60 years of nba team averages: not much has changed. | The Boneyard

60 years of nba team averages: not much has changed.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
NBA League Averages - Per Game | Basketball-Reference.com
looking at all categories of stats from a bell curve perspective, the sixty year average 6'6'' player, tho now about 10 pounds heavier, grouped as a team, performs remarkably similar over time, except for ft's made, ft's attempted, and offensive rebounds.
those are way down. defensive boards are up a bit lately, but that's obviously cuz everrone is jacking 3s, even tho the end result of total points (up to around 108 for the past few seasons) pales in comparison to the 1959-1972 run of aboot 114 per team/game, when there wasn't a 3 point shot. wait, whut?
mebbe those observers who say that current nba regular season games lack edge, and are mostly boring, are correct. if you find a recent category that looks 'better' than a period before it, look harder, and u'll prolly find another time way back that blows away any recency bias that u may have.
i say that it should be called the 'stop touching me' league, cuz the stats say that they don't foul and refuse to attack the o glass. mebbe they don't want to break a fingernail. unfortunately, if you watch most games, other than the beginning of the regular season ('got to make a name for myself!'), or at the end ('got to make the playoffs!'), and for a good while now, it's mostly just guys wandering around for three quarters. no edge. boring.
'bbut they're so much taller!" no.
'bbut they're so much faster!' no.
'bbut they score so much more!' no.
'bbut they pass so much better!' no.
'bbut they shoot so much better!' no.
'bbut they play defense so much better!' no.
half a century of stats don't lie.

one more: they've all been around 26 1/2 years old, on average, from day one.
'bbut they're all so much younger!' no.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34
Top Bottom