3 Years Probation for GA Tech | The Boneyard

3 Years Probation for GA Tech

Reaction Score
Appears Nell Fortner is left holding the bag for violations committed under MaChelle Joseph.

Penalties don't appear to be anything drastic:

The probationary period for the women's team does not include a ban on participating in the NCAA tournament, but an infractions committee headed by former Minnesota athletic director Joel Maturi did impose a $5,000 fine plus 1% of the program's annual budget.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Appears Nell Fortner is left holding the bag for violations committed under MaChelle Joseph.

Penalties don't appear to be anything drastic:

The probationary period for the women's team does not include a ban on participating in the NCAA tournament, but an infractions committee headed by former Minnesota athletic director Joel Maturi did impose a $5,000 fine plus 1% of the program's annual budget.
I'm always torn when the NCAA imposes penalties on the current staff and players for the misdeeds of the prior staffs and former players. The NCAA POV is they are penalizing the institution and the current staff and administration just happen to be collateral damage. I guess I'm not as torn as I thought-I'm against the NCAA on this one. Good luck Nell.

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm always torn when the NCAA imposes penalties on the current staff and players for the misdeeds of the prior staffs and former players. The NCAA POV is they are penalizing the institution and the current staff and administration just happen to be collateral damage. I guess I'm not as torn as I thought-I'm against the NCAA on this one. Good luck Nell.
But technically - this time - the punishment largely spares the present team. Show cause orders for both Joseph and an assistant will affect them more than Tech. The fine is not really substantial enough to affect things. And probation just means "don't do anything wrong" for 3 years, which, I note, does not begin until the men's team comes off its probationary period.

I would suggest in this case you should be "for" the NCAA. In general, I agree with you, but this time looks ok to me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom