AAC Adding FAU, UTSA, Rice, North Texas, Charlotte, and UAB | The Boneyard

AAC Adding FAU, UTSA, Rice, North Texas, Charlotte, and UAB

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
That lineup is pure ugly. Goodbye ESPN deal!

Reaction Score
Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
This conference officially blows. The fact they couldn't steal Sunbelt teams is telling. Good luck Memphis and Temple.

Memphis and SMU need to run to the MWC and beg to get in. Temple needs to go independent and go to the A10 or ask the MAC for membership.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Memphis and SMU need to run to the MWC and beg to get in. Temple needs to go independent and go to the A10 or ask the MAC for membership.
Memphis and SMU fans think there is going to be a second wave of B12invitations for some reason.

Reaction Score
Memphis and SMU fans think there is going to be a second wave of B12invitations for some reason.
I'd be surprised if there was another B12 expansion right-quick; unless it made those schools take a lower initial payout for a handful of years like the Big 10 did to Rutgers/Maryland.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
That lineup is pure ugly. Goodbye ESPN deal!
Why? They are getting paid next to nothing to produce their own streaming content for ESPN+. That’s still a good deal for ESPN.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Why? They are getting paid next to nothing to produce their own streaming content for ESPN+. That’s still a good deal for ESPN.
Are you arguing that the television lineup for the teams still left in AAC is attractive with the addition of those teams? Who cares if it is cheap content for ESPN. The Ratings will prove to be dismal and if they can keep their content rate for the remaining teams close to $7 million with partial payments and exit fees then good for them.

But I shiver to think we might have been playing those schools in football and basketball. We should be thanking everyone that got us out in time.

CL82

Reaction Score
Are you arguing that the television lineup for the teams still left in AAC is attractive with the addition of those teams? Who cares if it is cheap content for ESPN. The Ratings will prove to be dismal and if they can keep their content rate for the remaining teams close to $7 million with partial payments and exit fees then good for them.

But I shiver to think we might have been playing those schools in football and basketball. We should be thanking everyone that got us out in time.
I don’t believe online content impacts, or is impacted by, “ratings“. I also do not believe that the American teams are currently getting $7 million from ESPN. If I recall correctly, the payments to the league increase over the duration of the contract. I suspect that they are currently below $7 million.

It wouldn’t particularly surprise me if ESPN invokes the clause which states if UConn, Houston and Cincinnati all leave the conference, they have a right to renegotiate the deal. That could result in a lower per team distribution. But I strongly doubt ESPN will abandon its contract with the American altogether. It is very inexpensive content that supports it’s online platform. So, no, it isn’t particularly attractive content, it is just inexpensive available content.

Reaction Score
ESPN has been in trouble with its parent Disney for quite some time.
  • Big football contracts with lower than expected viewers resulting in rebates to advertisers;
  • The steady decline of cable;
  • The disappointing ACCN (delayed launch with low viewership and the failure to secure a Comcast contract);
  • And now rumors of Disney (denied by Disney) spinning off ESPN created a spike in shares of Disney stock price so investors see it as a positive move.
ESPN has to figure out how to make up $3 billion in annual lost pay-TV subscription revenue that’s coming in the next few years as cord-cutting continues, a decline that Disney executives are anticipating, according to people familiar with the matter.

Reaction Score
SMU has to be looking to get out. I'm certain Memphis thinks they're a lock if the Big XII is expanding again and won't risk it paying two buyouts.

I wonder if the MWC's first move is SMU & Tulsa because otherwise they're aced out elsewhere.. and then they build in, insurance for if Boise leaves with a Montana or FCS school as rumored.

CL82

Reaction Score
ESPN has been in trouble with its parent Disney for quite some time.
  • Big football contracts with lower than expected viewers resulting in rebates to advertisers;
  • The steady decline of cable;
  • The disappointing ACCN (delayed launch with low viewership and the failure to secure a Comcast contract);
  • And now rumors of Disney (denied by Disney) spinning off ESPN created a spike in shares of Disney stock price so investors see it as a positive move.
ESPN has to figure out how to make up $3 billion in annual lost pay-TV subscription revenue that’s coming in the next few years as cord-cutting continues, a decline that Disney executives are anticipating, according to people familiar with the matter.
You hate to see it.

Reaction Score
I feel bad for SMU. They were really starting to build up their brand and could’ve thrived in the AAC.
I don't feel bad for anyone. Not SMU, Temple, or Memphis, or anyone. The last time I felt bad for someone, Cincy, they got the golden ticket eventually. Those others will land on their feet. Or they won't, but feeling bad for other schools gets UConn nowhere.

CL82

Reaction Score
The last time I felt bad for someone, Cincy, they got the golden ticket eventually.
Mmm, Silver ticket but I’m glad they got out.

Reaction Score
To think Tulane was once in the SEC in the mid '60s and chose to leave.

Reaction Score
Houston has put both football and basketball teams in the top 10 lately. Really need to get out.

Reaction Score
Houston has put both football and basketball teams in the top 10 lately. Really need to get out.

Here, take my hand. Come out from under your rock.

Houston is going to B12 w/ Cinci, UCF & BYU.

They expanded after Texas and Oklahoma announced they’re leaving for SEC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom