2023 WNBA Free Agency | Page 12 | The Boneyard

2023 WNBA Free Agency

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Not sure if it quite fits here but didn't know where else to put it--LA Sparks waived Chennedy Carter today.
Well, she's a free agent now, no? So I think you picked an applicable thread. ;)
This one looked like it was coming for quite some time.

Seems like the #4 pick is at a crossroads. Who even knows if she'll get a shot a roster spot this spring? Or will fighting for a non-guaranteed spot week-in, week-out ultimately help her? Or will she be up to the task? Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
Well, she's a free agent now, no? So I think you picked an applicable thread. ;)

Seems like the #4 pick is at a crossroads. Who even knows if she'll get a shot a roster spot this spring? Or will fighting for a non-guaranteed spot week-in, week-out ultimately help her? Or will she be up to the task? Stay tuned.
Didn't she have injury issues in the past. I thought she was great in college.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Didn't she have injury issues in the past. I thought she was great in college.
There have been some injuries but Chennedy's main issue is that she doesn't play nice with others, to use the school report phrase. Heavy-volume shooter, takes time off when she's not the focus and not one that has a teammate's back. Now, that might seem like the definition of more than a few pro's but she's now off a roster.

Reaction Score

With all her issues with teammates, she will have a hard time getting an invite to training camp.
Is it worth the risk?

Reaction Score
With all her issues with teammates, she will have a hard time getting an invite to training camp.
Is it worth the risk?
I honestly didn't think it was that bad. What a waste of talent.

Reaction Score
She can't shoot threes whatsoever which is not ideal.
That may be part of the problem but Alyssa Thomas don't shoot threes and is a WNBA All Star. Diamond Miller and Haley Jones is going to have issues in the WNBA as both of them shoot threes at less than 20%.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
That may be part of the problem but Alyssa Thomas don't shoot threes and is a WNBA All Star. Diamond Miller and Haley Jones is going to have issues in the WNBA as both of them shoot threes at less than 20%.

Not sure you're comparing apples to the right kind of oranges.
  • Chennedy Carter is a 5'9" (maybe?) guard whose modus operandi is shooting. A lot. And shooting under 30% from long range is not helping matters.
  • Alyssa Thomas doesn't shoot three's and is something of a unicorn, with her unique skill set. Who else shoots those odd-looking-but-effective one-handers?
  • Jones and Miller are wings, but all-round guards who can drive, shoot the mid-range and fill up the stat sheet.

Reaction Score
It's tough! lol. I think the starting lineups are pretty even, though there are some interesting debates: Stewie vs Wilson, Ionescu vs Plum. But I think the biggest difference is the bench. If NYL brings back Johannes, they have her, Onyenwere, Thorton, Dolson and potentially the 6th pick. If that's someone like Maddy Siegrist, they are pretty loaded. I like that Vegas got Alysha Clark and Riquina Williams off the bench, but other than that I'm not sure they have much proven bench players. I know Hammon plays the starters a lot anyways, but still.

I also think a lot of the Liberty have played together overseas. I'm pretty sure JJ, Sloot, and Stewie have played with one another overseas. So roster wise and in terms of who may win the most games, I think NYL has the edge. But in an actual finals matchup, I'm not sure Sloot or Ionescu can guard Plum and Gray, which I think is a big deal.
Apparently bench doesn't matter. Also was sleeping on Jackie Young a bit. but....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom