'A MONSTER??' | The Boneyard

'A MONSTER??'

Reaction Score
Basketball wise, I guess she is, but AE appears to be such a sweet young lady.....obviously shown by her team-mates. I can come up with 'A Force'....but some of you sharpie BY'ers can probably come up with better. She is coming along so nicely basketball wise....where would we be w/o AE? I now see why she was named to the Canadian Nat'l Team. Really great to watch her play w/Kiah Nurse....isn't she turning in to a fine woman? I recently saw her speak about AE, and she is spectacular on TV. I don't know for sure how much Kia had to do in getting AE to UConn, but my bet is that it has happened...both intelligent Canadians. Man, Geno knows how and where to find his girls. He is an all-everything head coach.

Getting back to AE, can you imagine what kind of dominant player she will be for her remaining years in at UConn?

Reaction Score
Just to add to the developing appreciation of AE....the Butler .pdf of game stats has her drawing eight! fouls while committing just 2 in her 26 minutes. Might be something to watch - can she be a low-post foul magnet?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
As I was watching her yesterday, it occurred to me how smart a player Aaliyah is. After fouling out early in the season, I don’t think she’s picked up more than 2 fouls since. She listened to her coaches and changed the way she plays without losing her aggressiveness. Some of the blocks and steals she gets are also from smart positioning on the court - no fouls! Her on-court awareness is fantastic for any player but more so for a freshman.

This kid reminds me so much of a bigger Asjha Jones. She’s a really smart player, too, who used her size to control the paint. Now Aaliyah just needs to shoot 3’s like Asjha. Then Paige is going to have a battle with Azzi and Aaliyah for future POY awards.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I like the improvement in FT%. Now at 64%. Still under her shot % of 69.8% This is crucial if she is to be on court in the most critical moments

Reaction Score
AE is the BEAST of the big East and will own the paint in the league the next four years! And those of us fortunate enough to be UCONN fans, like Belle, get to see the wonderful well spoken Aaliyah that lives within.

Reaction Score
Paige is Paige...the best player on the court but as far as this team being a legitimate contender for the NC, AE being a dominate inside force is the most impactful. They will be tough to beat if she neutralizes the big players on other top seeded teams.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Geno said in his post game interview "If Aaliyah plays the way she did today in the NCAA's, we are going to be a really really tough out". Emphasis on "really"!!

I knew Aaliyah was going to be good. I did not know she would be this good. When we have foreign kids, it's hard to know just how "good" they will be when comparing them to Americans in the same class, as the folks who rank them don't seem to get it right very often.

Liya was not ranked on most lists, and she was outside the top 20 (maybe 23?) per HG. When @MilfordHusky and I talked about it, we agreed Liya would be a top 5 recruit compared to the others in her class, and he, having seen Nika more than me (and Andrews/Donarski/Van Lith), felt Nika was a legit top 10-15 recruit compared to her American counterparts.

So when you think about the class in total, Paige is #1. We felt Liya was a top 5. Nika a top 15. Mir a top 25. And Piath a project with no risk and a lot of upside. Even tho Oregon was ranked as having the top class, I think it's pretty clear that UCONN has the best class by a wide margin, at least after their freshman years.

Believe it or not, Liya is listed as the same height as Ashja Jones - 6'3". Liya seems taller than that to me, but it may be because she has a longer reach, and is a freshman physical specimen unlike any UCONN player we've ever seen, except maybe Tina Charles. At this point in her career, Liya could bang around against WNBA players and hold her own. But the great thing is that not only is she great now, but she's so young, and has so much yet to learn with so much upside.

I'm really excited for what the future holds for her on the team. I don't think there has ever been a freshman class (certainly not at UCONN, and possibly not ever in WCBB) who has been as good as our freshman class in making an impact their first season. And just wait till next years' class arrives!!

Reaction Score
When AE develops her mid range shooting game she will be the complete package................. based on her work ethic I would expect to see that part of her game on display next season..............add that to the addition of Ms Fudd and friends and UConn's shooting might be less of a "struggle next season.........

Reaction Score
There is an AP Photo today of Aaliyah grabbing a rebound in front of Butler guard, Jaia Alexander, in the 4th Q. Aailyah’s braids are swinging wildly and even smacking herself under her nose and by her eye. Now, I realize hair is a touchy subject today, but does anyone else find this a potential area of injury for self or other players? Ear rings, jewelry, especially necklaces are not allowed due to this potential. Is this too sensitive an area to approach today?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There is an AP Photo today of Aaliyah grabbing a rebound in front of Butler guard, Jaia Alexander, in the 4th Q. Aailyah’s braids are swinging wildly and even smacking herself under her nose and by her eye. Now, I realize hair is a touchy subject today, but does anyone else find this a potential area of injury for self or other players? Ear rings, jewelry, especially necklaces are not allowed due to this potential. Is this too sensitive an area to approach today?
She’s probably used to it and it might feel weird to her if the braids were gone.

UConn football used to have a running back Andre “Dreads” Dixon who also had long braids. He said people tried to grab his hair when he was running but he refused to cut it. he said they were ”part of him”. Guy was All Big East 1st team so obviously the hair didn’t impact his performance at all

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Basketball wise, I guess she is, but AE appears to be such a sweet young lady.....obviously shown by her team-mates. I can come up with 'A Force'....but some of you sharpie BY'ers can probably come up with better. She is coming along so nicely basketball wise....where would we be w/o AE? I now see why she was named to the Canadian Nat'l Team. Really great to watch her play w/Kiah Nurse....isn't she turning in to a fine woman? I recently saw her speak about AE, and she is spectacular on TV. I don't know for sure how much Kia had to do in getting AE to UConn, but my bet is that it has happened...both intelligent Canadians. Man, Geno knows how and where to find his girls. He is an all-everything head coach.

Getting back to AE, can you imagine what kind of dominant player she will be for her remaining years in at UConn?
THAT has been my platform all season. I see the things Aaliyah and Paige are doing now. I'm looking ahead to next season. I shake my head as I try to contemplate how good they are going to be next season. If you think Aaliyah is tough now, wait until November. As a rule, (in Geno's program) I don't expect much of anything from freshmen because HE doesn't. How many times have we heard him say that it takes "the average" freshman A FULL YEAR to learn his system, and be able to play in it?

I've become "conditioned" to believe that and expect it. This year appearing to be no different than any other, we were blessed with a plethora of freshmen. This team is top heavy with freshmen, and thus my optimism for this team to do great things was not high. As a rule, freshmen play like freshmen, make freshmen mistakes and do not provide any leadership.

During the summer I was of the opinion that whatever success this team was to have, would be solely based the ability of the returning players to lead and carry this team. I was sold on Bueckers' as a standout at the HS level, but NOT at THIS level. I was from Missouri on that possibility.

Well, as it turns out, Paige, Aaliyah and Nika ARE NOT your average freshmen. They have come in, learned the system and flourished in it, and did it in a relatively short amount of time. This team would not have enjoyed the success they have if not for these three freshmen. There have been games were they have outplayed the returning players.

Several times this season, all 3 were in the starting line up. They become more comfortable and more confident with each passing game. Knowing that she has experienced a 20+ point / 14 rebound game, don't you think Aaliyah will be striving to do it again, and again, and again?

Paige has played enough games to know that "she's got this", and the league is her oyster. She knows that she can do just about whatever she wants to. Nika too. If this UConn team can continue to play at the level they've played at since the loss, I really believe they can go deep into the tournament. I How deep is to be determined. It won't be uncommon or unexpected if any of the freshmen have a breakout game. I feel better about this team today than I did 3 weeks ago. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm just glad she is hair.

Reaction Score
As I was watching her yesterday, it occurred to me how smart a player Aaliyah is. After fouling out early in the season, I don’t think she’s picked up more than 2 fouls since. She listened to her coaches and changed the way she plays without losing her aggressiveness. Some of the blocks and steals she gets are also from smart positioning on the court - no fouls! Her on-court awareness is fantastic for any player but more so for a freshman.

This kid reminds me so much of a bigger Asjha Jones. She’s a really smart player, too, who used her size to control the paint. Now Aaliyah just needs to shoot 3’s like Asjha. Then Paige is going to have a battle with Azzi and Aaliyah for future POY awards.
Chatting yesterday with my partner re any past player who Edwards reminded me of, and Asjha from Piscataway was the only one I could come up with. Asjha was pretty good; expect Aaliyah will be better. She has nice touch at the foul line, so should be able to get behind the arc.

Reaction Score
THAT has been my platform all season. I see the things Aaliyah and Paige are doing now. I'm looking ahead to next season. I shake my head as I try to contemplate how good they are going to be next season. If you think Aaliyah is tough now, wait until November. As a rule, (in Geno's program) I don't expect much of anything from freshmen because HE doesn't. How many times have we heard him say that it takes "the average" freshman A FULL YEAR to learn his system, and be able to play in it?

I've become "conditioned" to believe that and expect it. This year appearing to be no different than any other, we were blessed with a plethora of freshmen. This team is top heavy with freshmen, and thus my optimism for this team to do great things was not high. As a rule, freshmen play like freshmen, make freshmen mistakes and do not provide any leadership.

During the summer I was of the opinion that whatever success this team was to have, would be solely based the ability of the returning players to lead and carry this team. I was sold on Bueckers' as a standout at the HS level, but NOT at THIS level. I was from Missouri on that possibility.

Well, as it turns out, Paige, Aaliyah and Nika ARE NOT your average freshmen. They have come in, learned the system and flourished in it, and did it in a relatively short amount of time. This team would not have enjoyed the success they have if not for these three freshmen. There have been games were they have outplayed the returning players.

Several times this season, all 3 were in the starting line up. They become more comfortable and more confident with each passing game. Knowing that she has experienced a 20+ point / 14 rebound game, don't you think Aaliyah will be striving to do it again, and again, and again?

Paige has played enough games to know that "she's got this", and the league is her oyster. She knows that she can do just about whatever she wants to. Nika too. If this UConn team can continue to play at the level they've played at since the loss, I really believe they can go deep into the tournament. I How deep is to be determined. It won't be uncommon or unexpected if any of the freshmen have a breakout game. I feel better about this team today than I did 3 weeks ago. :cool:
All those things you mention is why I think this might be Geno's best coaching job ever. Normally he would never vary from what he has done in the past (his way or the highway). This year he was forced to adjust because he had no choice. Having a roster with no Seniors and seven Freshman dictated a new way forward. Thankfully He and the group of Freshman were able to handle it in a remarkable way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom