A Dime Back write up on UConn Final 4 | The Boneyard

A Dime Back write up on UConn Final 4

Reaction Score
It’s a great read all around, interesting bits about everyone.

This is of particular interest:

A list of things Dan Hurley gets credit for:​

Roster building: What a masterpiece. It might be a happy accident of timing and gigantism that Hurley ended up with two of the ten best centers in the sport simultaneously, but the roster he’s built through recruiting, development and transfers is fairly close to perfect. He’s found the depth, shooting, size and sauce that last year’s squad lacked — a self-leveling collection that can adapt to any variety of game but has bought-in completely to Hurley’s maniacal style of rebounding and defense.

Figuring out how to use Jackson: It was an impressive trick when Big East opponents implemented the Don’t Guard Andre Jackson strategy. It was mostly effective, clearly got in his head, and it took Jackson and Hurley a few games to adjust. Now that they have, UConn’s offense is somehow better than ever. It turns out that Jackson’s speed, strength and warlockery (see above) make him extraordinarily dangerous in the paint. He catches whatever Sanogo fires at him. He’s always in position to steal an offensive rebound from some oaf. As Field of 68’s Terrence Oglesby said, Jackson has figured out how to take all that space defenders are giving him and use it as a runway. This was the most acute in-season adjustment that UConn had to make this year and, although it took a while to implement, the staff knocked it into outer space.

Allowing his assistants to do their jobs well: I say this with the absolute confidence of a dude with a twitter account: UConn has the best coaching staff in the country. While that independently rules, what’s particularly noteworthy is the openness with which Hurley acknowledges his reliance on assistants Tom Moore and Luke Murray and Associate Head Coach Kimani Young. In recent days, Hurley has basically been issuing letters of recommendation for Young and Murray in media interviews. This staff has, at most, two more games together. That’s a bummer but also a sign of success. While it will be sad to see one or both of them leave, the relationship Hurley has built with his staff inspires a lot of confidence that their replacements will also be cool. Who wouldn’t want to come be a part of this?

A totally new offense: This is where I start hooting and hollering. Some people, with the absolute confidence of a dude with a twitter account, previously accused Hurley of not running effective offensive schemes. Hurley now legally can hit those people with a folding chair. Using the aforementioned roster building, Hurley built the offense he wanted that features open threes by good shooters, a billion offensive rebounds and an endless diet of looks for his (also aforementioned) unguardable center. It’s worked so well that I’ve hit myself with a folding chair. Hurley’s recruiting classes are getting better, and after experiencing high-level success with transfers this season, he can probably count on picking from a pile of available talent each spring going forward. This accomplishment should be sustainable and supply UConn with the level of talent Hurley will need to field perennial contenders.

Overcoming college basketball officiating: I will say the hard truth that everyone’s too scared to: Boooooo! Ref, you suck! The officiating in college basketball is terrible, as it is every year and will continue to be forever because no one wants to spend money to fix it and the world is out to get me personally. UConn started the season 14-0 in large part because they were allowed to play defense. Somewhere around the time Big East refs decided to punish Dan Hurley, that changed. Why? Can’t be sure, but I have a hunch Big East refs decided to punish Dan Hurley. The officiating in league play fundamentally changed the way UConn had to play on both ends of the ball.

Fortunately, UConn made a savvy late season adjustment in the form of GETTING AWAY FROM THE BIG EAST REFS PUNISHING DAN HURLEY. It’s amazing to watch basketball again. May it never leave us.

Reaction Score
Good read and good acknowledgment of Dan on his coaches and own shortcomings that he talked about with the media this week. warlockery? I guess I’m too old and not nerdy enough to fully understand.

Reaction Score
Granted I’ve had a cocktail but for some reason when I saw this thread title I immediately thought it was a Ken Krayeske hit piece.

Reaction Score
BE refs might have caused UConn to lose a bunch (6) BE games. BUT the other side of the coin is UConn thrived after the worst officiating and know how to play with bad refs. It's a great advantage under adverse conditions.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
BE refs might have caused UConn to lose a bunch (6) BE games. BUT the other side of the coin is UConn thrived after the worst officiating and know how to play with bad refs. It's a great advantage under adverse conditions.
Agree fully and I will also add that the near monumental meltdown against PC in the BET ended up helping as this had to be pretty fresh in everyone's heads when we had huge leads against Arkansas and Gonzaga ten minutes into the second half. The players and the staff knew too well what a careless stretch could lead to in that situation.

Reaction Score
I keep thinking about how Texas lost that huge lead with 7 minutes left and then the huge penalty and the 1 pt FT win for Miami. Hopefully there will be no Miami comeback at any time during the semi final.

Reaction Score
You could see the rebuild coming…when Hurley got here… first uconn stopped getting run off the court… they played tough physical basketball …then Hurley started winning the recruiting battles…last year we played great defense and rebounding buy lacked shooters…this year we have it all..plus a top 5 recruiting class coming in next year

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Agree fully and I will also add that the near monumental meltdown against PC in the BET ended up helping as this had to be pretty fresh in everyone's heads when we had huge leads against Arkansas and Gonzaga ten minutes into the second half. The players and the staff knew too well what a careless stretch could lead to in that situation.
Put me in the category they still need a little work in that category.

If they get a 29 point lead on Miami they might want to be careful not letting them have a 10-0 run in a short time like in the Arkansas game.

That would be a dangerous way!

Reaction Score
Figuring out how to use Jackson: It was an impressive trick when Big East opponents implemented the Don’t Guard Andre Jackson strategy. It was mostly effective, clearly got in his head, and it took Jackson and Hurley a few games to adjust. Now that they have, UConn’s offense is somehow better than ever. It turns out that Jackson’s speed, strength and warlockery (see above) make him extraordinarily dangerous in the paint. He catches whatever Sanogo fires at him. He’s always in position to steal an offensive rebound from some oaf. As Field of 68’s Terrence Oglesby said, Jackson has figured out how to take all that space defenders are giving him and use it as a runway. This was the most acute in-season adjustment that UConn had to make this year and, although it took a while to implement, the staff knocked it into outer space.

Great stuff! I watched the Connecticut Scoreboard Podcast interview with Karaban and this was the main thing that Karaban mentions as the reason for the January slide. The staff and Jackson put in a ton of work to correct this and learn every variable to make the correct read for how teams play him. Jackson is showing they perfected it. Love the commitment to get better and adapt!

Reaction Score
Overcoming college basketball officiating
There is only one way to overcome bad officiating. Ignore them mentally, and make shots. You can not out-defense the other team, bad reffing won't allow that. Instead you have to out score the other team. There is little a bad official can do if the ball keeps going through the hoop.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom