Live at Filmore East and Who's Next should have been rated higher IMHO
But everyone has different tastes

Reaction Score
Was 1982 really that bad?
Seemed like it was based on mainstream FM radio play
'71 list vs '82 is like HOF vs JV team
Live at Filmore East and Who's Next should have been rated higher IMHO
But everyone has different tastes

Fillmore East excellent their 2nd best next to Eat A Peach...

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Fillmore East excellent their 2nd best next to Eat A Peach...
It's like splitting hairs here. My order is reversed. Filmore a bit more raw than Peach.

Well worth checking out.
On their 2003 tour they were recording and selling cds of each show/stop on that tour. These were not released as albums for the music chart ratings.
I am impartial to this since I was at this show. The sound is impeccable, can be streamed or downloaded on youtube music or Apple music. Must have seen them 20 times.

Reaction Score
Primus' Sailing the Seas of Cheese is criminally underrated.
Whenever "Jerry Was a Racecar Driver" plays in the car, I lose my gourd after "...GO!"

Loveless is a pretty cool album in terms of how it sounds when it came out. I'm not going to pretend I'm a My Bloody Valentine fan, but that album is certainly inspirational to a lot of indie music over the last 30 years. I'm a big Beach House fan, can't picture that band's sound w/o Loveless.

Reaction Score
It's like splitting hairs here. My order is reversed. Filmore a bit more raw than Peach.

Well worth checking out.
On their 2003 tour they were recording and selling cds of each show/stop on that tour. These were not released as albums for the music chart ratings.
I am impartial to this since I was at this show. The sound is impeccable, can be streamed or downloaded on youtube music or Apple music. Must have seen them 20 times.

That really was a fantastic show. I didn’t get a CD for some reason, so I was happy to see it pop up on Spotify.

I was fortunate enough to see them 10 or so times, including one of their final shows at the Beacon Theater in 2014. I had tickets to see the MSG show in March 2020, but I bailed at the last minute due to COVID fears. My friend went and never got sick. I still think it was the right call.

As for At Fillmore East, I think it might very well be the greatest love album of all-time. 1971 and 1991 really were outstanding years for music.

Reaction Score
That really was a fantastic show. I didn’t get a CD for some reason, so I was happy to see it pop up on Spotify.

I was fortunate enough to see them 10 or so times, including one of their final shows at the Beacon Theater in 2014. I had tickets to see the MSG show in March 2020, but I bailed at the last minute due to COVID fears. My friend went and never got sick. I still think it was the right call.

As for At Fillmore East, I think it might very well be the greatest love album of all-time. 1971 and 1991 really were outstanding years for music.
Agree! That was a great show. Also was at Beacon their last show there 10/28/14 4hrs of ABB bliss an unforgettable night, don't go a week without playing them.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Matthew Sweet Girlfriend was a good record. No idea if it holds up. Temple of the Dog was terrific, and Hunger Strike is epic. Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden decent. Bonnie Rait record underrated. Ten and Nevermind obviously should top the list, even if Ten was better. The others in top 5 seem deserved. Achtung Baby not one of U2s best.

Reaction Score
There is some good music here but it can't compare to 1971 The 30 Best Albums of 1971
There are some dynamite albums from this 1991 list. U2, Public Enemy, Pearl Jam, Peppers, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, Guns n Roses all put out phenomenal albums that year, but the 1971 list has been circling social media and was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. I was 2 years-old in 1971, and I can't even imagine albums of this quality coming out week after week after week.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Guns n Roses all put out phenomenal albums
I always thought the two album thing was gimmicky, too much filler. If they had cut it down to one record it would've been incredible.

Reaction Score
I always thought the two album thing was gimmicky, too much filler. If they had cut it down to one record it would've been incredible.
I can respect that opinion. I was a "casual" fan of GnR until these albums came out. Some of the spoken word overdubs are out of place and/or forced, (Get in The Ring, Civil War) but for the most part I don't find a lot of skips on either album. Maybe it's because I've listened to them a thousand times. I find a lot of the songs that weren't singles to be my favorites, Bad Obsession, Dead Horse, Breakdown, Pretty Tied Up, Locomotive. Overlooking the Cool Hand Luke quote at the start and the ramblings of some unknown Peruvian guerrilla, Civil War is one of my favorite all time tunes.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I can respect that opinion. I was a "casual" fan of GnR until these albums came out. Some of the spoken word overdubs are out of place and/or forced, (Get in The Ring, Civil War) but for the most part I don't find a lot of skips on either album. Maybe it's because I've listened to them a thousand times. I find a lot of the songs that weren't singles to be my favorites, Bad Obsession, Dead Horse, Breakdown, Pretty Tied Up, Locomotive. Overlooking the Cool Hand Luke quote at the start and the ramblings of some unknown Peruvian guerrilla, Civil War is one of my favorite all time tunes.
That's cool. It's been a long time since I listened to the albums all the way thru. At the time I didn't think the quality from beginning to end came anywhere close to matching Appetite for Destruction.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
There are some dynamite albums from this 1991 list. U2, Public Enemy, Pearl Jam, Peppers, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, Guns n Roses all put out phenomenal albums that year, but the 1971 list has been circling social media and was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. I was 2 years-old in 1971, and I can't even imagine albums of this quality coming out week after week after week.

The biggest difference I notice from the 1970s (which I think was the greatest decade musically) is the breadth of what was popular (along with how great the rock bands were). Picked a random week in 1975. They all look like this. Country, disco, rock, southern rock, motown, pop, whatever category Neil Sedaka is.
US Top 40 Singles Week Ending 25th October, 1975 - Top40Weekly.com

Same week in 77 and you've got the Star Wars cantina song #1, Foreigner, Ted Nugent, Carly Simon, KC & The Sunshine Band, Commodores, Barry White, Frampton, Bee Gees, Steve Miller, Donna Summer, ELO...it's just kind of wild. You probably remember listening to all those songs, even if they weren't your style.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The biggest difference I notice from the 1970s (which I think was the greatest decade musically) is the breadth of what was popular (along with how great the rock bands were).
Maybe not quite to the same degree, but I think the 80s was kind of like this as well.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Maybe not quite to the same degree, but I think the 80s was kind of like this as well.

The first half was for sure. Later, I'd say less so.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Hell, in the 60s you had Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Who, Everly Bros, Beach Boys, Righteous Bros, Sinatra, Elvis, all the Motown, some doo-wop hangers on, gospel, Roger Miller, Herb Alpert, The Mike Curb Congregation, bubblegum, Bobby Sherman, Lesley Gore, Englebert Humperdinck, Tom Jones, Cream, Hendrix, Santana, Chicago, and Napoleon XiV. And Cousin Brucie and Murray the K to play all the hits.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The biggest difference I notice from the 1970s (which I think was the greatest decade musically) is the breadth of what was popular (along with how great the rock bands were). Picked a random week in 1975. They all look like this. Country, disco, rock, southern rock, motown, pop, whatever category Neil Sedaka is.

Same week in 77 and you've got the Star Wars cantina song #1, Foreigner, Ted Nugent, Carly Simon, KC & The Sunshine Band, Commodores, Barry White, Frampton, Bee Gees, Steve Miller, Donna Summer, ELO...it's just kind of wild. You probably remember listening to all those songs, even if they weren't your style.

We are the same age iirc, which means we grew up with the whole family listening to AM radio, the essence of which the linked Everclear song of the same name manages to capture perfectly imo. And then we saw the birth of album rock and album-rock oriented FM radio in real time. And then we were glued to MTV from its inception, waiting for our favorite videos to be replayed, just like we used to wait for the songs on the AM radio.

Especially if you had older siblings from whom to learn, our era was hands down the best era for music.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
We are the same age iirc, which means we grew up with the whole family listening to AM radio, the essence of which the linked Everclear song of the same name manages to capture perfectly imo. And then we saw the birth of album rock and album-rock oriented FM radio in real time. And then we were glued to MTV from its inception, waiting for our favorite videos to be replayed, just like we used to wait for the songs on the AM radio.

Especially if you had older siblings from whom to learn, our era was hands down the best era for music.

Agreed completely. We even had MTV on campus for two years. I didn’t have older siblings, but my next door neighbor Mike was 2-3 years older and a phenomenal guitar player. Plus we had this kind of extended family of friends we saw constantly at Coventry lake and otherwise, giving me pseudo siblings that were older. American Graffiti also came out, which helped ground us in great 50s tunes, along with Happy Days.

I am glad my daughter has realized that great music is just great music. She has 20-50 year old tunes in her spotify playlists next to songs from her era.

Reaction Score

Agreed 100%. I was born in '69 and my four siblings are 10-18 years older than me. They had an enormous impact on my musical choices. From classic rock, to Motown, to folk. When kids were bringing Shaun Cassidy and Donna Summer albums into music class, I was bringing in Abbey Road and Low Spark. My older brother still recalls that I used money from my 6th birthday and bummed a ride from him to Caldor to buy Physical Graffiti when it was released. I myself, don't remember that, but I DO recall him getting me KISS: Rock and Roll Over for Christmas in 1976.
Agreed completely. We even had MTV on campus for two years. I didn’t have older siblings, but my next door neighbor Mike was 2-3 years older and a phenomenal guitar player. Plus we had this kind of extended family of friends we saw constantly at Coventry lake and otherwise, giving me pseudo siblings that were older. American Graffiti also came out, which helped ground us in great 50s tunes, along with Happy Days.

I am glad my daughter has realized that great music is just great music. She has 20-50 year old tunes in her spotify playlists next to songs from her era.

My daughters (17 and 21) also have Spotify lists that are hugely impacted by what I played for them when they were growing up. As with your daughter, they also have their contemporary favorites; Harry Styles, Phoebe Bridgers, etc. as well.

In the last year, I got them both into vinyl and on a recent trip to Newbury comics in Boston their purchases were; The White Stripes: Get Behind Me Satan, Queen: A Night At The Opera, Nirvana: Nevermind and Blue by Joni Mitchell. I was pretty impressed with that.

Reaction Score
I feel ashamed for looking at clickbait but yeah those were some big albums and pretty revolutionary too.

Reaction Score
Primus' Sailing the Seas of Cheese is criminally underrated. It's better than both Pearl Jam's Ten and Nirvana's Nevermind (both overrated).

Fight me.

Edit: Also, everyone talks about the emergence of grunge, but hip hop/rap was every bit as vital.

I knew Primus was good. But I didn’t know how good until I saw them live with QUOTSA.

Also Les Claypool is in a super band with Trent Anastasio and Stewart Copeland. The live performances are great.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Agreed 100%. I was born in '69 and my four siblings are 10-18 years older than me. They had an enormous impact on my musical choices. From classic rock, to Motown, to folk. When kids were bringing Shaun Cassidy and Donna Summer albums into music class, I was bringing in Abbey Road and Low Spark. My older brother still recalls that I used money from my 6th birthday and bummed a ride from him to Caldor to buy Physical Graffiti when it was released. I myself, don't remember that, but I DO recall him getting me KISS: Rock and Roll Over for Christmas in 1976.

My daughters (17 and 21) also have Spotify lists that are hugely impacted by what I played for them when they were growing up. As with your daughter, they also have their contemporary favorites; Harry Styles, Phoebe Bridgers, etc. as well.

In the last year, I got them both into vinyl and on a recent trip to Newbury comics in Boston their purchases were; The White Stripes: Get Behind Me Satan, Queen: A Night At The Opera, Nirvana: Nevermind and Blue by Joni Mitchell. I was pretty impressed with that.

A big thing with my high school aged daughter and her age groud right now is wearing 70's and 80's classic rock t-shirts. At first I thought maybe she just saw a shirt somewhere and liked it- I think it was a Journey t-shirt. Last week I was at a HS football game and it seemed like every girl in middle school or HS was wearing classic rock t-shirts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom