2022 verbal commit real or not? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2022 verbal commit real or not?

Reaction Score
You beat me to it, I was about ready to point that out as well. HG is terrible in many ways, it seemed like they had Carolyn listed as 5-10 for at least a year as well.
I saw that too and I was certain she was taller

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Thanks for highlighting verbally. We seem to forget this can change. I recall someone who had verballed Virginia Tech last year had a change of heart and they signed with a different school.

Not saying this will happen. But until it's signed, like my boss says, it's not a done deal.
It has happened in rare instances (Charli Collier), but not in THIS case. It's very rare for players to commit to UConn, then have second thoughts and back out. Ayanna has had plenty of time to listen to and embrace all of the "overtures" extended to her by all of the other top ranked programs across the country. Remember, she's had the benefit of counsel from her parents and coaches during that time. This WAS NOT not a decision made whimsically or in haste. Collier backed out because of the death of her father, and a hurricane that had recently had come through her home town which made her want to stay closer to family and home.

She's had plenty of time to weigh the positives and negatives of all the programs that peaked her interest. UConn won out. There were many reasons (some of which she articulated in her reveal) why she chose UConn. Those dynamics won't change between now and November of this year when she can formally sign her national letter of intent during the early signing period. I really like her game. She was the uncommitted player in that class that I wanted more than any other. She plays with the same sense of urgency that Aaliyah and Paige plays with. They appear to have a similar motor. Once she adjusts to play at this level, she's going to be a nightmare for opponents. I liken her game to that of NaLyssa Smith of Baylor.

Once you "publicly" verbal to a program, most coaches exercise some professional tact, and stop recruiting you, and focus on other players of interest still uncommitted. I would bet the farm right now that the thought of her decommitting won't even cross her mind, and she will sign her national letter of intent the first day of the signing period. The more she thinks about it (playing for Geno in a UConn uniform), the more excited she'll become. You can shift your concerns else where. Ayanna coming to UConn is a "done deal". ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It has happened in rare instances (Charli Collier), but not in THIS case. It's very rare for players to commit to UConn, then have second thoughts and back out. Ayanna has had plenty of time to listen to and embrace all of the "overtures" extended to her by all of the other top ranked programs across the country. Remember, she's had the benefit of counsel from her parents and coaches during that time. This WAS NOT not a decision made whimsically or in haste.

She's had plenty of time to weigh the positives and negatives of all the programs that peaked her interest. UConn won out. There were many reasons (some of which she articulated in her reveal) why she chose UConn. Those dynamics won't change between now and November of this year when she can sign her letter of intent during the early signing period. I really like her game. She plays with the same sense of urgency that Aaliyah and Paige plays with. They appear to have a similar motor. Once she adjusts to play at this level, she's going to be a nightmare for opponents. I liken her game to that of NaLyssa Smith of Baylor.

Once you "publicly" verbal to a program, most coaches exercise some professional tact, and stop recruiting you, and focus on other players of interest still uncommitted. I would bet the farm right now that the thought of her decommitting won't even cross her mind, and she will sign her LOI the first day of the signing period. The more she thinks about it (playing for Geno in a UConn uniform), the more excited she'll become. Ayanna coming to UConn is a "done deal". ;)
Why create drama??? She has ties to UCONN and expressed herself beautifully about committing to UCONN in the video announcing her pick to join UCONN....again she is committed....totally

Carnac

Reaction Score
Why create drama??? She has ties to UCONN and expressed herself beautifully about committing to UCONN in the video announcing her pick to join UCONN....again she is committed....totally
It's a slow news day. Some folks like to stir up stuff (and controversy) where there is none. Where there's smoke, there's fire. There's no smoke here. ;)

Reaction Score
It has happened in rare instances (Charli Collier), but not in THIS case. It's very rare for players to commit to UConn, then have second thoughts and back out. Ayanna has had plenty of time to listen to and embrace all of the "overtures" extended to her by all of the other top ranked programs across the country. Remember, she's had the benefit of counsel from her parents and coaches during that time. This WAS NOT not a decision made whimsically or in haste. Collier backed out because of the death of her father, and a hurricane that had recently had come through her home town which made her want to stay closer to family and home.

She's had plenty of time to weigh the positives and negatives of all the programs that peaked her interest. UConn won out. There were many reasons (some of which she articulated in her reveal) why she chose UConn. Those dynamics won't change between now and November of this year when she can formally sign her national letter of intent during the early signing period. I really like her game. She was the uncommitted player in that class that I wanted more than any other. She plays with the same sense of urgency that Aaliyah and Paige plays with. They appear to have a similar motor. Once she adjusts to play at this level, she's going to be a nightmare for opponents. I liken her game to that of NaLyssa Smith of Baylor.

Once you "publicly" verbal to a program, most coaches exercise some professional tact, and stop recruiting you, and focus on other players of interest still uncommitted. I would bet the farm right now that the thought of her decommitting won't even cross her mind, and she will sign her national letter of intent the first day of the signing period. The more she thinks about it (playing for Geno in a UConn uniform), the more excited she'll become. You can shift your concerns else where. Ayanna coming to UConn is a "done deal". ;)
I would agree however, my comment was in response to @CocoHusky's who noted that she committed verbally. It's not official until the NLI is signed which is no different than any contract in life. And in some cases, even when it has been signed and a player gets to the school they chose, things can change (see Delle Donne).

It's a slow news day. Some folks like to stir up stuff (and controversy) where there is none. Where there's smoke, there's fire. There's no smoke here. ;)
If this was being interpreted as drama, that was not the point or the intent of my posts. I don't believe there is any smoke as well.

I don't have any concerns of Ayanna changing her mind, nor do I care if she does as she would be entitled to. However, there isn't anything wrong with clarifying where things stand with respect to her commitment.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Just going to throw out there that it pays to read the recruit thread if you're interested in recruits.

Or an advanced search here would also lead you to this kind of info.
A+ You will get up to date recruiting info, more of it with stories, videos and opinions on the Boneyard recruiting thread than anywhere else I have seen. This thread is my eyes, ears and recruiting bible. I don't know how the super sleuths on this thread do it, how much time they spend gathering all this info but I salute them. Thanks for your time and effort, I appreciate you.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I would agree however, my comment was in response to @CocoHusky's who noted that she committed verbally. It's not official until the NLI is signed which is no different than any contract in life. And in some cases, even when it has been signed and a player gets to the school they chose, things can change (see Delle Donne).

If this was being interpreted as drama, that was not the point or the intent of my posts. I don't believe there is any smoke as well.

I don't have any concerns of Ayanna changing her mind, nor do I care if she does as she would be entitled to. However, there isn't anything wrong with clarifying where things stand with respect to her commitment.
My apologies. I did not see Coco's comment, nor was I aware that your comments were in response to his. It appeared to me to be a random comment. It's not my policy or preference to invite myself into other's two-way conversations/debates. Whatever differences two posters have is theirs, not mine, and I refuse get involved. I've got my own cross to bear.

All I saw was: "Thanks for highlighting verbally. We seem to forget this can change. I recall someone who had verballed Virginia Tech last year had a change of heart and they signed with a different school. Not saying this will happen. But until it's signed, like my boss says, it's not a done deal."

I respectfully disagree with the "we" in your narrative. I've been called out (and rightfully so) several times when I've erroneously used words or phrases in a post that were all inclusive. I would agree that SOME of us, or "A FEW OF US" may forget that verbals are not binding, and not worth the paper they're written on, or that a prospective recruit can in fact change their minds. To be honest, until I read your comment, the thought of her changing her mind had not entered mine.

The old timers here in the yard are fully and completely aware of that possibility and the dynamics of a recruit's verbal commitment. As I stated before, (and I'm not a gambling man) I would bet the farm she will honor her verbal, and sign her NLI to attend UConn on the first day of the early signing period.

I don't equate the former actions (de-commitments) of "other" recruits with Ayanna. In her case, the hook is in....deep!!! She's committed!! She's coming to UConn. If there's any doubt, watch the video of her post reveal Q&A again. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My apologies. I did not see Coco's comment, nor was I aware that your comments were in response to his. It appeared to me to be a random comment. It's not my policy or preference to invite myself into other's two-way conversations/debates. Whatever differences two posters have is theirs, not mine, and I refuse get involved. I've got my own cross to bear.

All I saw was: "Thanks for highlighting verbally. We seem to forget this can change. I recall someone who had verballed Virginia Tech last year had a change of heart and they signed with a different school. Not saying this will happen. But until it's signed, like my boss says, it's not a done deal."

I respectfully disagree with the "we" in your narrative. I've been called out (and rightfully so) several times when I've erroneously used words or phrases in a post that were all inclusive. I would agree that SOME of us, or "A FEW OF US" may forget that verbals are not binding, and not worth the paper they're written on, or that a prospective recruit can in fact change their minds. To be honest, until I read your comment, the thought of her changing her mind had not entered mine.

The old timers here in the yard are fully and completely aware of that possibility and the dynamics of a recruit's verbal commitment. As I stated before, (and I'm not a gambling man) I would bet the farm she will honor her verbal, and sign her NLI to attend UConn on the first day of the early signing period.

I don't equate the former actions (de-commitments) of "other" recruits with Ayanna. In her case, the hook is in....deep!!! She's committed!! She's coming to UConn. If there's any doubt, watch the video of her post reveal Q&A again. :)
And Delle Donne had other issues...family concerns....not sure at that time in her life what she wanted to do...and even in the WNBA she has her doubts whether to be or not to be
And in Ayanna Patterson You could feel the joy and desire to come to UCONN from her commitment video...

Reaction Score
Just going to throw out there that it pays to read the recruit thread if you're interested in recruits.

Or an advanced search here would also lead you to this kind of info.
The price is not cheap, basic price is $495/ year.

2021-04-15 (2).png

Reaction Score

I get where you're coming from. Apologies not necessary.

I can see how using "we" led you to your interpretation. Assuming I know the thoughts of the entire BY community in that context was wrong.

You're excited about her commitment. It's understandable the thought wouldn't come to mind.

Reaction Score
For class of 2022, all "commitments" are verbal. As noted above it's not official until the NLI is sent in, but that won't be for a while for any 2022 players. Premier Baskeball is just late in updating their list, or simply forgot (hey, we're all human). I tweeted at them to please update Ayanna.'s status with UConn, hopefully it'll be reflected shortly.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
For class of 2022, all "commitments" are verbal. As noted above it's not official until the NLI is sent in, but that won't be for a while for any 2022 players. Premier Baskeball is just late in updating their list, or simply forgot (hey, we're all human). I tweeted at them to please update Ayanna.'s status with UConn, hopefully it'll be reflected shortly.

I've more disappointed Prospects Nation didn't have an article on Patterson's commitment.

Reaction Score
I just wonder, with all the players entering the Transfer Protocol, with those Transfer Protocol players who have stated their choice of their next college team and with coaches who have switched or will soon switch college teams, will there be an unusual higher number of players who "change their minds" and choose another college team?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Patterson now listed as a UConn commit at ESPN.

OK, now that we’ve settled that, let’s add KiKi & KK and call it a day.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom