2023 Home Opener vs NC State moved to Thursday Nite (8/31/23) | The Boneyard

2023 Home Opener vs NC State moved to Thursday Nite (8/31/23)

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Winning that one makes a huge statement!
Given the 30 point MOV for them from last year, I'd say so. We should be a dramatically improved team compared to the start of last season. This game is a nice measuring stick for us.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Now we can have the same debate we've had since we opened the Rent from those who would prefer that we open the Saturday of Labor Day weekend. Sigh.

Love the Thursday night game leading in to Labor Day weekend. Especially if UConn wins. All the fans watching their teams play over the weekend will see UConn's score on the chyron all weekend long. Plus all the pregame and halftime shows will talk about it since there aren't many games already played.

Reaction Score
Love the Thursday night game leading in to Labor Day weekend. Especially if UConn wins. All the fans watching their teams play over the weekend will see UConn's score on the chyron all weekend long. Plus all the pregame and halftime shows will talk about it since there aren't many games already played.
Chin I get your premise here but not the gambler you are this early. There is no guarantee we win and that could be a cold start on the chyron all weekend long. This also takes away from attendance and the tailgate as many workers are not able to arrive early or attend at all due to a weeknight game.
I respect what you have here but the schedule change has a couple less being able to attend in my crew. This as the school has just sent out discounts for season ticket holders to add seats. Mind boggling.

Reaction Score
why did they move the date?

Working with CBS Sports Network, UConn will move their 2023 season-opener against NC State from Saturday, September 2 to Thursday night, August 31 at Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field. Gametime for opening kickoff to be announced at a later date.”

Sure sounds like our broadcast partner made a request in the last remaining year of their media contract w/ the school.

Reaction Score
Chin I get your premise here but not the gambler you are this early. There is no guarantee we win and that could be a cold start on the chyron all weekend long. This also takes away from attendance and the tailgate as many workers are not able to arrive early or attend at all due to a weeknight game.
I respect what you have here but the schedule change has a couple less being able to attend in my crew. This as the school has just sent out discounts for season ticket holders to add seats. Mind boggling.
The excuse of working, can't make it, always bothers me. I'm sure there are people that MUST be at work, but with almost 4 months advance notice, do you think that the people that were really fans and really wanted to go to the game, could figure something out with their bosses. It's all in how you want to prioritize your life. I'm retired now, so I'm not in the same boat, but when I worked, there was never a game I didn't go to because I had to work instead. Sometimes people just look for excuses!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I always liked the opening Thursday game. Nice weather for a PM tailgate. I made sure I had the Friday off as soon as I could so I could start with a party than have the next 4 days off.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Sure sounds like our broadcast partner made a request in the last remaining year of their media contract w/ the school.
I can get behind making a reasonable accommodation for a good partner. The goodwill can't hurt.

Reaction Score
why did they move the date
The excuse of working, can't make it, always bothers me. I'm sure there are people that MUST be at work, but with almost 4 months advance notice, do you think that the people that were really fans and really wanted to go to the game, could figure something out with their bosses. It's all in how you want to prioritize your life. I'm retired now, so I'm not in the same boat, but when I worked, there was never a game I didn't go to because I had to work instead. Sometimes people just look for excuses!
I’m one of the people on both sides of this. I can rejigger my schedule any time and will be there when the ropes drop for tailgating regardless of time. Spouse is a teacher…cannot just figure something out with their boss…school is in session so cannot leave until it’s out. Will still make it to the game, just makes for logistical challenges. I am sure others have jobs that require them to be at work as well, even during the game

I am totally on board with the time though. A Thursday night game up against maybe 10 others vs a Saturday game against about 40 others makes for the potential for more eyeballs. Additionally, other than being at a game there is no way I am sitting in my house on the Saturday of labor day weekend watching tv.

Oh and the commenter about UConn students not being able to go out on a Thursday night during the first week of classes either has never heard of UConn before or has tongue firmly in cheek.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
NC State has Notre Dame @ home 9/9. Can't imagine their staff doesn't appreciate a couple of extra days of preparation/rest for that game.

Reaction Score
It makes sense to move the game to Thursday before Labor Day weekend. It's the last summer weekend of the year and I believe it makes it easier to attend the game on Thursday evening one a vast majority of us will be blowing off on Friday or have limited work schedule.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure our first Labor Day weekend game (2004, Middle Tennessee?) Was a Saturday and the ot questionably attended game in the first two years the Rent was open. The excuse was that as many had LD weekend plans, they skipped the game so most years after that the game was the Thursday before Labor Day weekend.

It isn't surprising that this game was moved and I'm not sure there is much of a downside. If we have a season or two with 35k + at every game we can then complain about something like this happening.

Reaction Score

Chastising people for not spending one of their few vacation days to go watch us get our butts kicked is a bad look.

Reaction Score
I'm disappointed that I'll be unable to attend opening day at the Rent since Thursday nights are the only nights I'm unavailable. Looks like I'll have to list those tickets on StubHub.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom