90 Minute Thread: White Wine? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

90 Minute Thread: White Wine?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I had my first Vermentino tonight, absolutely fantastic. Light, crisp, not too sweet and very refreshing. Reminded me of a quality Riesling. Will definitely drink again.

Reaction Score
Don't do it. Red wine is it for me

tenor (4).gif

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Headed to the store at 6 to scoop some vino. Looking for a solid bottle of white wine under $30. Anyone got any suggestions? Preferably Sav B, Chard, or Pinot Grigio.
Little Sheep. $12.

Sorry so late.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I’m going to go outside the box here.

the best summer white are the Alsace wines.
A great Pinot Gris or Gewurztraminer chilled is delightfully refreshing.
Gewurz is a dessert wine. Still, very tasty.

Reaction Score
Not generally a Pinot Grigio guy but if you ever run across this bottle it's more expensive than most but worth a try.

Edit: Only 17.99 at Totalwine. Seen it for way more elsewhere.

1597333091202.png

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not generally a Pinot Grigio guy but if you ever run across this bottle it's more expensive than most but worth a try.

Edit: Only 17.99 at Totalwine. Seen it for way more elsewhere.

View attachment 57662
I don't know this one, but I am always on the lookout for good ones because it's my wife's favorite wine. I'm not wild about her go-tos so if we're sharing a bottle I like to make sure it's one I like. I see this one is from Friuli, which is always where the ones I like are from.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
At least it's not white zin. My brother has said one of his favorite accomplishments was getting Mom off the white zin and into Pinot Grigio.

Reaction Score
Me too. I was hoping for only a four-bottle minimum for the free shipping because it's not something I drink a ton of these days, but after I read that he got the fruit from Carneros and Rutherford I wasn't bummed at having to get six.

I'm surprised they haven't sold out of it yet.

I was going to post the Gruner Veltliner deal from Mt. Carmel last Friday but they sold out shortly after I bought my case:

2018 Ecker Gruner Veltliner "Von Mitterstockstal" Austria

A perfectly delicious example of Gruner Veltliner, and a terrific summer white. It's clean and dry but shows good earthiness and minerality, with perfect balance. If you've never tried Gruner Veltliner, this is the perfect opportunity to try a textbook example. If you're already acquainted you'll appreciate just how exceptional a value this is.

$8.99 (was $16.99) only 5 cases
The Newton unfiltered Chardonnay was delivered today. Drank one bottle, crisp, buttery with nice fruit blends. Person I drank it with had actually been to the Newton vineyard and had some awesome pictures on her phone. Thanks for the heads up on the deal.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Newton unfiltered Chardonnay was delivered today. Drank one bottle, crisp, buttery with nice fruit blends. Person I drank it with had actually been to the Newton vineyard and had some awesome pictures on her phone. Thanks for the heads up on the deal.
That was quick! Mine haven't arrived yet.

Glad to hear it tastes good out of the box. I don't know whether bottle shock is a real thing or not, but I usually let deliveries sit a day or two before I pop them.

Reaction Score
That was quick! Mine haven't arrived yet.

Glad to hear it tastes good out of the box. I don't know whether bottle shock is a real thing or not, but I usually let deliveries sit a day or two before I pop them.
I believe that pertains more to red wine than white. Just an opinion. They did ship it with an ice pack.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I believe that pertains more to red wine than white. Just an opinion. They did ship it with an ice pack.
I think you’re right, although the “unfiltered” aspect of this wine would have probably made me err on the side of letting it sit.

Reaction Score

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thx for the heads up...ordered 6 bottles...couldn't refuse the free shipping! How long does the shipping usually take? Nice option to have it shipped with an ice pack in the summer!
It is usually a couple days; with the holiday weekend I would expect middle to end of next week. Last Bottle is in Napa, CA but I believe they now have a NYC-area warehouse as well, so that can result in faster shipping sometimes.

Reaction Score
I'm all ears. Are you not a fan of Sancerre?
My friend's in-laws had bought a place there in the 1970s when it was relatively cheap and we stayed with them in the village back in 2014. Just freaking love Sancerre wine, but like so much about wine the experience is so important...and sitting in my friends' in-law's back yard overlooking the countryside while downing delicious wine is hard to beat.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My friend's in-laws had bought a place there in the 1970s when it was relatively cheap and we stayed with them in the village back in 2014. Just freaking love Sancerre wine, but like so much about wine the experience is so important...and sitting in my friends' in-law's back yard overlooking the countryside while downing delicious wine is hard to beat.
Agreed, but it's also nice when the wine can conjure that memory...and some oysters don't hurt, either!

Reaction Score
Agreed, but it's also nice when the wine can conjure that memory...and some oysters don't hurt, either!
I love love love beer, but beer doesn't evoke a memory--the place, the moment, the people--in the same way that wine does. It's really a much more potent madeleine than a madeleine.

But, yes, the food pairings are another plus.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I know this is a white wine thread but just heard from my daughter, who's working at Brasswoods in Napa - that Heidi Peterson Barrett was at the winery and she told them that there may be no red wines coming out of Napa this year due to the smoke taint. If you don't recognize her name, look her up. She advises a LOT of Napa/Sonoma wineries. She also learned to fly her own bright blue helicopter around the valleys. Also her husband Bo Barrett, of Chateau Montelana was played by Chris Pine in Bottle Shock!

Apparently the smoke came early this year before the harvest. Personally I'm going to pick up a few more 2016s while they are still around.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I know this is a white wine thread but just heard from my daughter, who's working at Brasswoods in Napa - that Heidi Peterson Barrett was at the winery and she told them that there may be no red wines coming out of Napa this year due to the smoke taint. If you don't recognize her name, look her up. She advises a LOT of Napa/Sonoma wineries. She also learned to fly her own bright blue helicopter around the valleys. Also her husband Bo Barrett, of Chateau Montelana was played by Chris Pine in Bottle Shock!

Apparently the smoke came early this year before the harvest. Personally I'm going to pick up a few more 2016s while they are still around.
@Brettloaf

Reaction Score

You are still seeing '16 Napa cabs on shelves??

Where? Please tell.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom