A City on a Hill | The Boneyard

A City on a Hill

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
New Boston based crime drama staring Kevin Bacon.

I like the show. It isn't the next Wire or anything, just a good solid cop show with interesting leads and a solid villain, at least through 2 episodes. The police corruption is casual while still shocking. The criminals are careful, but they are still ultimately criminals and the leader is forced to work with idiots, which creates problems.

The reviews were mixed, which I think is because the reviewers expect it to be the wire when they should just accept the show for whatever it is. This is not a grand story of super cop vs. super villain like the Departed or the Town. This is about a bunch of hustlers just struggling to get by.

The characters are interesting and have some depth, and the writing is pretty good although the plot is a little tough to follow if you are not giving it your complete attention. The dialogue feels very real. A solid effort by Showtime.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am hooked after Episode 3. The characters feel so real, but still screwed up enough to make it interesting. Kevin Chapman (one of the more ubiquitous "that guy" character actors out there) plays a cop that is dumber than a box of rocks but is just street smart enough to cover his own butt and be credible.

Kevin Bacon's out-of-control cop character is one that you have seen before, but without the slightly unrealistic preachiness that you see in other cop shows. The character is not apologizing or showing his good side. He is completely selfish and transactional.

This is one of the better new shows on TV.

Reaction Score
I downloaded the first 4 episodes and watched on the plane to San Antonio today - really liked it. Bacon is really good. Jill Hennessy is also good. I'm into it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I've seen the 1st 3 episodes and it's pretty good. Didn't like Aldis Hodges' character to start with, but he's growing on me. Really like Amanda Clayton's character, Cathy Ryan - "bad guys" wife. She seems like one of the brighter ones in the show. Or at least of the "bad guys".

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There is virtually nothing new to say with a cop show. yet this show is somehow original. Between Bacon's scene with Winters and the daugther's drug use, Episode 6 was dark.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
First season was great and the show is already set for a well-deserved season 2. Kevin Bacon seems to be having a blast playing an over-the-top scumbag FBI agent, and he is really good at it.

It appears the show will need to bring in all new bad guys for next season. Honestly, the only complaint I had about season 1 was that Jonathan Tucker's character seemed overmatched the whole season, so there was no surprise that he walked right into a trap in Episode 9.

I warmed up to Hodges' character as the season wore on. He is not ready to take on Rohr now, but you get the sense that he may be eventually

Reaction Score
The backflip comment obviously a nod to footloose.

Bacon is awesome in this. Kyra using him right.

Reaction Score
Just discovered this. Only 4 episodes into season 1. How on earth are these people so bad at advertising ? Never saw a peep about this in 2019. Really solid cast, really solid Boston bona fides. Like a cross between Ray Donovan and The Wire, although not nearly that deep.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Just discovered this. Only 4 episodes into season 1. How on earth are these people so bad at advertising ? Never saw a peep about this in 2019. Really solid cast, really solid Boston bona fides. Like a cross between Ray Donovan and The Wire, although not nearly that deep.
1st Season was really good. I haven't started the 2nd season yet. Probably just wait til it's complete so I can binge it.

Reaction Score
whats it on?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I don't subscribe to premiums so won't be watching till it shows up on Prime or Netflix, but have seen the ads. I'm kinda surprised nobody's said a thing about Bacon's accent so far, because in the ads I've seen, it sounds awful.

Reaction Score
Bacon is a glorious , just a stupendous performance. We are 3-4 episodes behind in s2, kind of getting The Wire s4 from this 2nd season - I don't mind it!

Reaction Score
I don't subscribe to premiums so won't be watching till it shows up on Prime or Netflix, but have seen the ads. I'm kinda surprised nobody's said a thing about Bacon's accent so far, because in the ads I've seen, it sounds awful.
Eh, it's not terrible. But at least they try. Most of the characters are really good with the right accent. That's one of the the things I really like about the show. Same for Ray Donovan. There are some shows allegedly set in Boston where not a single person has the accent.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Two episodes in. Never heard of this show. Love it!!!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’m about 3 episodes in. It’s good. Paused though and will need to come back to it. Got bumped by stuff like Stranger Things.

Reaction Score
I thought this was long gone... Watched the premiere of s3 last night.. Bacon is crushing the Jackie Rohr role, but this 3rd season feels like they are just providing fan service for the character because the plots all seem contrived.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Jill Hennesy is great in this. As is Bacon. Great ensemble cast. Overall cast is great.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Finally got to watch S1 on Prime. Much as I'm still not crazy about Bacon's accent, he mostly does a solid job (I do think he hams it up occasionally). Cathy Moriarty is always solid when on screen. Hennessy's character development is solid. Tucker and Clayton are fantastic. Solid show, but will wait for the rest to show up on Prime.

Reaction Score
Finally got to watch S1 on Prime. Much as I'm still not crazy about Bacon's accent, he mostly does a solid job (I do think he hams it up occasionally). Cathy Moriarty is always solid when on screen. Hennessy's character development is solid. Tucker and Clayton are fantastic. Solid show, but will wait for the rest to show up on Prime.
I watched S1E1 last night and I like it. 20 seconds in I was concerned about the accents and I had to replay Bacon's quick summary of events a few times. Accents are great but I find 1. I know this famous actor doesn't speak like this so it's somewhat a distraction for me because I know he'll slip out of it at times (I know, doesn't make sense) and 2. makes it more difficult to understand. I keep thinking The Departed and Good Will Hunting and I wasn't surprised to see Affleck and Damon. F bombs galore.

Reaction Score
I remember Jonathan Tucker from The Black Donnellys but I didn't see too many episodes of the series. I guess it only lasted 1 season.

1660307887503.png

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Picked this up last night, watching episodes 3-4. This show is the most "Boston" show of all time. Despite Bacon having a mediocre accent, everybody else is legit. So many small references that ring true for locals.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom