a little OT: free throw accuracy...UConn men shine | The Boneyard

a little OT: free throw accuracy...UConn men shine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...onn-free-throws-0405-20140404,0,2363648.story

I will reach out to our resident free throw expert [Olde Coach] and see if he has any
wisdom on this article. The men in recent games have been almost Delle Donne- like...with asst. coach
Miller adopting a tactic used by Steve Nash. Remember that Olde Coach did a ton of research on this topic and wrote a lengthy article on it for our education. One of things he stressed was eliminating
superfluous motion...mentioned in this article. EDD was THE master at dumping unnecessary moves.

At one point she held the [girls] high school record for consecutive free throws...80. I wonder if that still stands. I was in the gym for the game when she broke the old record....69.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There is a lot to be commended in the concept because to catch, shoot and make 24 shots in 60 requires great efficiency. It reinforces the key ingredients into a efficiently repeatable motion to have success.

There is much that would be absolutely consistent with OC's material.

Much in the article reflects principles from any shooting sport. This includes moving process from the conscious mind to the subconscious by building muscle memory and allowing the conscious mind to be in the moment simply letting the shot happen in rhythm.

Mechanically, Miller looks to eliminate motion and keep the shooting mechanics as streamlined as possible.

"I think if you can get rid of all the extra motion in the shot, your rhythm and your timing becomes that much better," Miller said.

Miller said the beauty of Nash's drill is that it takes the thought process out of the endeavor. Miller concentrates on coaching technique and the speed of the drill eliminates the thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom
Top Bottom