OT: - A Uconn hoodie in Guatemala! | The Boneyard

OT: A Uconn hoodie in Guatemala!

Reaction Score
Hi guys. Not sure how familiar you all are with Guatemala (City) but on the outskirts of the city, there is this HUGE church, the size of a football stadium called Case de Dios. Kind of obscure, I know. But if you ever saw it, you would never forget it (it also has a HUGE flag of Guatemala in front). Every day I pass it on my way to work. Most days I just enjoy the views of the distant volcano but on the day of the Cuse game, I saw a surprising site! Next to the church, there is a shopping center with a McDonalds. Just outside the center, near the McD was a street vendor with a Uconn hoodie! Sometimes the carpool I am in stops at McD. If I see the guy again, I will see if I can get a pic with him (after asking kindly, haha) and post here.

What are some of your Uconn apparel sightings abroad? Do tell! I have seen a hat in Germany in the past too.

Reaction Score
Not UConn, but I did see a Celtics backpack in a small border town way out in the middle of nowhere between Kenya and Tanzania. Thought that was cool since I live right next to the Garden.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I know the younger family members in Italy like US sporting jerseys, but they never requested a UConn jersey :)

They want pro stuff, like the Yankees

Was it a 2009 National Champion Sweatshirt?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Two years ago on a tour bus in Iceland a guy was there with UConn stuff. We spoke and it turned out he was the guy who instigated the use of the football PA announcer saying “and that’s another UConn first down”. I hate that cheer, especially when we are 3-4 scores down in the 4th quarter.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I saw a guy wearing a UConn sweatshirt in the Cardiff, Wales airport last summer. It was like 5:30 a.m. and I bellowed "Go Huskies!," which boomed across the terminal (to the horror of my wife and daughters). The guy looked at me like I was a serial killer and hurried through security. I saw him again once we were in the waiting area and he seemed to be avoiding me like the plague. I finally sat near him and asked him if he went to UConn or was just a fan. Neither, as it turns out--he apparently just found the sweatshirt at a thrift store. Go figure.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
In classic Connecticut fashion, this goes without acknowledgment and no greetings exchanged.
In my book "classic Connecticut fashion" demands that you yell "Go Huskies!" loud enough to be heard by those wearing UConn gear. It *almost* always draws a favorable response (but see above...).

My oldest daughter is away (in Baltimore) for her first year of college and a couple weeks ago she texted me to report that she saw an older guy in a UConn hat and she yelled "Go Huskies!" like she had been trained to do, and next thing she knew she ended up having a nice conversation with the guy about UConn hoops. Made me proud.

Reaction Score
In my book "classic Connecticut fashion" demands that you yell "Go Huskies!" loud enough to be heard by those wearing UConn gear. It *almost* always draws a favorable response (but see above...).

My oldest daughter is away (in Baltimore) for her first year of college and a couple weeks ago she texted me to report that she saw an older guy in a UConn hat and she yelled "Go Huskies!" like she had been trained to do, and next thing she knew she ended up having a nice conversation with the guy about UConn hoops. Made me proud.

I tried to do that when I first moved here and the guy wearing the UConn hat ran away from me.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I tried to do that when I first moved here and the guy wearing the UConn hat ran away from me.
Like I said, *almost* always draws a favorable response. That time in Cardiff, not so much...

Reaction Score
Several in London a few years back. I spoke to each including one who turned out to be British and at that time a recent UConn grad.

I always bring some kind of UConn gear with me whenever I travel whether for business or pleasure.
When I fly, if I don't need to wear a suit to go directly to an appointment then more often than not I wear a Husky shirt of some kind. I often get comments. A couple of 'Ciuse fans have given me grief and I have responded with the proper Tyler Olander response.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Several in London a few years back. I spoke to each including one who turned out to be British and at that time a recent UConn grad.

I always bring some kind of UConn gear with me whenever I travel whether for business or pleasure.
When I fly, if I don't need to wear a suit to go directly to an appointment then more often than not I wear a Husky shirt of some kind. I often get comments. A couple of 'Ciuse fans have given me grief and I have responded with the proper Tyler Olander response.

4-1 is usually enough to infuriate Cuse fans, and if they come back for more I point out how we came to dominate the Big East after spotting them a decade

If they're really persistent, then just mention NBA stars and production

mission accomplished

Reaction Score
I was wearing a UConn hat in Athens, Greece, when the manager of a bakery came over and said he played soccer at UConn for a year. His name was Dimitri, he left UConn and finished his college career at Bates before returning home to Greece.

Reaction Score
My best friend was a missionary priest in Guatemala City. (He passed away in 2010.) I gave him a Uconn hat that he wore constantly there for many years.

Reaction Score
Loving these stories, thanks guys!

Today, I was in a more upscale mall and in the span of 60 seconds, I saw an ECU shirt, than a Tulane shirt. I was going to go up to one or even both and tell them they were rooting for the wrong team, but thought better of it. Plus, maybe they were currently attending (as they looked like young 20-somethings).

Reaction Score
I was sporting a UConn t shirt in the Galápagos Islands over the summer when a guy approached me. Originally born in Galápagos, moved to Mansfield at some point and graduated from EO Smith. I can't remember if he said he spent a year or two at UConn but anyway now he's back running a store on the main island down there. Right near the Darwin Research station and a block from the ocean. Said he still follows the basketball team from afar and has some family in the states. Would have completely forgot if not for this thread.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Hi guys. Not sure how familiar you all are with Guatemala (City) but on the outskirts of the city, there is this HUGE church, the size of a football stadium called Case de Dios. Kind of obscure, I know. But if you ever saw it, you would never forget it (it also has a HUGE flag of Guatemala in front). Every day I pass it on my way to work. Most days I just enjoy the views of the distant volcano but on the day of the Cuse game, I saw a surprising site! Next to the church, there is a shopping center with a McDonalds. Just outside the center, near the McD was a street vendor with a Uconn hoodie! Sometimes the carpool I am in stops at McD. If I see the guy again, I will see if I can get a pic with him (after asking kindly, haha) and post here.

What are some of your Uconn apparel sightings abroad? Do tell! I have seen a hat in Germany in the past too.
I spent two weeks in Guatemala many years ago. My buddy lived in Guatemala City and worked for an aid agency called child hope. We went to Puerto Barrios and Livingston. Took a cayuco up the Rio Dulce. Also, we rented motorcycles and went over to Lake Atitlan and the cool little town there. I can't remember the name. I think Calhoun was in his third year with the Huskies.

Reaction Score
My sister and I were in Killarney, Ireland a couple years ago. Went walking through town to find dinner and ran into a couple other UConn alum that were working over there. I was wearing a hat and one of the other guys was wearing a shirt. Fun run in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom