A new monument at Storrs will pay tribute to the dozens of alumni who have competed in the Olympic Games. | The Boneyard

A new monument at Storrs will pay tribute to the dozens of alumni who have competed in the Olympic Games.

Reaction Score

-> The rectangular prism, situated outside the Greer Field House on the Storrs campus and just north of the Jonathan statue, will soon be engraved with the students’ and coaches’ names. Some areas will remain empty to leave room for future competitors. After a formal dedication ceremony later this school year, the monument will be lit up each night. <-

Reaction Score
Nice, I guess there will be lots of the WBB names on it. Geno will be on it, but has Jim Calhoun been an Olympic coach? I'm not sure.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Looks a little bland. Some colorful Olympic rings on top would add a little to it. At minimum maybe a painted Olympic torch on top.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I retract my previous statement. That looks much better. Would have liked the Olympic rings on top or maybe the Olympic torch, but I love the spirit of it.

Reaction Score
Shouldn't the Olympic rings be on that thing, somewhere?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Maybe there is a trademark issue?
I strongly suspect this would be a permitted use since there is no attempt to profit from their use and no likelihood of brand dilution. We would just need to reach out to the IOC.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I strongly suspect this would be a permitted use since there is no attempt to profit from their use and no likelihood of brand dilution. We would just need to reach out to the IOC.
  • Can I use the Olympic rings?
    • The Olympic rings are the exclusive property of the International Olympic Committee (IOC). They are a mark protected around the world and cannot be used without the IOC's prior written consent.
      You can send a detailed request to legal@olympic.org which must include the below information:
      • Who is making the request? Name, full address, telephone and/or fax number, e-mail address. Organisation, company, museum or individual.
      • Which content is concerned? (texts, images or films)
      • How will the content be used? Private use (no broadcasting), school work, group activities, exhibition, production/broadcasting
      Learn more:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What? No Latham Act citation? In any event, my answer remains the same.
I had no idea when I replied to @Palatine and was just guessing, but I quickly googled "Olympics ring trademark" when you replied to me and the page I linked was the first thing that came up.

I think you are right that it would probably be permitted; but it looks like prior written consent is required, and I am guessing that is a process. One that I hope is being pursued.

Reaction Score
I think you are right that it would probably be permitted; but it looks like prior written consent is required, and I am guessing that is a process. One that I hope is being pursued.
The realist side of me sez that it’s probably more trouble than it’s worth… it’s a college campus and they would end up on every fraternity/sorority scavenger hunt list.

CL82

Reaction Score
The realist side of me sez that it’s probably more trouble than it’s worth… it’s a college campus and they would end up on every fraternity/sorority scavenger hunt list.
Assuming it was a fixed permanently, I find it unlikely that someone would take a hacksaw to the statue to get it off, but maybe I have unrealistic expectations of today’s youth.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Oh, I was only thinking of using the image of the rings on the plaques or engraved elsewhere on the monument, not having actual physical rings. I agree with you that that might be asking for trouble.

Reaction Score
Assuming it was a fixed permanently, I find it unlikely that someone would take a hacksaw to the statue to get it off, but maybe I have unrealistic expectations of today’s youth.
Take it from someone who shall remain unidentified - that where there is a will there is a way to get even an Abdow Big Boy statute into a dorm room. ;)

CL82

Reaction Score
Take it from someone who shall remain unidentified - that where there is a will there is a way to get even an Abdow Big Boy statute into a dorm room. ;)
Awesome….:D

CL82

Reaction Score
Oh, I was only thinking of using the image of the rings on the plaques or engraved elsewhere on the monument, not having actual physical rings. I agree with you that that might be asking for trouble.
Also a possibility. There is room above the existing plaques

Reaction Score
Putting the rings on the monument shouldn't be a problem. The monument isn't a business and we are not monetizing the rings in any way. We are not damaging the Olympics in any way. These folks all earned their way onto US Olympic teams. They are legitimate Olympians. I don't get the issue.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Putting the rings on the monument shouldn't be a problem. The monument isn't a business and we are not monetizing the rings in any way. We are not damaging the Olympics in any way. These folks all earned their way onto US Olympic teams. They are legitimate Olympians. I don't get the issue.
No one said it was an issue. It just requires advance written consent. It’s not clear whether that has been pursued.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom