Tulane
East
  1. Cincinnati
  2. UConn <--being a bit of a homer here
  3. Temple
  4. USF
  5. UCF
  6. ECU
For the coming season UConn needs Temple to take a step back and Cincy to remain in neutral. For conference respect we need Navy to continue to do what they do and perhaps USF to be that exciting team with Flowers at QB.

Reaction Score
I'm going on record that UConn will be one of 2017's surprise teams. Too much is happening with the new coaching schemes on O and D and the players know its not phony. They've bought in. This team will have a breakout year. I'm excited.

Reaction Score
I'm going on record that UConn will be one of 2017's surprise teams. Too much is happening with the new coaching schemes on O and D and the players know its not phony. They've bought in. This team will have a breakout year. I'm excited.
Unfortunately UConn is coming into the speed up offense a little late to surprise anyone. Everyone has seen it, or done it, or at least have had to scheme against it and.... this years version of that offense will be a work in progress, not anywhere near a polished threat. The Huskies saving grace could be a attacking 3-3-5 defense that creates turnovers handing the ball back to a speed up offense in desperate need of as many snaps as they can muster in order to improve.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm not sold on how well they will do, yet, (neither is HCRE2, if I read him correctly) but I do fully expect that watching a UConn football game will not be the soul deadening experience that it was last year. That alone is a major step in the right direction. Heck, it may actually be fun again.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
TCU, Boise St and Oregon were in the shadows too but winning can elevate anyone to national prominence. Keep in mind the league is going into only it's fifth season.
Yes -The point I was making is the AAC is stronger than it looks and the teams are on average pretty competitive with each other. They just get no respect. A quality 9-3, 10-2 team with an in-conference loss even with a win against a P5 is discounted because they don't consistently play higher level competition . It's a circular reference.

Reaction Score
We're in a minor conference where teams and conferences instead of working together are all hoping to get picked up by a P5 conference. G5 should organize into 4 conferences with its playoff champion getting a spot in an expanded CFP. We are heading in the direction of having the old 1AA designation.

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, there were a lot of blow out games in the AAC. There is not that much parity among the teams. There is a distinct top 2 teams then everyone else.

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, there were a lot of blow out games in the AAC. There is not that much parity among the teams. There is a distinct top 2 teams then everyone else.
I think there is parity. Each year there has been a different conference champion and in 2014 there was a three way tie for conference champion. UCF(2013), UCF, Memphis & Cincy(2014), Houston(2015) and Temple(2016). Navy has been giving folks in the AAC fits and now USF looks like they could compete for the conference championship this upcoming season.

Reaction Score
There's some okay information in the article but I don't think he has a great handle on what's possibly going to happen at quarterback this year. And I'm going to have to disagree about the tight end situation. I think our guys can contribute at that position.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom