OT: - 30 Albums Turning 30 | The Boneyard

OT: 30 Albums Turning 30

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Other than like the top 6 it's all crap. Though I was only about 8 at the time, so the mid-late 90s was more my speed.

Reaction Score
Mindless, not quite clickbait but a trip back in time. 30 albums from 1991.

tons of great stuff that year across several genres. Somehow an album with "Shiny Happy People" won best alternative album.

30 albums turning 30 in 2021 that you should listen to (msn.com)

There is some good music here but it can't compare to 1971 The 30 Best Albums of 1971
It's all relative with each decade depending on your age and genre of music your into. I found that both had about the same amount of good albums for my taste.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I hadn't listened to Cypress Hill in years. But while I was visiting my brother last weekend, I made the comment that CT radio sucked balls and I preferred listening to hip-hop over all the "classic rock" junk being played on whatever stations are around Danbury. So he teed up his Sonos with some classic hip-hop and that's what we listened to most of Saturday, including a bunch of Cypress Hill, which still had magic.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I hadn't listened to Cypress Hill in years. But while I was visiting my brother last weekend, I made the comment that CT radio sucked balls and I preferred listening to hip-hop over all the "classic rock" junk being played on whatever stations are around Danbury. So he teed up his Sonos with some classic hip-hop and that's what we listened to most of Saturday, including a bunch of Cypress Hill, which still had magic.
That De La Soul album is also great. Shame that you can’t get their best stuff digitally because of the unlicensed samples.

LL Cool J’s Rock the Bells Radio is one of my presets on SiriusXM. Very reliable for old school hip hop.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

I didn't even notice Cypress Hill in that list, must have looked past it, but their main album was niiiice. I remember listening to it on my walkman with a cassette as a 10 year old or so, jamming to "hits from the bong" lolol

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I'm no 70s music connoisseur but Sticky Fingers and Zeppelin IV (that in particular) being below top 5 is hard to fathom for me.

But yeah, that list of albums and artists in 71' certainly seems deeper than '91.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm no 70s music connoisseur but Sticky Fingers and Zeppelin IV (that in particular) being below top 5 is hard to fathom for me.

But yeah, that list of albums and artists in 71' certainly seems deeper than '91.

Agree with Stones and Zeppin being too low.
Also agree '71 is a deeper lineup.

Nevermind had more influence from '91 going forward than anything from '71 did for the future of rock.

Reaction Score
That De La Soul album is also great. Shame that you can’t get their best stuff digitally because of the unlicensed samples.

LL Cool J’s Rock the Bells Radio is one of my presets on SiriusXM. Very reliable for old school hip hop.

I think it’s less the uncleared samples than it is the dispute they had with Tommy Boy. But apparently Reservoir acquired the rights to their catalog from Tommy Boy and the old ____ should be available online by November. Not having Three Feet High and Rising on my iTunes has been a travesty but it’s going to be over soon.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
It's all relative with each decade depending on your age and genre of music your into. I found that both had about the same amount of good albums for my taste.
totally. first, i checked out the 1991 list, then i did the 1971 list. intrigued, i then did the 2001 list, and the 1981 list. lotsa words on all to tell me why it's good/great. don't need someone to explain to me why i should be impressed. beats don't work that way.
then, with the rules firmly in hand, i checked out someone's best songs of this week. same ol, same ol, someone telling me why it's special/groundbreaking/must hear. meh..
The Best Songs of the Week: Parquet Courts, Denzel Curry, Bedouine and more - Paste (pastemagazine.com)
here is my choice for 'best of a boring batch.'

at least you can dance to it. i could place this tune in the 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s, or now, which it is, as it released 2 days ago. the world could seriously use a 20s version of clean, nonpreachy, upbeat 80s new wave right aboot now.

these lists are always woefully blind to the full array of popular music available at the time, like eg, country rock, disco, or heavy metal.

Last edited:

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
'71 so strong. Hunky Dory iconic. Floyd taking a big step in refining their sound. Epic flute solo by the mesmerizing Ian Anderson. Serge Gainsbourg working his way to getting banned from the mainstream. Melody Nelson is a must listen if you haven't. That year provided a potpurri of greatness.

Cheating a bit perhaps, Weld from Neil Young came out in '91. That is such a great collection, especially Crime in the City, Mansion on the Hill, and perhaps his best Powderfinger.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Mindless, not quite clickbait but a trip back in time. 30 albums from 1991.

tons of great stuff that year across several genres. Somehow an album with "Shiny Happy People" won best alternative album.

30 albums turning 30 in 2021 that you should listen to (msn.com)
Primus' Sailing the Seas of Cheese is criminally underrated. It's better than both Pearl Jam's Ten and Nirvana's Nevermind (both overrated).

Fight me.

Edit: Also, everyone talks about the emergence of grunge, but hip hop/rap was every bit as vital.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Primus' Sailing the Seas of Cheese is criminally underrated. It's better than both Pearl Jam's Ten and Nirvana's Nevermind (both overrated).

Fight me.
I agree, very underrated album by the casual listener. Primus just did not have the mass appeal as Pearl Jam and Nirvana did.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I now want to dive into 2001 (my senior year of HS) and 2011 (prime time fun year for me) to see how they compare...but I’m guessing the subjectivity will overtake any analysis.

Reaction Score
I agree, very underrated album by the casual listener. Primus just did not have the mass appeal as Pearl Jam and Nirvana did.

Fight me.

Edit: Also, everyone talks about the emergence of grunge, but hip hop/rap was every bit as vital.
I’ll fight you on half of the first part….Ten is tremendous….Nevermind a bit less for me

I’m all in with you on the emergence of hip hop at that time

91/92 was just awesome all around…..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom