2023 Starting QB Debate | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2023 Starting QB Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Lundt made it back FWIW
I don’t understand your post. You think that everyone recovers from major surgery in exactly the same amount of time? And that OL require the exact same extent and type of recovery for their running that QBs do for theirs? Not to mention, Lundt clearly wasn’t at 100% at the start of the season as he couldn’t pass block a lick, but as the season wore on that became less and less of a problem.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand your post. You think that everyone recovers from major surgery in exactly the same amount of time? And that OL require the exact same extent and type of recovery for their running that QBs do for theirs? Not to mention, Lundt clearly wasn’t at 100% at the start of the season as he couldn’t pass block a lick, but as the season wore on that became less and less of a problem.
No I don’t think so, I was just stating Lundt made it back earlier than expected because his injury was towards the end of the season. I know ACL takes 9-12 months and athlete have come back as quick as 6 months which is crazy. So thought we wouldn’t see him play this year. Lundt didn’t participate in the spring but did in the fall, but Tyler Phommachanh took reps in the fall with the first team at qb so I thought he was good to go but I do remember Mora saying they did not want to push him, but then we never saw Tyler Phommachanh featured as the season was going on. So I don’t know. Lundt still struggled with pass blocking as the season went on.

Reaction Score
I don't find it hard at all to believe he was told he was sitting out all season. He tore his ACL during the 2021 season. Missing the 2022 season puts him at 13-14 months between injury and the end of the 2022 season. That isn't unreasonable at all.

Same will be true for Roberson. He will be cleared to some things in the spring, will do conditioning and drills over the summer and be cleared to do some more in the fall. But Sep 2023 is 12 months from his injury. Even with advances in modern medicine, 12 months from ACL to back on the field is impressive. Yes, everyone one of us will be able to Google some players who made it back in less than a year; it's possible and it happens. But it isn't a slam dunk 12 month return timeframe.
It’s not just the physical part. There is a mental hurdle to conquer to know you’re ok. That different for all of us.

Reaction Score
No I don’t think so, I was just stating Lundt made it back earlier than expected because his injury was towards the end of the season. I know ACL takes 9-12 months and athlete have come back as quick as 6 months which is crazy. So thought we wouldn’t see him play this year. Lundt didn’t participate in the spring but did in the fall, but Tyler Phommachanh took reps in the fall with the first team at qb so I thought he was good to go but I do remember Mora saying they did not want to push him, but then we never saw Tyler Phommachanh featured as the season was going on. So I don’t know. Lundt still struggled with pass blocking as the season went on.
As to Tyler Phommachanh, none of us know. But talking about the speed at which Lundt recovered just isn’t relevant. As far as Lundt goes, I’m hardly an expert at grading OL but I disagree. The rush from our right was like guys going through revolving doors early in the season. It was totally different the second half of the season.

Reaction Score
Thread is off the rails.

Turner played well enough to go into the spring as a Candidate for the starting job.

He also left a lot to be desired out there as far as accuracy, turnovers, and explosiveness. I think he can manage the offense, he has guts and can play the position.

But, is he explosiven enough as a runner? No. Is he an incredible pocket passer? No.

So he has to be accurate and make great decisions and be more precise. That is what we have to see. He isn’t going to make up for not being precise with physical ability (he can’t outrun a bad read, or use his arm to beat a bad decision).

His path to the starting job is in attention to detail. Can he do that? I say yes. He made strides during the season. But you have to see it.

Mora should bring in QBs to beat out him and Roberson. Let the best player play.

Reaction Score
Thread is off the rails.

Turner played well enough to go into the spring as a Candidate for the starting job.

He also left a lot to be desired out there as far as accuracy, turnovers, and explosiveness. I think he can manage the offense, he has guts and can play the position.

But, is he explosiven enough as a runner? No. Is he an incredible pocket passer? No.

So he has to be accurate and make great decisions and be more precise. That is what we have to see. He isn’t going to make up for not being precise with physical ability (he can’t outrun a bad read, or use his arm to beat a bad decision).

His path to the starting job is in attention to detail. Can he do that? I say yes. He made strides during the season. But you have to see it.

Mora should bring in QBs to beat out him and Roberson. Let the best player play.
This. Anything else is speculation. Next objective evidence available to the public will be in the spring. And we won’t be privy to all the objective information.

Reaction Score
You're going to put Tyler in for one play (or even the rest of the drive) when he hasn't played in over a year? We don't even know if Tyler is cleared to play, do we?

Tyler, like the rest of the QB room will get the chance to show what he's got in 2023.

I guess that comment was in jest but I will say this….

Mora made a fairly big coaching error leaving Zion in the game on that set of downs in 4th quarter. The kid could not walk and the game was on the line.

If they have not one QB that could have gone in and given us a chance, then they need to do a better job developing their backup QB Position.

Reaction Score
Your ”seems healthy enough” is based on what? Because we’ve seen people who have said that, on the sideline, Tyler Phommachanh was wearing some type of brace and was not moving normally.
I saw him throw passes during warm ups and I can tell you that he most definitely looked ready to go by late Oct. This kid did not appear to be given a shot but we’ll see what happens next year. If he sticks around and Mora gives him a real shot to earn position then perhaps there was some strategy in sitting hIm this year but we’ll see.

Reaction Score
I saw him throw passes during warm ups and I can tell you that he most definitely looked ready to go by late Oct. This kid did not appear to be given a shot but we’ll see what happens next year. If he sticks around and Mora gives him a real shot to earn position then perhaps there was some strategy in sitting hIm this year but we’ll see.

Throwing passes doesn't equal a healthy knee and full confidence in his ability to go.

Tyler Phommachanh expressed some concern back at the start of the season, while Mora mentioned that while his knee may be healthy there is still the mental part to get past... that was back at the start of the year, who knows how things evolved from there (as it stands he likely would have 4 years of eligibility left if he wants them).

What we do know is that by the end of the season, he still wasn't regarded as a better option than a banged up Zion or Millen during a bowl game (which I believe he could've played in without sacrificing the potential additional redshirt year (with 2021 pivoting to be the medical redshirt and 2022 being a standard one)).

Reaction Score
Who is Brayden Zermeno? Newly added? Not sure if he was just added to the roster. His Twitter page says UConn QB and his last pinned tweet was that he has committed to U of Arizona from a year ago. Sorry if this was mentioned in the previous 7 pages....I just haven't seen or heard his name. If he can throw for more than 120 yds / game he's in the running for the starting qb spot.

Reaction Score
Who is Brayden Zermeno? Newly added? Not sure if he was just added to the roster. His Twitter page says UConn QB and his last pinned tweet was that he has committed to U of Arizona from a year ago. Sorry if this was mentioned in the previous 7 pages....I just haven't seen or heard his name. If he can throw for more than 120 yds / game he's in the running for the starting qb spot.
He’s been on the roster since September:
“Zermeno is a freshman from Los Angeles. He had double-digit offers coming out of Loyola High School. Most were from FCS schools, but two were from FBS programs: Maryland and San Diego State. He was committed to Princeton before coming to Arizona as a preferred walk-on.”

Three Star preferred walk on at Arizona.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
It's going to be another frustrating year quarterback news-wise this year. Mora hasn't been completely transparent about injuries and availability (or the media never asks). And we have multiple quarterbacks with injury issues...and will have injury issues.

So...get ready for lots of "they all look great" and "I feel comfortable with our options" and no follow up questions from the media.

I doubt we know for sure who is starting the first game until game week or game time. Mora seems to like the gamesmanship. But the boneyard will be very nervous and frustrated....lol.

Reaction Score
I doubt we know for sure who is starting the first game until game week or game time. Mora seems to like the gamesmanship. But the boneyard will be very nervous and frustrated....lol.
The QB situation is destroying the BY. Already seeing some wild takes like there's little chance Zion plays, or Roberson is definitely QB1 (because he was a 4-star 4 years ago?)

Reaction Score
Off season banter/speculation is fun. I love picking up a kid who threw for 5k yards, and 45tds playing pretty tough FCS competition. Like all the other guys he is going to have to compete for the job. Whoever wins it will have 4 very experienced returning starting offensive linemen. Presumably a healthy Keelan Marrion, and Cam Ross to go with Joly and Clercius. A former 4 star TE from Michigan. RBs Rosa, Houston, and Brewton have all flashed in spots.

Guys there is a lot here to be excited about for next year.

Reaction Score
At this point Zion has earned the right to compete for the job. Nothing more, nothing less.
I think we won 6 games with Zion starting as a true freshman. Our top 3 receivers were out for basically the entire season and we lost one of the top rushing backs in the country to a season ending surgery. We also lost our number 2 running back to injury. This kid has earned more then just the right to compete. That being said I am sure the coaching staff will play the best QB next year.

Reaction Score
The QB situation is destroying the BY. Already seeing some wild takes like there's little chance Zion plays, or Roberson is definitely QB1 (because he was a 4-star 4 years ago?)
Spring ball and preseason practices will determine who the starting QB will be, that being said, if Roberson is back 100% then it’s him.

Reaction Score
I don't have a lot of hope for Tyler P or Roberson. It seems football players coming back from ACL injuries are never the same. See Terry Cauley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom