8-19 from the free throw line | The Boneyard

8-19 from the free throw line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Karma from shooting lights out last year? In any event, you aren't winning many close games shooting like that.
Between the free throws and the ton of absurdly unforced turnovers it's impressive that we were in the game against a decent team. We're just really, really young out there without Boat.

I definitely believe we can do damage in March, but damn, we really need some wins to make sure we get there.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I definitely believe we can do damage in March, but damn, we really need some wins to make sure we get there.

Its beginning to seem like we will need to win the AAC tournament in Hartford to get the bid.

Reaction Score
Its beginning to seem like we will need to win the AAC tournament in Hartford to get the bid.
I don't think we're close to that point personally. There are a lot of regular season games left, and the bubble is just terrible every year now.

Reaction Score
I don't think we're close to that point personally.
I think we're closer than some on here think. We're not going to have a fantastic record overall. Maybe most importantly, we're not going to have any huge wins. We're an inconsistent team, so we'll almost definitely drop some more games in conference.

Not a great record overall + not a great conference record + a few bad losses (Yale) + no signature wins = high probability of trouble on selection Sunday

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't think we're close to that point personally. There are a lot of regular season games left, and the bubble is just terrible every year now.

It's getting pretty close of the season ended today, but we still have some time.

The one undeniable fact is that we've pretty much guaranteed we won't get better than a 9 seed.

Reaction Score
If you can't beat Temple or Yale at home?

Reaction Score
Karma from shooting lights out last year? In any event, you aren't winning many close games shooting like that.
Seems like the discipline and good coaching went with it. From a fundamentals standpoint, this doesn't look like a KO coached team lately.

Reaction Score
The previous two games we were 27 for 30, 90%. I thought we were getting to be a VG free throw shooting team. Hopefully we get back on track starting Sat.

Reaction Score
I think we're closer than some on here think.
Yeah, I guess it's easy to think that when you've already decided how the rest of the regular season will play out.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
There is no excuse for guards and wing men to be bricking free throws. This is a basic. Every miss free throw at this level is equivalent of a turnover. So, add 13 turnovers to the stat line. Or take away the 12 rebounds away from Facey. Ollie should start benching kids when they miss free throws. I used to play a lot of basketball at the Y and teams were made by hitting free throws. If you didn't hit a free throw, that put you on the fourth squad which meant you played very little that day. You be surprised how not playing improves your free throw shooting.
Ollie needs to break down each of the kids throws mechanics and get them on track. If you UConn made all of its free throws in the last two minutes of games, the Huskies would be tournament bound.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I guess it's easy to think that when you've already decided how the rest of the regular season will play out.
Let's be realistic - what big wins do you see for us on the horizon? How many more conference losses do you predict?

I haven't decided anything, it's just tough to look at what's happened so far - including home losses to Yale and Temple and a lack of a signature win - and feel entirely secure in the idea that we'll make the tournament. I think we're a talented team with a much higher ceiling than we've reached so far, but I think we're still going to have some growing pains going forward and that means more losses. I'd love nothing more than for us to run the table, but a little realism is needed sometimes.

Reaction Score
Let's be realistic - what big wins do you see for us on the horizon? How many more conference losses do you predict?

I haven't decided anything, it's just tough to look at what's happened so far - including home losses to Yale and Temple and a lack of a signature win - and feel entirely secure in the idea that we'll make the tournament. I think we're a talented team with a much higher ceiling than we've reached so far, but I think we're still going to have some growing pains going forward and that means more losses. I'd love nothing more than for us to run the table, but a little realism is needed sometimes.

I don't think it's even debatable-----we'd have to win the AAC Tournament. No crystal ball but the way we are banged up and the fact that nobody has this conference's back an at-large bid seems very, very remote.

Reaction Score
Boat is usually the one making free throws (except 2 big ones) so number looks worse. However...Hamilton and Purvis looked as though they knew they were going to miss....those 4 misses were killer.

Reaction Score

It's hard to know what games will be big wins, because it's dependent on how other teams perform. At Stanford can be a big win if they continue to perform well. At Temple, at SMU, at Cincinnati can also be big wins if those teams play well. Dayton will be a big win if they don't collapse now that they have lost players. Home against SMU and Cincinnati are opportunities.

Yale is in the top 60 of the RPI, and Temple was in the top 40 coming into today. They don't suck, and aren't even bad losses. They're just huge blown opportunities for good wins because we did about 100 things poorly in each game, mostly self inflicted stuff, and still barely lost.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Didn't realise it was that bad. Oof

Overall number bad, Hamilton missing 3 of 3 where two would get OT and 3 would win....catastrophic.

Reaction Score
It's hard to know what games will be big wins, because it's dependent on how other teams perform. At Stanford can be a big win if they continue to perform well. At Temple, at SMU, at Cincinnati can also be big wins if those teams play well. Dayton will be a big win if they don't collapse now that they have lost players. Home against SMU and Cincinnati are opportunities.

Yale is in the top 60 of the RPI, and Temple was in the top 40 coming into today. They don't suck, and aren't even bad losses. They're just huge blown opportunities for good wins because we did about 100 things poorly in each game, mostly self inflicted stuff, and still barely lost.

Temple and Yale are terrible loses because they are at home.

Reaction Score
Temple and Yale are terrible loses because they are at home.
Well they may end up being terrible losses if those two teams go into the tank, but no loss to a top 60 team in the RPI is terrible, no matter where the game is played.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

beginning too seem?
I am not a glass half empty guy BUT the only way I see any dancing in March for this team is if the team wears the AAC tournament champs hats and shirts that Sunday.
Free throws, lack of 3 pt defense, poor shooting, missed lay-ups, lack of reliable hands of the bigs and a Ferrari that runs only when it feels like is hurting the team and keeping KO's mind spinning.
D Ham's misses at the end is not why the team lost- it was an accumulation of events and lack of killer attitude

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom