2026 World Cup Thread. | The Boneyard

2026 World Cup Thread.

Reaction Score
The USA is hosting. We have a guaranteed berth. We have an exceptionally talented young squad albeit with some opportunities. This is a VERY appealing job.

Our Federation has a bottomless pit of money. And the motivation to make a deep run will be at an all time high.

Gregg is out of contract and the word is he wants to move on.

Given all the above we have the resources to hire whoever we want.

Who is your dream manager? Who in world football has proven they can take a young team for a cycle and make them into a group of killers? Time to think big.

Let’s hope the Fed doesn’t trot out Curtin, Marsch or Vermes. Definitely not Tata.

Go big. The biggest.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We will end up with Jesse Marsch assuming he gets sacked and can't find a Championship level gig or better.

I would like a cosch known for positionless football because that is what our squad is set up for.

It's really a catch-22. Do we play traditional hold up with a #9 who doesn't exist or do we play an overlapping slashing style with players who are not technically proficient enough to play that against top teams.

One thing In do want to see is more direct play like the old Leicester City teams. Let Reyna or Weah or whomever make middle runs from midfield.

Reaction Score
....so find a world class Mahrez and flash in the pan generational guy like Jamie Vardy? Got it

Reaction Score
I want Jesse to be very successful in the prem or Europe. We need to develop more coaches who can make the jump and not grab the first to coach the NT

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
....so find a world class Mahrez and flash in the pan generational guy like Jamie Vardy? Got it
Tell me again how we scored our only two group goals? Got it.

Reaction Score
We will end up with Jesse Marsch assuming he gets sacked and can't find a Championship level gig or better.

I would like a cosch known for positionless football because that is what our squad is set up for.

It's really a catch-22. Do we play traditional hold up with a #9 who doesn't exist or do we play an overlapping slashing style with players who are not technically proficient enough to play that against top teams.

One thing In do want to see is more direct play like the old Leicester City teams. Let Reyna or Weah or whomever make middle runs from midfield.

Marsch is a more of a cheerleader type. And he has always been at odds with the Federation over god knows what.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Marsch is a more of a cheerleader type. And he has always been at odds with the Federation over god knows what.

Probably for ignoring him all these years. Bradley lasted a month in the EPL. Marsch will likely have other opportunities in top leagues if he finishes mid table this season even ifnhe gets sacked next season. Leeds is sitting 15 right now, which I think is precarious but not horrible considering he lost his two best players.

I don't necessarily want him for USMNT, but GGG has maxed out. Going into the next cycle many players (perhaps rightfully) will be too comfortable their spots are secure. Not the best case when you know you need the squad to level up. Some of these guys are peaking skill wise and perhaps professionally.

Reaction Score
Why and how did we come to the place where we have to share hosting with the rest of North America?

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Why and how did we come to the place where we have to share hosting with the rest of North America?

Aa a hedge to the rampant corruption that brought us Russia 2018 and Qatar 2022.

Rather than the 3 nations competing against each other and losing. They decided to submit a 3 nation bid, though the US is thr clear lead host. Only 10 or so games will be played in Mex/Can and mostly by Mexico and Canada.

It also allowed FIFA to expand the tournament to 48 teams, which means more $$$ for FIFA and they like money.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't want Marsch. Leipzig was good before he took over, sucked when he managed there, then got good again after he got sacked. We need an international coach.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Why are we assuming Marsch gets sacked?

Everyone gets sacked unless your name is Ferguson. He's an American coach sitting 15th with a team that thinks it should be playing UEFA football. He will get sacked this year or next. Certainly before 2026.

Reaction Score
Fascinated to see what the format will be with 48 teams - don't love the early rumors of 16 groups of 3 with the top 2 moving on into a round of 32. In regard to the MNT coach, all I can say is that no manager should be in charge for more than 1 WC cycle.

Reaction Score
Probably for ignoring him all these years. Bradley lasted a month in the EPL. Marsch will likely have other opportunities in top leagues if he finishes mid table this season even ifnhe gets sacked next season. Leeds is sitting 15 right now, which I think is precarious but not horrible considering he lost his two best players.

I don't necessarily want him for USMNT, but GGG has maxed out. Going into the next cycle many players (perhaps rightfully) will be too comfortable their spots are secure. Not the best case when you know you need the squad to level up. Some of these guys are peaking skill wise and perhaps professionally.

I just think Marsch will get outfoxed like Berhalter did on Saturday. He’s also one of those emotional leaders.

I want the guy that wins the match before the ball is kicked.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I hate the 48 team format. It’s perfect the way it is.
UEFA are about to ruin the Champions League as well and already bloated the Euros. It's become money over quality.

Reaction Score
It was vital for the US to qualify for the 2024 Olympics. Will be interesting to see who the over 23s will be

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
It was vital for the US to qualify for the 2024 Olympics. Will be interesting to see who the over 23s will be

Do we want to win or develop players? I say develop and I would put McKennie in the group with Musah to figure their stuff out. The third would be someone super excited to play in the Olympics or fill some hole in the roster. The odds of someone emerging to challenge MMA is low. I'd rather see more kids get a chance. I think Steffan would probably feel insulted, and I want to see the young keepers get a chance. I don't see either Steffan or Johnson as a threat to Turner right now. You'll want a young GK on the squad in 2026.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Here is my question, Hosts are automatically qualified. Are US, Mexico and Canada all three auto qualified? If so, how is that at all fair to CONCACAF?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Here is my question, Hosts are automatically qualified. Are US, Mexico and Canada all three auto qualified? If so, how is that at all fair to CONCACAF?
The expectation is that all three will qualify automatically. There will still be 3.5 spots remaining for the rest of CONCACAF (which is the number in the current format). I think it evens out because the remaining countries don't have to deal with the U.S. or Mexico.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There's gonna be at least 3 more spots.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The expectation is that all three will qualify automatically. There will still be 3.5 spots remaining for the rest of CONCACAF (which is the number in the current format). I think it evens out because the remaining countries don't have to deal with the U.S. or Mexico.
There's gonna be at least 3 more spots.
So 6 teams instead of 4? I suppose that's great news for Panama, etc. Or is it more just due to expansion?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom