Men - 2023 UConn Baseball schedule | The Boneyard

Men 2023 UConn Baseball schedule

Reaction Score
The 2023 spring baseball schedule was handed out at the Alumni Game today. Because of the road trip to Hawaii, this 2023 schedule has 58 games listed instead of the normal 56.

February

17-20 vs. Ohio State (@Port Charlotte, FL) - 4 game series
24-26 @ California

March

3-5 @ FAU
7 Hartford
10-13 @ Hawaii - 4 game series
16-19 @ San Diego State - 4 game series
22 UMass
24-26 Rutgers
28 Boston College
31 UMBC

April

1-2 UMBC - Saturday game in Hartford
4 Columbia
6 @ St. John’s (DH)
8 @ St. Johns
10 CCSU - game in Hartford
11 Bryant
14-16 @ Xavier
18 Northeastern
19 @ Boston College
21-23 Georgetown
25 Yale - game in Hartford
26 Army
28-30 @ Villanova

May

5-7 Seton Hall
9 LIU
10 Hofstra
12-14 Butler
16 @ Rhode Island
18-20 @ Creighton

Reaction Score
Good to see Rutgers and Columbia on the schedule. Probably the best two northeast programs outside of us obviously.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Neither a brutal OOC nor an easy one. I notice a lot less UMass types for local games, in lieu of new faces like Columbia, Hofstra, etc.

Ohio State, Cal, and FAU are decent albeit beatable. Hawaii and SDSU were pretty tame last year.

Reaction Score
Now that there are two kids from Maine on the roster, I'd like to see a game with UMaine. Some years ago, UConn played the Black Bears at Hadlock Field in Portland (home of the AA Sea Dogs). It's less than three hours from Storrs and about 2 hours from Orono. Was down at the Alumni game yesterday and spoke to both Maine families, both of whom live within a half hour of Portland. There is also a nice field in Old Orchard Beach (about 20 minutes closer to UConn) and another in Sanford, both of which host New England collegiate baseball league teams. Probably wouldn't help the dreaded RPI much, if at all, but....

Reaction Score
24 projected home games is a welcome sight, up a couple from last year. 21 at Elliot and 3 in Hartford. I am not a big fan of although I do acknowledge that it helps with visibility to less than casual fans who are local to Hartford.

Reaction Score
Neither a brutal OOC nor an easy one. I notice a lot less UMass types for local games, in lieu of new faces like Columbia, Hofstra, etc.

Ohio State, Cal, and FAU are decent albeit beatable. Hawaii and SDSU were pretty tame last year.

Columbia (38), Hofstra (120), Ohio State (128), California (78), FAU (85), and Hawaii (114) all had solid RPI's last season. San Diego State (220) fell off the turnip truck last year, that's for sure. However, D1Baseball.com has been coming out with their ratings of the top 100 baseball programs over the last couple of weeks (they are rating teams for how they have done over the last 5 to 10 years or so), and they seem to still think pretty well of SDSU.

Reaction Score
May take my Spring Break trip a week early this March. Catch a few innings.

Reaction Score

I'm sure it will be pretty similar to the schedule that was made available at the Alumni Game, with more additional game times. Still, the official release is something I always look forward to.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing that the tweet below may be referring to the coming release of the 2023 schedule:

Reaction Score
The 2023 spring baseball schedule was handed out at the Alumni Game today. Because of the road trip to Hawaii, this 2023 schedule has 58 games listed instead of the normal 56.

February

17-20 vs. Ohio State (@Port Charlotte, FL) - 4 game series
24-26 @ California

March

3-5 @ FAU
7 Hartford
10-13 @ Hawaii - 4 game series
16-19 @ San Diego State - 4 game series
22 UMass
24-26 Rutgers
28 Boston College
31 UMBC

April

1-2 UMBC - Saturday game in Hartford
4 Columbia
6 @ St. John’s (DH)
8 @ St. Johns
10 CCSU - game in Hartford
11 Bryant
14-16 @ Xavier
18 Northeastern
19 @ Boston College
21-23 Georgetown
25 Yale - game in Hartford
26 Army
28-30 @ Villanova

May

5-7 Seton Hall
9 LIU
10 Hofstra
12-14 Butler
16 @ Rhode Island
18-20 @ Creighton

The above 2023 UConn baseball schedule is now up on the UConn Athletics website. Game times still need to be filled in.

Reaction Score
So now that it's officially official, slightly disappointing the only 3 opponents that were in the NCAA tourney last year are LIU, Hofstra and Columbia. Of the "P5" teams (aka in a multi-big league) scheduled in 2023:
  • Ohio State 21-30 (8-14, 11th B10)
  • Cal 29-27 (14-16, 7th P12)
  • Rutgers 44-15 (17-7, 2nd B10) -- lost to Michigan in B10 Tourney Championship game, but clearly NCAA-worthy...
  • BC 19-34 (5-25, dead last in ACC)
So, to me, this is a weak schedule. If Rutgers can have the season like they did last year and miss out on the big dance because they didn't win the conference tourney, the same can be said for us. I know scheduling isn't easy, but unless we win the BE tourney, we're not dancing with this schedule, which is a damn shame...

Reaction Score
So now that it's officially official, slightly disappointing the only 3 opponents that were in the NCAA tourney last year are LIU, Hofstra and Columbia. Of the "P5" teams (aka in a multi-big league) scheduled in 2023:
  • Ohio State 21-30 (8-14, 11th B10)
  • Cal 29-27 (14-16, 7th P12)
  • Rutgers 44-15 (17-7, 2nd B10) -- lost to Michigan in B10 Tourney Championship game, but clearly NCAA-worthy...
  • BC 19-34 (5-25, dead last in ACC)
So, to me, this is a weak schedule. If Rutgers can have the season like they did last year and miss out on the big dance because they didn't win the conference tourney, the same can be said for us. I know scheduling isn't easy, but unless we win the BE tourney, we're not dancing with this schedule, which is a damn shame...

Looking at the RPI's of teams on the coming schedule from last and previous seasons, it is not a bad out of conference schedule at all for UConn. For instance, BC had an RPI of 136 last season. Having BC on the schedule for 2 games is hardly an RPI killer. From a recent post of mine in this thread:

Columbia (38), Hofstra (120), Ohio State (128), California (78), FAU (85), and Hawaii (114) all had solid RPI's last season. San Diego State (220) fell off the turnip truck last year, that's for sure. However, D1Baseball.com has been coming out with their ratings of the top 100 baseball programs over the last couple of weeks (they are rating teams for how they have done over the last 5 to 10 years or so), and they seem to still think pretty well of SDSU.

Reaction Score
Looking at the RPI's of teams on the coming schedule from last and previous seasons, it is not a bad out of conference schedule at all for UConn. For instance, BC had an RPI of 136 last season. Having BC on the schedule for 2 games is hardly an RPI killer. From a recent post of mine in this thread:
I think it's a perfectly fine schedule by our standards, but at the end of the day we need to have the hardest possible OOC schedule to avoid missing out of the NCAAs. Rutgers is a prime example of this -- they are in a better conference and had a very similar record to us, yet still didn't get in because they lost in their tourney. They were 42 in RPI last year, we were 43. The only "northern" school with a better RPI than us two was Notre Dame (13), because they play in a stacked ACC -- and we had 11 more wins than them!

We need to STACK the schedule like a Gonzaga does in basketball. We get ZERO respect because we're in the Northeast and not in the ACC/B12/SEC/P12, so you have to earn that respect on a yearly basis. WIthout being extremely aggressive, you're a flukely loss away from not making it to the NCAA's -- which isn't right. Rutgers, not only the 2 seed in the tourney, outscored opponents in the B10 tourney 29-9 before falling in a one-game finals. Maybe that's as flawed as the selection process, but you need to do everything in your power to avoid that situation, and that starts with having a brutal OOC schedule.

I get it -- it's not easy to schedule these things. And last year I remember we scheduled some traditionally strong programs that had down years. SEC/ACC teams probably don't want to play us, I get it. But there has to be something done to improve our schedule. Side note: it's also crazy to me the B10 is so down by baseball standards, essentially on the BE level? We need to do something with them to help both conferences out.

Reaction Score
I think it's a perfectly fine schedule by our standards, but at the end of the day we need to have the hardest possible OOC schedule to avoid missing out of the NCAAs. Rutgers is a prime example of this -- they are in a better conference and had a very similar record to us, yet still didn't get in because they lost in their tourney. They were 42 in RPI last year, we were 43. The only "northern" school with a better RPI than us two was Notre Dame (13), because they play in a stacked ACC -- and we had 11 more wins than them!

We need to STACK the schedule like a Gonzaga does in basketball. We get ZERO respect because we're in the Northeast and not in the ACC/B12/SEC/P12, so you have to earn that respect on a yearly basis. WIthout being extremely aggressive, you're a flukely loss away from not making it to the NCAA's -- which isn't right. Rutgers, not only the 2 seed in the tourney, outscored opponents in the B10 tourney 29-9 before falling in a one-game finals. Maybe that's as flawed as the selection process, but you need to do everything in your power to avoid that situation, and that starts with having a brutal OOC schedule.

I get it -- it's not easy to schedule these things. And last year I remember we scheduled some traditionally strong programs that had down years. SEC/ACC teams probably don't want to play us, I get it. But there has to be something done to improve our schedule. Side note: it's also crazy to me the B10 is so down by baseball standards, essentially on the BE level? We need to do something with them to help both conferences out.

Rutgers is an interesting example that you mentioned. Certainly they play in a good conference, but the RPI's of the teams they played out of conference also ended up on the poor side, which is a big reason they did not make the NCAA Tournament. It made a lot of sense for both UConn and Rutgers to add each other to their respective schedules. UConn will be playing a weekend series away at Rutgers, I believe next season.

As for UConn and future scheduling, I have heard they are definitely looking to upgrade the out of conference schedule in future seasons. We'll see how it all works out.

Reaction Score

I wouldn’t be sure Rutgers is in a better conference. The Big East has done quite well against the Big 10 in head to head competition.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t be sure Rutgers is in a better conference. The Big East has done quite well against the Big 10 in head to head competition.
In terms of resources in general, Big 10 ADs dwarf BE...in all sports, not just baseball. B10 should be a better conference, even if on the field they're on par with our teams. Resources-wise though, they are a better conference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom