OT: - 40 years ago today | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: 40 years ago today

Curiouser
Reaction Score
But Paul has a charm and can do what so few other artists—regardless of medium—can do, which is invoke uncomplicated joy in a seemingly simple—but deceptively complex—way.

No art is easy, but art of pain and sadness is easier to create, fundamentally, than an art that is purely joyful.

That is an interesting thought that I never contemplated before.

I am inclined to agree with you, but I will definitely ponder it.

There's very little enduring literature out there that is purely happy.

Perhaps it's because Tolstoy (as usual) was correct: All happy families are the same, each unhappy family is unhappy in their own way. And we as people like a little bit of difference and adventure in our art.

Paul somehow creates difference and happiness.

It's that yin and yang with him and John—with the talent of Harrison and the production of Martin—it's nearly impossible to replicate. How many bands have two talented songwriters, let alone three? How many bands that have just two talented songwriters have two talented songwriters who write in such different modes? And no one who has listened too long would mistake a Harrison song for a McCartney or a Lennon song.
I thought some more about this notion and it dawned on me while listening a James Taylor song that he (JT) is the rare artist who can do both.

And then it also dawned on me that he was the first artist signed by Apple Records.

Reaction Score
So because of this thread, I’ve been doing some listening while working today with this subject in mind. An interesting thing I stumbled upon is, on Beatles for sale, the usual Paul/John theme is flipped in two songs.

“Every Little Thing” is a John song about a happy relationship (while maybe a slightly problematic/misogynistic one in 2020 lol)

“What You’re Doing” is a Paul song about a sour relationship in which the girl is lying and leaving him feeling blue and lonely

Side note: I Don’t Want to Spoil the Party is still one of my favorite Beatles song

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Somehow missed this thread till now. Soon as I heard the news from Cosell, I went to my bedroom, turned on WNEW-FM and listened to Vin Scelsa the rest of the night. Vin was just like the rest of us, on a rollercoaster of emotions, but he was the right guy at the right time to get many of us through that horrific evening.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I thought some more about this notion and it dawned on me while listening a James Taylor song that he (JT) is the rare artist who can do both.

And then it also dawned on me that he was the first artist signed by Apple Records.

First non British artist signed. Badfinger was first. To this day I think many people probably believe Day after Day is by the Beatles.
Some cool stuff here from Paul saying he overproduced JT's first record.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I believe that Taylor was the first non-British act signed by Apple, but did have the first single released by the company. The Iveys (who changed their name to Badfinger) were apparently the first act actually signed.

I do wish Julian recorded more often. Of all The Beatles' offspring, he's the one that most resembled his dad, and also the one who was most personally and financially screwed (although he did finally get a decent settlement from the estate after years of fighting).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom