AAC Basketball Media Day (merged threads) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AAC Basketball Media Day (merged threads)

Reaction Score
I'm really glad to see that USF got a vote for #1.

Either: Jose voting for his own team, which is very cool
Or: Geno playing head games with his own team and out of well-deserved respect for Jose
Or: someone just pissed at UConn and hopin' and prayin'
Or: someone just plain out of their cotton pickin' mind....

Can't vote for your own team. I would think Geno voted for USF.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I'm really glad to see that USF got a vote for #1.

Either: Jose voting for his own team, which is very cool
Or: Geno playing head games with his own team and out of well-deserved respect for Jose
Or: someone just pissed at UConn and hopin' and prayin'
Or: someone just plain out of their cotton pickin' mind....
Bags, as I recall, none of the AAC voting for any awards allow the coaches to vote for “their own”, which, quite honestly, I fully support. That said, I am rooting for every other team not named USF to come in 2nd place this year after UConn...

Reaction Score
I could see Geno giving Tulane props after their tussle last year. I don't think you can vote for your own squad.

Reaction Score
Bags, as I recall, none of the AAC voting for any awards allow the coaches to vote for “their own”, which, quite honestly, I fully support. That said, I am rooting for every other team not named USF to come in 2nd place this year after UConn...
Thanks.

what's your animus toward USF? Just curious? Always thought Jose was a good coach.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I am watching AAC Media Day live. It is very good. UConn has been voted #1 by the Coaches as well as having 4 players voted to the 1st team and 2nd team along with POY by the Coaches.

Also, Coach Geno Auriemma spoke very well, and one of his answers was very unexpected by me, because he has had so many great players. I can't tell you the exact question, but his answer was....Jamelle Elliot.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Thanks.

what's your animus toward USF? Just curious? Always thought Jose was a good coach.
My pleasure with adding value for you (or hopefully adding value for you)!

Jose recruits far too many Europeans for my taste. There is plenty of US talent with young women who would benefit from a subsidized education. Having 8or 9 Euros is 7 or 8 too many. Title IX is designed to help balance women opportunities. I view that as taking care of US women first, Jose does not. Again, 1 or 2, I will live with, the level he has taken it to is unacceptable, IMHO...

Reaction Score

Jose recruits far too many Europeans for my taste. There is plenty of US talent with young women who would benefit from a subsidized education. Having 8or 9 Euros is 7 or 8 too many. Title IX is designed to help balance women opportunities. I view that as taking care of US women first, Jose does not. Again, 1 or 2, I will live with, the level he has taken it to is unacceptable, IMHO...
Thanks for the response, and I definitely see your point.

I had dinner recently with a couple of D-1 coaches of relatively "minor" sports or at least sports not treated as major at that particular university. It was amazing how much pressure they still felt to develop winning teams. Many want to move up to better paying/more visible positions, but many just feel that if they don't have a strong record that eventually the AD will get around to firing them. I can certainly see your point about recruiting so extensively athletes who view American universities as places to effectively hang out for 1-4 years with their ways paid, while they learn English, make contacts, etc, and then go back and play pro ball. Not much different in essence then the 1 and done afflicting MCBB. I don't know whether USF could be competitive otherwise, however.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Not his job. His job is to win.

I assume you do not wish UCONN to win either. Since Geno does not use all 15 of the scholarships, hence 2-3 US women each year do not get a subsidized education each year. (avg.)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Washington State has 7 foreigners from 6 different countries. With them I assumed coach Daugherty had trouble recruiting U.S. players to the Palouse, so she went with other options.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Bummer. I live 45 mins from the airport and would volunteer but I have to work tomorrow.

If they had been stranded in D.C., I’d be all over this. I’m not sure the NCAA would like it, however.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Thanks for the response, and I definitely see your point.

I had dinner recently with a couple of D-1 coaches of relatively "minor" sports or at least sports not treated as major at that particular university. It was amazing how much pressure they still felt to develop winning teams. Many want to move up to better paying/more visible positions, but many just feel that if they don't have a strong record that eventually the AD will get around to firing them. I can certainly see your point about recruiting so extensively athletes who view American universities as places to effectively hang out for 1-4 years with their ways paid, while they learn English, make contacts, etc, and then go back and play pro ball. Not much different in essence then the 1 and done afflicting MCBB. I don't know whether USF could be competitive otherwise, however.
Well,my esteemed colleague, here is where we must part on this discussion: I too, actually think Jose can coach a bit, so why can’t he sell that fact to American Young Women? Is he following the rules? Yes he is, but then should we have higher standards and go back to the concept that college isn’t for everybody and the schools need to decide what is the criteria for their non-revenue sports? Is it solid teams, with good GPA’s and solid Alumni support? And let’s face it, for every WBB save UConn, no one,and I repeat, no one makes money. Once Geno retires, UConn will also lose money, but I didn’t mean to sound so dour on a VERY BRIGHT UPCOMING SEASON!! I am looking forward to see the improvement of the team and what promise the incoming class holds!

Reaction Score
Well,my esteemed colleague, here is where we must part on this discussion: I too, actually think Jose can coach a bit, so why can’t he sell that fact to American Young Women? Is he following the rules? Yes he is, but then should we have higher standards and go back to the concept that college isn’t for everybody and the schools need to decide what is the criteria for their non-revenue sports? Is it solid teams, with good GPA’s and solid Alumni support? And let’s face it, for every WBB save UConn, no one,and I repeat, no one makes money. Once Geno retires, UConn will also lose money, but I didn’t mean to sound so dour on a VERY BRIGHT UPCOMING SEASON!! I am looking forward to see the improvement of the team and what promise the incoming class holds!
and right back at ya! :)
A Battle Across the Border in Recruiting
Men's Rowing in the U.S., Part 1: The International Presence at U.S. Colleges
What's behind the international player boom in college basketball?
Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 8.30.26 PM.png

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Carl on Lou not being a unanimous 1st team pick:

Samuelson is coming off one of the best sophomore seasons in UConn history. She averaged 20.2 points on 48.6 percent shooting from the floor (while reaching the 1,000-point plateau for her career), 3.9 rebounds and 3.2 assists in 37 games. She ranked second in the league in scoring, 11th in assists and seventh in assist-to-turnover ratio. She and teammate Kia Nurse were the only players to rank in the top 10 in the league in field-goal percentage, free-throw percentage and 3-point shooting percentage. Last month, she was the youngest player and one of five collegians to take part in a United States senior national team camp in California.

Who knew she got worse in the last seven months?

"I got a little better, actually," Samuelson said with a smile after noting she's been spending quality time on the practice court with coach Geno Auriemma and assistant Shea Ralph. "I'm working on trying to play through anything and finding different ways to get open so people can't take me out of the game. I've been finishing a lot better and attacking the basket a lot harder."

Samuelson takes AAC coaches vote in stride

Reaction Score
Does it get any better than Gabby's description of of Squid Ink Pasta........"It's Fishy", followed by her own drum rimshot. Gotta love that girl! (Right around 3:42:00)

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Carl on Lou not being a unanimous 1st team pick:

Samuelson is coming off one of the best sophomore seasons in UConn history. She averaged 20.2 points on 48.6 percent shooting from the floor (while reaching the 1,000-point plateau for her career), 3.9 rebounds and 3.2 assists in 37 games. She ranked second in the league in scoring, 11th in assists and seventh in assist-to-turnover ratio. She and teammate Kia Nurse were the only players to rank in the top 10 in the league in field-goal percentage, free-throw percentage and 3-point shooting percentage. Last month, she was the youngest player and one of five collegians to take part in a United States senior national team camp in California.

Who knew she got worse in the last seven months?

"I got a little better, actually," Samuelson said with a smile after noting she's been spending quality time on the practice court with coach Geno Auriemma and assistant Shea Ralph. "I'm working on trying to play through anything and finding different ways to get open so people can't take me out of the game. I've been finishing a lot better and attacking the basket a lot harder."

Samuelson takes AAC coaches vote in stride
Damn! Lou was 11th in the conference in assists and 7th in A:TO ratio. That’s impressive for an elite finisher.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Washington State has 7 foreigners from 6 different countries. With them I assumed coach Daugherty had trouble recruiting U.S. players to the Palouse, so she went with other options.
"Foreigners?" Oy vey. "International" players.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I could see Geno giving Tulane props after their tussle last year. I don't think you can vote for your own squad.
Tulane lost two key starters including Vorpahl, and they didn't even make the tournament last year due to bad losses down the stretch of conference play.

USF was a tournament team and gets all but one starter back from last year, plus Ferreira (a two-year starter who sat last year with injury) and Alba Prieto (a well-regarded point guard from Spain).

The team that got underrated in the coaches' poll is UCF. They get almost everyone back (including 1st-Team all-AAC pick Aliyah Gregory) from a team that finished last year on a tear, winning 7 of their last 8 conference games against teams other than UConn, including a win over USF and two wins over Tulane. They also won a game in the WNIT before losing in the 2nd round at Georgia Tech in a game that was close until the final couple minutes. This team will make some noise this year.

Even before the unfortunate ACL injury to Alliya Butts, I would've had UCF ahead of Temple, and now even more so.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno in rare form.

Question. " How does the team bounce back from having their hearts broken from the final four last year?"

Geno " Oh. Poor babies. ........ It's a game" :rolleyes:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
their Facebook "Live" video was the best thing of the whole Media Day thingy

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members