2022 UConn QB Competition Discussion... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2022 UConn QB Competition Discussion...

Reaction Score
Something interesting to look like:

Former Syracuse QB and CT resident has UConn on his Instagram Bio.

Announced on 03/21 that he entering the transfer portal after spending two season at Cuse.

Does anyone have any intel on this?

David Summers
Interesting… Nothing on Twitter profile.

David Summers

Reaction Score
We need some upgrades on the line but I’m also thinking better coaching might help the guys we have to perform At a higher level too
Our quarterbacks were basically teaching themselves while Moysenko was here. He was just a yes man for Edsall. All the QB’s will benefit with him gone.

Reaction Score
I like the way he stays on balance. Most of his throws our arm strength. He really doesn’t seem to step into them at all. I’m guessing he was an infielder when he played baseball. Kind a looks like a short stop the way he throws. I feel like he will be able to get a lot of throws off under pressure because of that quick release.
Maybe we could use that receiver too.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
This will play out in the spring and until then none of us have a clue.

Roberson comes in the high rating and while he was toasted at Iowa, so were many other quarterbacks this year.

Millen has very good blood lines. Without knowing the offense who knows what he can do.

Steven is known and had a terrible surrounding cast as we know. What can he do in another offense, my guess we will know by September.

I would redshirt Tyler and get him back to a 100% and stronger

Reaction Score

Roberson comes in the high rating and while he was toasted at Iowa, so were many other quarterbacks this year.

Millen has very good blood lines. Without knowing the offense who knows what he can do.

Steven is known and had a terrible surrounding cast as we know. What can he do in another offense, my guess we will know by September.

Phommachanh redshirted last year and will enter this season as a r-Fr

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This is about as close as one can get to picking 5 random people from the parking lot and asking which of them would be the best QB.

None of these guys can lay claim to having the best resume. On paper (their full record, not the recruiting hype), these guys all have major red flags. I can make a stong case for none of the above and we need to keep looking at the portal.

1. Inaccurate, overwhelmed
2. Injured easily
3. Beat out by a true freshman for the #2
4. Buried on an FCS roster
5. Buried on 1-11 team with no QB

I can't even say we have 5 hungry guys looking to compete because none of them really have to date as they were all benched for a majority of the season and all of them signed on to what is probably the least competitive starting job in FBS on the least competitive team in FBS over the last 5 years.

Chances are any starting QB in the MAC can come here and waltz into the job.

IMO we have a free for all. I only hope the winner doesn't get the job by default, which has heen the case since Whitmer graduated.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Sadly, I think they are all even at the start. None have proven they can play at the required level and each has the opportunity to change that. Given that fact, can anyone really tell them apart.

QB A: Failed to win at the FBS level
QB B: Failed to win at the FBS level
QB C: Failed to win at the FBS level
QB D: Failed to win at the FBS level

Same goes for Failed to top the depth chart for more than a week (except the current guy).
Yeah, the new guys were recruited by top programs and were then buried on the depth chart and forced to transfer and the old guys couldn't hack it on a 1-11 team for a full season.

People hoping for a savior need to realize Mora is buying low in the marketplace and hoping for a miracle. Or in other words, he's Yolo'ing on a potential meme stock.

Listen in the case of Steve he had no Oline to speak of so won’t count him as a fail. I don’t think he starts though. Our offense was historically bad and it starts up front. Our oline will be significantly better next year. We have receivers and I think some good TE prospects to help with blocking and catching to keep the offense honest. We can no longer look thought the lens of last year because between talent upgrade and coaching we are in a completely different spot.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Listen in the case of Steve he had no Oline to speak of so won’t count him as a fail. I don’t think he starts though. Our offense was historically bad and it starts up front. Our oline will be significantly better next year. We have receivers and I think some good TE prospects to help with blocking and catching to keep the offense honest. We can no longer look thought the lens of last year because between talent upgrade and coaching we are in a completely different spot.

He had enough time on most plays. The OL was horribly bad at run blocking but was more than adequate pass blocking.

Whether it was not knowong where to go with the ball, being too slow or making the wrong read, Idk. I do know that the balls he threw were not where they needed to he. You can point to coaching as it was a problem position wide or you can point to the individuals taking the snap, Idk thst either, but I know the results I saw.

If the OL was the problem then we should cancel the season because we won't be that much better there and we might end up worse.

Reaction Score
Are the receivers including the ones that didn’t play last year great? I don’t think they are above average. Some made some good catches but that is what they are supposed to do.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
This is about as close as one can get to picking 5 random people from the parking lot and asking which of them would be the best QB.

None of these guys can lay claim to having the best resume. On paper (their full record, not the recruiting hype), these guys all have major red flags. I can make a stong case for none of the above and we need to keep looking at the portal.

2. Injured easily

I can't even say we have 5 hungry guys looking to compete because none of them really have to date as they were all benched for a majority of the season and all of them signed on to what is probably the least competitive starting job in FBS on the least competitive team in FBS over the last 5 years.

IMO we have a free for all. I only hope the winner doesn't get the job by default, which has heen the case since Whitmer graduated.
Thank G-d you are giving each guy a clean slate in a brand-new environment.

There is a reason coaches look at film and say unless you know what the team was running, it is just a scouting tape.

It ultimately comes down to what and who fits what we run offensively. The key here is potential and projecting and that is up to Charlton and Mora to determine. I don't think either qb was a charity case and if anything, picking up a New Jersey qb will help in recruiting that state in the future.

Finally, we have seen bowl season so many QB's who left a situation that wasn't good for them and break out at their next stop. Who's saying that won't happen here?

Reaction Score

2. Injured easily

DISAGREE

Reaction Score

This is absolutely the most logical post in this thread. The best news is no matter who the QB is we will be better in 22’. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Correct ne if I'm wrong but Tyler was a freshman thrown into a situation with a terrible coach terrible offensive coordinator and a mediocre offensive line and while he provided a spark at times but was inconsistent we're ready to judge that he can't play the position.
It’s an insult to all mediocre Offensive Lines.

Having said that and I have this before. We had 50 true freshmen and 20 sophomores. Would expect kids got game experience and will improve.

No way to evaluate this team or Tyler. These kids deserve a break. They played hard and never quit. Thanks Spanos.

Reaction Score

2. Injured easily

On #2, I think you're jumping to a harsh conclusion because any player can get hurt on any play and this is Tyler's first injury playing FBS football. Pump the brakes.

On #5, you've got Roberson confused with someone else.

Reaction Score
I'm saying this. No matter what, Steven Krajewski got a raw deal from FHCRE. I'm not sure if he would been better, however, Steven Krajewski is a team player. Jack Zergiotis beat him for the starting job? Did he told RE to F off, was that why he never started?

Now, whatever happens, I think our future is going to be on the upswing. We have a QB controversy and it feels great.

Now, to get a few more O line players...

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
LOL, at everyone already assuring themselves they will be mad becuase one of the few things I can guarantee is that whomever wins the starting job is going to have some rough stretches.

The point is that everyone should have a clean slate and that we will have zero idea if Mora picks the right guy or even if any of them will ve serviceable.

We seem to have done a decent job adding a few new options by having Mora here, but we are still a long way from solving our QB problem.

That some prefer to ignore recent history on all these guys is pollyanish. We should better at the position one way or another. We'll see if it's good enough to win games. I think that is still the point of all this.

Reaction Score
For whatever reason watching a walk-on freshman for Utah have to come in during crunch time, made me think of the following:

The back-up to our best QB in recent memory David Pindel, was highly thought of (at least football wise) Marvin Washington who I believe threw a TD on his first ever collegiate pass and who RE/Laslee got to flip from FAU and who originally signed with UCF. His departure left a massive hole in the QB room, that undoubtedly made the last few years worse then they had to be, but ironically 2 or 3 extra wins the last couple of years and we most likely are not seeing the massive revamp of the program that we are.

In case anyone is wondering (as I was) apparently that was it for him, he never did transfer to another school. That's too bad.

I spoke with Edsall at an alumni event a few years back and he said he was talented, but he needed to get his act together.

Reaction Score
For whatever reason watching a walk-on freshman for Utah have to come in during crunch time, made me think of the following:

The back-up to our best QB in recent memory David Pindel, was highly thought of (at least football wise) Marvin Washington who I believe threw a TD on his first ever collegiate pass and who RE/Laslee got to flip from FAU and who originally signed with UCF. His departure left a massive hole in the QB room, that undoubtedly made the last few years worse then they had to be, but ironically 2 or 3 extra wins the last couple of years and we most likely are not seeing the massive revamp of the program that we are.

In case anyone is wondering (as I was) apparently that was it for him, he never did transfer to another school. That's too bad.

I spoke with Edsall at an alumni event a few years back and he said he was talented, but he needed to get his act together.
Washington tried the JUCO route after UConn @ Independence C.C. (of Last Chance U fame @ the time) then Garden City C.C. and never made it out.

Reaction Score
Washington tried the JUCO route after UConn @ Independence C.C. (of Last Chance U fame @ the time) then Garden City C.C. and never made it out.
I don't remember that name at all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom