#5 Oregon St vs #1 Stanford - 3/05/21 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

#5 Oregon St vs #1 Stanford - 3/05/21

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
On offense has been a struggle, but Jones has 13 rebounds and stats are showing 3 blocks but she had that in the first half, she has to have at least 5 blocks now. Anyway she's competed hard.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Stanford can't miss now. 6-8 3's and 7-11 overall in Q4.

Reaction Score
Stanford is going to be a really tough out. Jones-Williams-Hull a combined 6-31 and they are still up double digits.
Right? Shocking that Stanford can shoot this badly, and still be up big on Oregon State. I didn't expect this at all.
People (myself included) seem to think of Stanford as a good shooting team, but they really haven’t shot the bell well at all that I can remember. They do so many other things well that it doesn’t matter. They’re a more mature and fundamentally-sound version of South Carolina—do y’all agree?

Thin at the post, but otherwise, they’re going to be a tough out for sure. Could see them winning a title.

Reaction Score
Did Haley Jones get benched for the last 15 minutes - or is she just sort of invisible?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
People (myself included) seem to think of Stanford as a good shooting team, but they really haven’t shot the bell well at all that I can remember.
I think they led the Pac 12 in made 3's, although not the highest percentage. I'm kinda the opposite, I didn't think they were a great shooting team but they are dangerous from behind the arc.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Stanford's best kept secret. There's actually five on a court at once.
I've heard Tara is mad at their parents for not having more of them.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
79-45 final. I kept waiting for the dam to break, when it did it REALLY did. Went from a 12-13 point margin to a landslide in a hurry.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
24 for Brink, 20 for Williams, 12 for Lexie, 10 for Jump.

Goodman the only Beav in double figures w/ 12.

Reaction Score
I think they led the Pac 12 in made 3's, although not the highest percentage. I'm kinda the opposite, I didn't think they were a great shooting team but they are dangerous from behind the arc.

I think the key here for this game was that Stanford only turned the ball over five times. That's huge for a team that's shown a tendency to turn over the ball from time to time in bunches. Stanford is certainly capable of getting hot from behind the arc, which adds a dangerous dimension to their game -- if Jump, Williams, Brink, or the Hulls get going, they're tough to beat.

Reaction Score
It is really odd to remember that Haley Jones was considered a NPOY frontrunner early in the season.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I think the key here for this game was that Stanford only turned the ball over five times.
OSU just does not force TOs. On their message board they joke around about Rueck getting mad if his players get steals.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It is really odd to remember that Haley Jones was considered a NPOY frontrunner early in the season.
She was playing like it early on, but really faded. Williams has come on strong after a slow start, Brink has established herself, and Stanford has a bunch of other players who are capable of stepping up. I'd like to see more consistency from Jones, but they certainly don't need her to be an 18-20 ppg type of scorer.

Reaction Score
Jones is ALWAYS short on her jumper! I swear, the last 4-5x I've watched her it's same issue!

Reaction Score
This is the best Stanford WBB Team in years. Very impressed. While the OSU Team had some really great moments defensively, Stanford is just superior. I was very impressed with OSU's defense in the half court. Unfortunately, there were too many easy buckets by Stanford running out on turnovers, missed OSU clanks, and, even after made OSU buckets (not too many of those).

This was the best game I've seen from Taya Corosdale ever defensively. Not only did she shut down Haley Jones, her help defense was outstanding. BTW, who has ever shut down Haley Jones? This was the 4th "playoff-like" game for OSU in 6 days, and, they clearly were gassed. But even with fresh legs, Stanford would have beat OSU by double digits. Stanford is fantastic.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Herself? Looking at game logs she had 6 games previously w/ single digit scoring including a low of 5 against Colorado in the 2nd meeting.
At the beginning of the season, I believed that Jones would be a difference maker for Stanford and even that she would be the Pac 12 player of the year. She did start out well, but seems to have regressed as the season has progressed: her shooting seems off and she makes a boatload of turnovers. To me, the keys to this year's Stanford team being Tara's best in a while are Brink and, to a lesser extent, Wilson. I think the sky is the limit for Cameron, and her impact on the court, especially since she's cut down her fouls, has been amazing both offensively and defensively. (I would have chosen her as freshman of the year.) She's quick, deceptively strong, is very very skilled, and her upside is enormous. (I think she's already where Geno would like Olivia to be, or the yet-to-be seen version of Sedona Prince that Graves talked about before the season began.) And Wilson's defense and reliable 3-point shooting have been very important as well, with the latter especially welcome since, at times, Stanford, still can have trouble scoring.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
o me, the keys to this year's Stanford team being Tara's best in a while are Brink and, to a lesser extent, Wilson. I think the sky is the limit for Cameron, and her impact on the court, especially since she's cut down her fouls, has been amazing both offensively and defensively. (I would have chosen her as freshman of the year.)
I totally agree. I think we've only seen the tip of the ice berg so far, her potential is scary good. I can certainly support Leger-Walker being chosen as FOY, but it's blatantly obvious that Brink is the best Fr. talent in the conference. She effects the game so much on defense w/ her length. I don't know if she came in playing that way or if the Hulls rubbed off on her, but she has a relentless motor and is a scrapper. I'm pretty sure I've never seen a 6-4 player dive after loose balls the way she does.

Reaction Score
Stanford goes how Kianna Williams goes. Kianna Williams is one of the best guards in the nation, and, somehow gets overlooked as the engine of Stanford. Having watched this kid (in person) and so many times on TV, she is remarkable, and, in an instant, take a close game to a blowout with her play.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
TvO is like Caitlin Clark, she'll pull the trigger from just about anywhere past half court.
Whoa there my fine west coast colleague-you WISH TvO was like Caitlin. I am not sure I would even call her Caitlin-lite...TvO is good but not that good and certainly not the facility and rebounder that CC is. But yeah, other than that, she is like Caitlin.... :confused:

Who is the big her hurt her leg last year-Kennedy Brown? any news on her return?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Whoa there my fine west coast colleague-you WISH TvO was like Caitlin. I am not sure I would even call her Caitlin-lite...TvO is good but not that good and certainly not the facility and rebounder that CC is. But yeah, other than that, she is like Caitlin.... :confused:

Who is the big her hurt her leg last year-Kennedy Brown? any news on her return?
I was merely comparing their willingness to take 3s from WAY behind the line. Otherwise there is no comparison, give me a little credit. :rolleyes:

I don't have any specific info about Brown but I'd assume she'll be good to go by next fall.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Stanford goes how Kianna Williams goes. Kianna Williams is one of the best guards in the nation, and, somehow gets overlooked as the engine of Stanford. Having watched this kid (in person) and so many times on TV, she is remarkable, and, in an instant, take a close game to a blowout with her play.
Completely agree. I thought exactly the same last year about Kiana when I watched her in person at the Pac-12 tournament -- she is Stanford's engine, without doubt, and doesn't get as talked about, both within the conference and nationally, as she should. Reminds me in some ways of a Renee Montgomery, fantastic control of pacing, knows when to speed up or slow down, has a settling effect on her teammates ... basically all that you want in a great PG.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom