2023 UConn Football Commit - Joseph Fagnano (Williamsport PA) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2023 UConn Football Commit - Joseph Fagnano (Williamsport PA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You can eliminate option 3, he's not coming here for practice depth, I think that much is obvious. Based on everything we know about him he has a good chance to be our starter for game one.

What players think they can achieve and what coaches who bring them in think they can achieve are not always the same thing.

Reaction Score
So realistically (assuming Roberson isn't 100% ready to go by fall) it's Millen, Turner, Tyler and Joe? Joe has the most experience both in game and with the OC. So should be a fun spring to watch.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
So realistically (assuming Roberson isn't 100% ready to go by fall) it's Millen, Turner, Tyler and Joe? Joe has the most experience both in game and with the OC. So should be a fun spring to watch.

I don't think Millen starts the Fall as QB2.

Assuming Roberson is ready and no defections, the Depth Chart entering July has a good chance to be:
1. Roberson
2. Turner / Fagnano
4. Millen / Puma
6. Tucker McDonald (Redshirt?)

Reaction Score
Which has to be why he was brought in. Knows the playbook and system and if nothing else can act as a mentor in a room lacking experience. A coach in waiting?
Honest question, knowledge or speculation?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I don't think Millen starts the Fall as QB2.

Assuming Roberson is ready and no defections, the Depth Chart entering July has a good chance to be:
1. Roberson
2. Turner / Fagnano
4. Millen / Puma
6. Tucker McDonald (Redshirt?)
Don't forget Zermeno.

Reaction Score
I just want to win but I can’t help wanting to see more Tyler Phommachanh. There was a lot of excitement with him on the field. If he’s healthy he’s gotta play somewhere, QB or not.

Reaction Score
Maine career passing stats:

View attachment 82963
I understand 2020 was a shortened COVID year but anyone know why his numbers dropped off in his final 2 years? 2019 is impressive and that was under Chartlon which is noteworthy.

He definitely has a good shot at winning the starting job IMO.

Reaction Score
I understand 2020 was a shortened COVID year but anyone know why his numbers dropped off in his final 2 years? 2019 is impressive and that was under Chartlon which is noteworthy.

He definitely has a good shot at winning the starting job IMO.
He sustained a high ankle sprain in the second game of the 21-22 season and missed 7 games before coming back for the last two games.

Last year Maine went 2-9 as a team under a new coaching staff.

Reaction Score
Welcome to UConn!

I like his touch, timing and recognition. Not overpowering but makes up for it. A few throws he maybe shouldn't be making unless the situation calls for it. He's in the mix for sure. Great work by the staff.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He throws a really nice accurate medium/deep balls. I think he may have more upside than Turner…. One thing I noticed , instead of immediately running away when there is pressure, he steps up in the pocket and isn’t afraid to get hit while throwing the ball. I like that and we really need a qb who can do that.
Doesn’t put a lot of zip on the ball but as others have noted he throws a very catchable accurate ball. Looks like he’s comfortable in the pocket and sees the field.

That is most concerning. His balls take a lot of time to get there. That won't translate well to better D1 ball.

Hope he is depth and not pressing for starters snaps.

Reaction Score
That is most concerning. His balls take a lot of time to get there. That won't translate well to better D1 ball.

A couple of his throws on the highlight were 40 and 50 yard passes. He also threw off platform pretty well which takes arm strength. Not really worried about his arm.

The one thing I liked is he threw his receivers open. Leading them into areas where there no defenders. Didn't see much of that this year.

Reaction Score
This is the bottom line. Charlton knows what he can do and wanted him, so this has to be good. We just don't know whether he wanted him to be the #1, compete to be the #1 or just add depth for practices.
He has more D1 experience than the other 5 combined.

Reaction Score

I mean the players were wide open though, on top of that, he is not a Mike beaudry who had the slowest release for a qb we ever saw in which I don’t understand till this day why edsall brought in a d2 qb. Back to your point though, his passes get to his receivers hands and he put up good stats against Liberty and BC. If we are worried about zip, I think that is something Charlton can fix, but many times this season Zion passes were behind the receivers at times and sometimes he put too much in his throws which led to the balls being out of reach from the receivers. All in all we need a qb who has a touch on his throws to accurately get the ball to the wrs when open.

Reaction Score

It’s hard to say if that’s a problem until game time. Quite a few college QBs have a softer touch. We’ve seen similar throws from Casey Cochran and Cody Endres at UConn McKenzie Milton threw like that too.

Reaction Score
I mean the players were wide open though, on top of that, he is not a Mike beaudry who had the slowest release for a qb we ever saw in which I don’t understand till this day why edsall brought in a d2 qb. Back to your point though, his passes get to his receivers hands and he put up good stats against Liberty and BC. If we are worried about zip, I think that is something Charlton can fix, but many times this season Zion passes were behind the receivers at times and sometimes he put too much in his throws which led to the balls being out of reach from the receivers. All in all we need a qb who has a touch on his throws to accurately get the ball to the wrs when open.
No leading receivers this year. Lots of lost yardage, even on catches, because receivers had to slow down/ turn around/ and sometimes even come back to make a catch. Even lost a TD or two in my mind because of it. Was encouraged by how well Fagnano appears to lead his receivers, hitting them in stride.

Reaction Score
I am encouraged by the apprehension here. Every year it seems like we anoint an incoming QB as the savior but rarely do they make much if any difference. Typically it seems the afterthoughts perform better.

Reaction Score
It’s hard to say if that’s a problem until game time. Quite a few college QBs have a softer touch. We’ve seen similar throws from Casey Cochran and Cody Endres at UConn McKenzie Milton threw like that too.

Casey did not have much velocity on the ball at all. He made up for it by making very quick and smart decisions.

Fagnano has enough arm strength to be a successful FBS QB. The posters expressing concerns about it are being ridiculous (FCS prejudice)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, I saw a guy who finds wide open receivers and takes his time delivering a very catchable ball. Two sets of eyes can see different things. We've seen QBs here far too often miss wide open guys. Ask any scout and accuracy is #1 on their list over arm strength. And even still we saw this kid throw accurate passes 40 to 50 yards downfield on his highlight tape. Endres is who he reminds me of with his catchable passes. I remember he putting it in a perfect spot for Marcus Easly on a crossing route against WVU which he took like 70 yards for a TD.

Reaction Score

Great observation. On his highlight reel I said to myself exactly that. But, he seems to step up, get rid of the ball quickly and has good field recognition. Of course, it’s a small sample size. The only few that have any shot of making an impact are Roberson, possibly Joe F, and maybe Tyler. ZT will compete but I honestly can’t see it after the number of snaps he got with no real development.

Reaction Score

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger