5 OUT MOTION OFFENSE- THE COMPLETE COACHING GUIDE | The Boneyard

5 OUT MOTION OFFENSE- THE COMPLETE COACHING GUIDE

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think it's here instead, and it is pretty good.
5-Out Motion Offense - Complete Coaching Guide

but thinking that with Z in they're running this:
4-Out 1-In Motion Offense - Complete Coaching Guide

and can be supplemented by things like this:
Teaching the Read and React Offense: The Basketballogy Method (part 5 of 5)
The fact is with Gabby on the floor UConn plays as much Hi/Lo offense as 5 out. UConn also runs as much off the pinch and skinny post as 4 and 1. Geno's is a complex offense that requires a smart crew, and isn't easy to either teach or learn.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I think it's here instead, and it is pretty good.
5-Out Motion Offense - Complete Coaching Guide

but thinking that with Z in they're running this:
4-Out 1-In Motion Offense - Complete Coaching Guide

and can be supplemented by things like this:
Teaching the Read and React Offense: The Basketballogy Method (part 5 of 5)
Bags you coached a bit, didn't you? It's always been my contention that teaching offense, especially one as complex Geno's, is far more difficult and time intensive than teaching defense, which is much more about desire and effort. What do you think?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't think we run the 5-0. Mostly the 4-1 and sometime 3-2. But with in those we can use the Hi-Lo.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Thanks, same article , but my computer skills are not very good. I found it insightful.
You can usually count on a BY poster to help you out of any any skills dilemma. Some of these posters are whizzes! :)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Bags you coached a bit, didn't you? It's always been my contention that teaching offense, especially one as complex Geno's, is far more difficult and time intensive than teaching defense, which is much more about desire and effort. What do you think?
I'll be interested to read his response - but I am almost certain "it depends". Aspects of defense are certainly about desire and effort - but I was around Rutgers, a defensive team, for years - and purportedly, teaching the proper execution of the "55" as well as her famous (at the time) match-up zone sounded pretty complex.

One year, many years ago, at the urging of someone (I don't know who) Vivian focused more on offense than defense at the start of the season. Fans were impressed by the first couple of victories, but when RU lost a game 87 - 82 (approximately) that was the end of that. The next 2 weeks were spent on nothing but defense, RU never scored more than 60 in another game, but never gave up more than 60ish the rest of the season either.

Reaction Score
I don't claim expertise at all, and right, I think it depends. Jordy is (appropriately) framing this more narrowly into the UConn model, which is very largely man-to-man defense, and very largely read-and-react motion. It does seem to me that if it's stated so starkly, offense is going to be way more complex, by definition: you're the aggressor and have to make the move, while the defense responds to what the aggressor does and in the offense UConn plays it's all about extremely rapid ball movement and largely the 2 or 3 man game. Not that there aren't huge complexities of technique in man-to-man defense; and in the practice I watched (FWIW: it was one practice late in the season), Geno spent far more time coaching defense than offense.

Reaction Score
In my experience with youth teams, defense was much harder to coach for one simple reason; no one wanted to practice defense. Instilling a motivation to learn intricate help line and press doubling principles is the mark of a great coach, IMHO.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I don't claim expertise at all, and right, I think it depends. Jordy is (appropriately) framing this more narrowly into the UConn model, which is very largely man-to-man defense, and very largely read-and-react motion. It does seem to me that if it's stated so starkly, offense is going to be way more complex, by definition: you're the aggressor and have to make the move, while the defense responds to what the aggressor does and in the offense UConn plays it's all about extremely rapid ball movement and largely the 2 or 3 man game. Not that there aren't huge complexities of technique in man-to-man defense; and in the practice I watched (FWIW: it was one practice late in the season), Geno spent far more time coaching defense than offense.
In my experience with youth teams, defense was much harder to coach for one simple reason; no one wanted to practice defense. Instilling a motivation to learn intricate help line and press doubling principles is the mark of a great coach, IMHO.
Yes. Effort and desire. Players want to be on offense. Kara Lawson during one her many digressions last week spoke about how some coaches would try to convince her that at some point she would love playing defense, and her response was incredulous. She said she knew it was necessary and important, but a necessary and important evil that was just an impediment keeping her from the offensive end. Perhaps I'm wrong in some respects. Complexity doesn't necessarily mean difficulty if the client is willing, and simplicity doesn't mean easy if the client is unwilling.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom