2023 Starting QB Debate | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2023 Starting QB Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think part of it, is to this point, he hasn't demonstrated that he routinely needs to be accounted for as a running threat. You can see that in the way that defenses crash on the RB for zone read plays.

Teams sell out against the RB because they know ZT doesn't want to run the ball. ZT isn't a pure option QB and that is the death knell of running option plays.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Don’t believe your lying eyes..ZT is slow on his feet, he has poor vision, makes bad decisions and can only throw a long ball with accuracy.. not a formula for success.
And I'll root for him wherever and whenever because of what he meant to our team this year and our program overall. I hope I'm rooting for him for four years at UConn.

Who knows the future with ZT -- I'm not saying he's the answer, I'm not saying he should start next year, I'm not saying he won't be a 4 year starter for us. Nobody's got a crystal ball. But I hate posts like this that underrate what this kid did for this team.

Reaction Score
And I'll root for him wherever and whenever because of what he meant to our team this year and our program overall. I hope I'm rooting for him for four years at UConn.

Who knows the future with ZT -- I'm not saying he's the answer, I'm not saying he should start next year, I'm not saying he won't be a 4 year starter for us. Nobody's got a crystal ball. But I hate posts like this that underrate what this kid did for this team.
It doesn’t underrate what he did for the team in any way. He did what he did. It is just a candid assessment.

Reaction Score
Since it does not look like we will land a QB transfer, my gut is that we will have open competition similar to last year which will have the same result. Roberson as QB1 to start the year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think part of it, is to this point, he hasn't demonstrated that he routinely needs to be accounted for as a running threat. You can see that in the way that defenses crash on the RB for zone read plays.
Given how thin we were at QB, that may have been by design.

Reaction Score
Anyone saying Puma isn’t the answer is very closed minded. Puma showed more scrambling around than anyone else has since. He may not be a legit FBS QB, but he absolutely showed as much as we’ve seen from Zion and Millen and he had pea brains for coaches.

I want to see Tyler Phommachanh, Roberson or someone new. Zion needs a year or two to develop. I am not trashing Zion, it was just too much, too soon for him.
I have to admit, I thought based on his performance with a depleted O line last year that he would be in automatic contention for the job. People kept making claims he wasn’t healthy - seems heathy enough.

I will go on record in saying that if Mora can’t see the need to put Tyler Phommachanh in when Zion could barely walk on a crucial 4th down play in a bowl game, then he will never give Tyler Phommachanh a shot.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I won't dismiss you comment and I've had the same thought. I also know football is absolutely a sport where hesistancy and indecisiveness increases your chances of getting injured. IMO, with option plays it's best to go all out on each play but limit the total number of times you do it if you want to minimize injury risk.

CL82

Reaction Score
I won't dismiss you comment and I've had the same thought. I also know football is absolutely a sport where hesistancy and indecisiveness increases your chances of getting injured. IMO, with option plays it's best to go all out on each play but limit the total number of times you do it if you want to minimize injury risk.
Agree. I also think, though, with basically one functional quarterback left, no disrespect intended to Millen, it would be foolhardy to run him routinely. That’s one of the few reasons why I think we haven’t seen Zion’s best yet.

Reaction Score
I have to admit, I thought based on his performance with a depleted O line last year that he would be in automatic contention for the job. People kept making claims he wasn’t healthy - seems heathy enough.

I will go on record in saying that if Mora can’t see the need to put Tyler Phommachanh in when Zion could barely walk on a crucial 4th down play in a bowl game, then he will never give Tyler Phommachanh a shot.
You're going to put Tyler in for one play (or even the rest of the drive) when he hasn't played in over a year? We don't even know if Tyler is cleared to play, do we?

Tyler, like the rest of the QB room will get the chance to show what he's got in 2023.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Agree. I also think, though, with basically one functional quarterback left, no disrespect intended to Millen, it would be foolhardy to run him routinely. That’s one of the few reasons why I think we haven’t seen Zion’s best yet.

When Turner did commit to the run, he was still slow, or average speed at best and showed little ability to elude tackles or break tackles. I mentioned earlier in this thread Turner is not a true dual threat QB. He is a pocket passer, who, when he decides to run, is average. And since he is only average in his running abilities as a QB, when he is hesitant to commit to the run or hesitant on his path for running, he gets gobbled up.

Small sample size, but Roberson seemed much more comfortable the few times he took off and ran. Of course, that comfort level ended up with a season ending ACL in less than 2 quarters.

Maybe Bart Simpson was right in the first Simpson's episode after their Christmas special in 1989....Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Welcome to eye test 101.
Roberson looked good for the 5 mins prior to going down. Last year, Tyler Phommachanh was our best QB in the minimal amount he played. Both are better than ZT.
Talk amongst yourselves. Class dismissed.
Roberson played 5 downs and I believe 2 were passing plays....so how you can say he looked better in the 5 minutes he played is rather silly, to put it nicely......I'd like to see what he can bring to the table but we didn't see anything from him this year unfortunately.

CL82

Reaction Score
When Turner did commit to the run, he was still slow, or average speed at best and showed little ability to elude tackles or break tackles. I mentioned earlier in this thread Turner is not a true dual threat QB. He is a pocket passer, who, when he decides to run, is average. And since he is only average in his running abilities as a QB, when he is hesitant to commit to the run or hesitant on his path for running, he gets gobbled up.

Small sample size, but Roberson seemed much more comfortable the few times he took off and ran. Of course, that comfort level ended up with a season ending ACL in less than 2 quarters.

Maybe Bart Simpson was right in the first Simpson's episode after their Christmas special in 1989....Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
I know you know this, but he does not need to be lightning quick to be more effective running the ball. I suspect next year he will look a lot better being a year older, with one years experience, and a deeper, and more varied, playbook.

I have no idea how much better Roberson was at the start of the season, and whether the difference that got him the nod as our starting quarterback, would be mitigated by a more experienced and slightly older Zion. It’s interesting to me that people seem very passionate about who our quarterback should be, I honestly have no idea. I guess we will see what the portal brings and how spring practice goes and maybe will have a better idea. I’d rather the decision be made sooner rather than later though, so that our QB1 is getting more reps.

For what it’s worth, I also don’t think we can fairly evaluate Charleton. He was designing plays for the number two quarterback, and the number three running back. In addition, for the most of the year we really didn’t have our receiving core, except for Joly another true freshman. He had a bunch of what seemed like questionable calls, but his decision to “go go gadget” may well have been derivative of personnel limitations.

I hope we stay healthy next year, or at least healthier, so that we get a better understanding of what the coaches and players can do under less adverse circumstances.

Reaction Score
We played all but the first quarter of the first game without a real backup QB. If they didn’t go out of their way to limit the amount of times Zion would be hit, both by designed runs and by passing plays that would take time to develop, they would have been idiots. And our staff was not idiotic.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I know you know this, but he does not need to be lightning quick to be more effective running the ball. I suspect next year he will look a lot better being a year older, with one years experience, and a deeper, and more varied, playbook.

I have no idea how much better Roberson was at the start of the season, and whether the difference that got him the nod as our starting quarterback, would be mitigated by a more experienced and slightly older Zion. It’s interesting to me that people seem very passionate about who our quarterback should be, I honestly have no idea. I guess we will see what the portal brings and how spring practice goes and maybe will have a better idea. I’d rather the decision be made sooner rather than later though, so that our QB1 is getting more reps.

For what it’s worth, I also don’t think we can fairly evaluate Charleton. He was designing plays for the number two quarterback, and the number three running back. In addition, for the most of the year we really didn’t have our receiving core, except for Joly another true freshman. He had a bunch of what seemed like questionable calls, but his decision to “go go gadget” may well have been derivative of personnel limitations.

I hope we stay healthy next year, or at least healthier, so that we get a better understanding of what the coaches and players can do under less adverse circumstances.

Turner just seemed stiff when he was running. I also kept thinking Kevin Mensah where he seemed to turn 8-yard runs in to 3-yard runs. There would be a bunch of green grass and then defenders would just close down any running room and make the stop.

And yes, I get this was on offense which had to audible to making a game plan for a true freshman and there is room for improvement in Turner's skills and Charlton's creativity.

Reaction Score

Your ”seems healthy enough” is based on what? Because we’ve seen people who have said that, on the sideline, Tyler Phommachanh was wearing some type of brace and was not moving normally.

Reaction Score
Since it does not look like we will land a QB transfer, my gut is that we will have open competition similar to last year which will have the same result. Roberson as QB1 to start the year.
Brady Allen just entered yesterday. There will be players jumping in until the last day.

Mora and Charlton continue to communicate with new players all the time.

Charlton recently started following Jason Brown, RS-SR and somehow alum of SCar. Transfered to VT last year and managed to get an extra year waiver for next year. This is a guy that may not come in to be a started but brings experience with big time SEC program and VT.

Charlton is still following Brin, Rogers, Calzada, Bachmeier, Bazelak.

Reaction Score
You're going to put Tyler in for one play (or even the rest of the drive) when he hasn't played in over a year? We don't even know if Tyler is cleared to play, do we?

Tyler, like the rest of the QB room will get the chance to show what he's got in 2023.
I agree with this take. But here’s the thing…didn’t Tyler participate in pre-season summer workouts? You’d think that if he was well enough to do that 4 months ago that he’d be ok for a few plays in the bowl game.

I have to believe that when the season started he was told that he’d be sat out for the year.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I agree with this take. But here’s the thing…didn’t Tyler participate in pre-season summer workouts? You’d think that if he was well enough to do that 4 months ago that he’d be ok for a few plays in the bowl game.

I have to believe that when the season started he was told that he’d be sat out for the year.

I don't find it hard at all to believe he was told he was sitting out all season. He tore his ACL during the 2021 season. Missing the 2022 season puts him at 13-14 months between injury and the end of the 2022 season. That isn't unreasonable at all.

Same will be true for Roberson. He will be cleared to some things in the spring, will do conditioning and drills over the summer and be cleared to do some more in the fall. But Sep 2023 is 12 months from his injury. Even with advances in modern medicine, 12 months from ACL to back on the field is impressive. Yes, everyone one of us will be able to Google some players who made it back in less than a year; it's possible and it happens. But it isn't a slam dunk 12 month return timeframe.

Reaction Score
Brady Allen just entered yesterday. There will be players jumping in until the last day.

Mora and Charlton continue to communicate with new players all the time.

Charlton recently started following Jason Brown, RS-SR and somehow alum of SCar. Transfered to VT last year and managed to get an extra year waiver for next year. This is a guy that may not come in to be a started but brings experience with big time SEC program and VT.

Charlton is still following Brin, Rogers, Calzada, Bachmeier, Bazelak.
Bachmeir been in a long time. I wonder if we have any real traction with him.

Reaction Score
Bachmeir been in a long time. I wonder if we have any real traction with him.
I don't think there is much there with him, guessing he is a 2nd tier west Coast QB. Now that most major transfers have landed he will find his. Don't think skipping out on this season really helped him.

Reaction Score
Not that this board ever has any influence (although we did hear HCJM once mention that they were gonna try to get the D to play tighter on receivers rather than the soft coverage they had employed thus far), but this QB discussion just seems like a topic that does not need in depth analysis. Getting into the minutiae of who is following whom. If ever there was a time to trust the staff, this is it. Especially this staff. It's what they do. A core competency if ever there was one. Yeah, I know, don't read it if you are not interested. But I am puzzled that so many are. I am definitely not a round ball guy, but UConn has a lot going on in those other sports not to mention the hockey teams. It's a helluva good time to be a UConn fan.

Reaction Score
I don't find it hard at all to believe he was told he was sitting out all season. He tore his ACL during the 2021 season. Missing the 2022 season puts him at 13-14 months between injury and the end of the 2022 season. That isn't unreasonable at all.

Same will be true for Roberson. He will be cleared to some things in the spring, will do conditioning and drills over the summer and be cleared to do some more in the fall. But Sep 2023 is 12 months from his injury. Even with advances in modern medicine, 12 months from ACL to back on the field is impressive. Yes, everyone one of us will be able to Google some players who made it back in less than a year; it's possible and it happens. But it isn't a slam dunk 12 month return timeframe.
Lundt made it back FWIW

Reaction Score
Not that this board ever has any influence (although we did hear HCJM once mention that they were gonna try to get the D to play tighter on receivers rather than the soft coverage they had employed thus far), but this QB discussion just seems like a topic that does not need in depth analysis. Getting into the minutiae of who is following whom. If ever there was a time to trust the staff, this is it. Especially this staff. It's what they do. A core competency if ever there was one. Yeah, I know, don't read it if you are not interested. But I am puzzled that so many are. I am definitely not a round ball guy, but UConn has a lot going on in those other sports not to mention the hockey teams. It's a helluva good time to be a UConn fan.

If our coaches are following them then there is a safe bet that we are at least attempting to recruit them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom