#5 South Carolina @ #3 Texas A&M - 2/28/21 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

#5 South Carolina @ #3 Texas A&M - 2/28/21

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Boston needs to have a Dolson-esque physical transformation. The pace of this game is absolutely killing her.
Sort of reminds me of Courtney Paris, who was killing it as a Freshman at Oklahoma until teams started to run the ball against them. Poor Courtney couldn't keep up and her production dropped way down her last few years in college. Perhaps Boston body is undergoing a metabolic change. That often happens to women at this age. They naturally gain weight and it affects their game.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Sort of reminds me of Courtney Paris, who was killing it as a Freshman at Oklahoma until teams started to run the ball against them. Poor Courtney couldn't keep up and her production dropped way down her last few years in college. Perhaps Boston body is undergoing a metabolic change. That often happens to women at this age. They naturally gain weight and it affects their game.

As a woman who was once that age... I know.

Boston is a really good player as she is, but if she is going to want to grow her game and be a great player, she’s going to have to pay more attention to her conditioning. Unlike Paris, I don’t think she college game will escape her, but she definitely could be more dominate if she spent the summer really fine-tuning her body.

Reaction Score
I’d say the top four teams are UConn, Nc State, A&M, and SC/Baylor. Stanford is too soft for me. Louisville only has one player and that’s Dana Evans.

Reaction Score
As far as Boston goes, I think she’s fine. They just don’t have offense to get her the ball. Had she been at UConn she’d get the ball a lot more.
The true issue for SC is that their only true great player is Boston, and as a center, she needs other players to get her the ball. SC guards have struggled with shot selection all year and, while not incompetent, aren’t deadeyes. Beal does many little things but has yet to emerge as a consistent scorer, and Saxton isn’t as dynamic offensively as MHH was.

Taken together, that leaves SC on the outs against the more complete rosters of A&M, NCST, UConn. It’s not so much that this team is underperforming as it is they just aren’t a top-three squad this year.

Reaction Score
As far as Boston goes, I think she’s fine. They just don’t have offense to get her the ball. Had she been at UConn she’d get the ball a lot more.
She’s my favorite player in the country and you’d be hard-pressed to find five others who are better, but I do see where some of the posters here are coming from. Her FG% is <50.0, her blocking numbers have fallen the last few weeks, and her rebounding—while consistent at 10-11 per game—sometimes need to be closer to 15-16 for SC to win.

Reaction Score
The true issue for SC is that their only true great player is Boston, and as a center, she needs other players to get her the ball. SC guards have struggled with shot selection all year and, while not incompetent, aren’t deadeyes. Beal does many little things but has yet to emerge as a consistent scorer, and Saxton isn’t as dynamic offensively as MHH was.

Taken together, that leaves SC on the outs against the more complete rosters of A&M, NCST, UConn. It’s not so much that this team is underperforming as it is they just aren’t a top-three squad this year.
Couldn’t have said it better. Totally agree. It was kinda the same way Aja Wilson’s senior year, but Aja was so dominant she could always find ways to score.

Reaction Score
Couldn’t have said it better. Totally agree. It was kinda the same way Aja Wilson’s senior year, but Aja was so dominant she could always find ways to score.
Aliyah is a better rebounder than A’ja and at times a better shot-blocker, but the mobile and dominant forward she is not (yet). If she gets there, SC may be near-impossible to beat. In the interim, this is a team that will be exploited in the halfcourt.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Aliyah is a better rebounder than A’ja and at times a better shot-blocker, but the mobile and dominant forward she is not (yet). If she gets there, SC may be near-impossible to beat. In the interim, this is a team that will be exploited in the halfcourt.
I know the ultimate goal is for SC to look more like last season and less like this season... but in order for that to happen you need guards that are respected as shooters. Boston is also a better passer/facilitator than Wilson, but she can’t facilitate if she’s being triple teamed constantly whenever she’s on the block. As good as Boston is, we’re really not going to see how great she can be at the college level unless Cooke learns better shot selection, Amihere spreads her game out and Henderson continues her upward trajectory as an offensive and playmaking threat. Those 3 things seem key to me.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Very Entertaining Game Indeed (competition in the SEC is FAR BETTER than the Big East - Sorry UCONN Fans)
stroke beard pondering GIF by Captain Obvious

Reaction Score
The talent around Paris got better, Danielle Robinson went on to be an All American, Whitney Hand gave them outside shooting the team needed her final 2 years so of course her numbers would do down some, but still 19PPG, 14RPG, 3BPG, isn’t really that bad.
Boston is a really good player as she is, but if she is going to want to grow her game and be a great player, she’s going to have to pay more attention to her conditioning. Unlike Paris, I don’t think she college game will escape her, but she definitely could be more dominate if she spent the summer really fine-tuning her body.
Paris was a 4 time All American, 3 time Big12 POY, 2 time Big12 DPOY and she won the AP POY her sophomore year, that was all while being in college with players like Candace Parker, Candice Wiggins, and Maya Moore. Yes Paris had a lackluster WNBA career, but she’s definitely 1 of the best College centers to ever play the game, and IMO had a better career than Sylvia Fowles.

Reaction Score
I'm more confident in A&M as overall number 1 than any other team. They look complete to me, with an inside and outside game and they play solid physical defense. I feel you need to be able to be multidimensional and beat teams in multiple ways during the tournament. A&M can do that. I think NC State can as well, but I'm not ready to call them my overall 2. Stanford looks complete as well. Everybody else in the top 10 is lacking something in some way IMO. I think UConn is a good team but that engine is way too reliant on one player, which is unusual for a UConn team.

My top four seeds
1. A&M
2. Stanford
3. NC State
4. UConn
Bueckers puts them over the top but UConn has 4 starters averaging double figures and the 5th starter is at 9.8.

I wouldn't make UConn the favorite for the same reason I didn't like S Car last year, way too reliant on freshmen. Not so much Bueckers who has consistently thrived in pressure situations, even going back to her USA games. It's that they start 2 freshmen and a third is the first player off the bench. They could surprise but history says otherwise.

Reaction Score
The talent around Paris got better, Danielle Robinson went on to be an All American, Whitney Hand gave them outside shooting the team needed her final 2 years so of course her numbers would do down some, but still 19PPG, 14RPG, 3BPG, isn’t really that bad.

Paris was a 4 time All American, 3 time Big12 POY, 2 time Big12 DPOY and she won the AP POY her sophomore year, that was all while being in college with players like Candace Parker, Candice Wiggins, and Maya Moore. Yes Paris had a lackluster WNBA career, but she’s definitely 1 of the best College centers to ever play the game, and IMO had a better career than Sylvia Fowles.
I never said that she became a bad player, she was still a very good center. However, she was not as effective as her Freshman year. After her freshman year they expected Oklahoma to dominate college basketball. But teams learned that if they sped up the game the coach would be forced to put her on the bench. Her playing time decreased and as such so did her impact on the game. In the half court she was unstoppable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know the ultimate goal is for SC to look more like last season and less like this season... but in order for that to happen you need guards that are respected as shooters. Boston is also a better passer/facilitator than Wilson, but she can’t facilitate if she’s being triple teamed constantly whenever she’s on the block. As good as Boston is, we’re really not going to see how great she can be at the college level unless Cooke learns better shot selection, Amihere spreads her game out and Henderson continues her upward trajectory as an offensive and playmaking threat. Those 3 things seem key to me.
Cooke’s shot selection is a MAJOR issue for SC. Dawn once talked about wanting Zia to be the best 2-player in the country—she’s a long ways from it. Certainly not the best in her own conference (Arkansas and A&M guards say hello). She cannot launch 17, 19, 22 shots on >40% efficiency. SC is not productive enough in the halfcourt to make it work.

Reaction Score
Our issues is the #4 Spot-No Production (Saxtons PPG has gone down over the last 2.5 weeks) and so have her minutes.. I felt at the beginning of the year that that position needed to be able to effectively score in the midr-ange game (12-15 feet) Amihere is just not there yet also.

Also , we are missing finishers this year on the fast break and transition opportunities. Essentially-when the PG passes the ball up ahead to a wing-(other than Cooke) not many can consistently drive the ball to the basket. Russell, Grisett and Beal have that ability but they are not making a strong move to attack the basket.

Maybe since they could not work on their game during the Covid Summer of 2020 is the reason why there individual skill levels have regressed. Saxton/Amihere should be able to hit the mid corner & shot at the top of the key (they can not) . Cooke is not the same player year 2 as year 1 in terms of her not being able to score from the 3pt line or in transition.

Reaction Score
I never said that she became a bad player, she was still a very good center. However, she was not as effective as her Freshman year. After her freshman year they expected Oklahoma to dominate college basketball. But teams learned that if they spead up the game the coach would be forced to put her on the bench. Her playing time decreased and as such so did her impact on the game. In the half court she was unstoppable.
Paris was a terrific college basketball player, who carved out a 10 yr. WNBA career. However, a four time college AA, who only averaged 4 pts (and never averaged double digits) over that 10 years is telling. Conditioning and being "in shape" was always a concern for her, and it limited her professional success,

Reaction Score
Interestingly enough, her twin Ashley, svelted down so much that she was unrecognizable as her former self. While she was never as good as her sister, her loss of weight became a trade off. The sisters used their size to create space in the paint. When Ashley lost the weight it negated her inside game. Perhaps that might have also happened to Courtney. I would suppose that there is an ideal balance between size and quickness, but that has to be discovered. But then it also depends on how much you BB skills match up with either.

Reaction Score
IMO, South Carolina does not deserve a #1 Seed even if they go on and win the SECT. Every top opponent they've played this season were their worst showing as a team. They are reminding me of the 2013-14 team, which earned the first #1 Seeding in program history, but was 29-5 with all 5 losses to their 5 toughest opponents. This team has that same lack of leadership in the toughest situations - the same lack of confidence and understanding of what to do in those critical games. This is more of a learning season for the future, if that even happens.....

Anyhow, that 2013-14 team lost in the Sweet-Sixteen to UNC. They just weren't ready to take that position. I don't think this team is either...

I have a hard time sorting out who exactly should be favorites and #1 seeds in this tournament. I don't see a favorite at all.

I think South Carolina has too many losses to sit on the 1 line. I would guess that South Carolina has lost to 3 teams that will be on the 1 or 2 line, so the 2 line looks about right.

I was never sold on this team even when UCONN fans were saying that it was the obvious preseason #1. Herbert-Harrigan was a huge loss and Ty Harris has not been completely replaced and the team really doesn't have much depth at all.

A worthy goal for this team is to avoid upset in the tournament and then have one of these close losses to good teams go its way in the regional final. Then see what happens.

I don't think the offense is good enough to win three of those games, so I think Final Four would be the highest level of expectation from me. Making the regional final would be a good year.

Sweet 16 would adequate. I do think they are vulnerable early like those Gamecock teams that went out early vs UNC and Syracuse. It's a very similar dynamic. Not enough offensive spacing, but we have less interior scoring.

Reaction Score
I'm more confident in A&M as overall number 1 than any other team. They look complete to me, with an inside and outside game and they play solid physical defense. I feel you need to be able to be multidimensional and beat teams in multiple ways during the tournament. A&M can do that. I think NC State can as well, but I'm not ready to call them my overall 2. Stanford looks complete as well. Everybody else in the top 10 is lacking something in some way IMO. I think UConn is a good team but that engine is way too reliant on one player, which is unusual for a UConn team.

My top four seeds
1. A&M
2. Stanford
3. NC State
4. UConn

I have a little hesitation with Texas A&M in that most games have been contests for them. That just seems to be the way most teams are this year though.

I feel like every single team in the country struggles a lot.

Reaction Score

I feel the offense is breaking down. There was a spell when they were running good stuff to get Boston looks and that seems to have gone away. Now Cooke is heaving up bad shots and you have reluctant scorers all over the place.

If they can go back to the drawing board and reboot everything they got a good chance.

But the version of the last couple of weeks is going to flame out early.

The recruiting class can't get here quick enough, IMO. Not sure how much they can solve, but the depth if nothing else is going to be key.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I feel the offense is breaking down. There was a spell when they were running good stuff to get Boston looks and that seems to have gone away. Now Cooke is heaving up bad shots and you have reluctant scorers all over the place.

If they can go back to the drawing board and reboot everything they got a good chance.

But the version of the last couple of weeks is going to flame out early.

The recruiting class can't get here quick enough, IMO. Not sure how much they can solve, but the depth if nothing else is going to be key.
Agreed. Not only will they provide depth, but I think they’ll force some others to put in work.. there’s a few people counting on just being good IMO. Nothing like a #1 recruiting class to come in and apply some pressure. Either get better or ride the pine because ‘21 is coming to take your place.

I’m not altogether surprised with how this year has gone when you sit down and really consider that we’re relying on sophomores to be our biggest contributors. The 2nd year slump is a real thing. It can’t become a 3rd year step back though.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Paris was a terrific college basketball player, who carved out a 10 yr. WNBA career. However, a four time college AA, who only averaged 4 pts (and never averaged double digits) over that 10 years is telling. Conditioning and being "in shape" was always a concern for her, and it limited her professional success,

Paris's size helped her collegiately since she took up so much space inside and other players couldn't move her or get her out of the lane. Against quality offensive posts though she usually struggled and the opposition would often a field day against her inside.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Not only will they provide depth, but I think they’ll force some others to put in work.. there’s a few people counting on just being good IMO. Nothing like a #1 recruiting class to come in and apply some pressure. Either get better or ride the pine because ‘21 is coming to take your place.

I’m not altogether surprised with how this year has gone when you sit down and really consider that we’re relying on sophomores to be our biggest contributors. The 2nd year slump is a real thing. It can’t become a 3rd year step back though.
We need to get two reliable shooters out of the 21 class. Gals who can make layups reliably and hit the mid range jumper. Not worried about big 3 pt shooters; just gals we can rely on to hit the open shot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom