2022 UConn QB Competition Discussion... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2022 UConn QB Competition Discussion...

Reaction Score
and Roberson looked like garbage in the one game he was able to play in. PSU fans say he was happy to hold a clipboard.

We know nothing. I won't be surprised by anyone ending up as the starter.
The starter next year might be in the transfer portal or not yet in the portal or someone who will sign in February. Whomever it might be, I hope they will lead us to a Top 50/ also receiving votes in the poll!

Reaction Score
Purdue is starting a QB who originally committed to D3 Wheaton College and was eighth on the depth chart when he arrived at Purdue. Just saying.
8th on the depth chart? we had only 4 (at best).. says a lot

Reaction Score
The thing is that you really don‘t know how these guys might turn out. There is the kid at Purdue, I guess. There is the kid at Liberty who was buried on the Auburn depth chart, came to Liberty and is now one of the top quarterback prospects in the upcoming NFL draft. He couldn’t even get a look at Auburn. There was Boroughs of course. Guys get to some of these places and might never get much of a look because the school already has a guy, or maybe even a couple of guys. And quarterback is different than almost any other position in that coaches are less likely to take a chance if they have a guy they think is good enough. You replace the left guard and the new guy doesn’t get it done, most people don’t even know the difference. You replace your starting quarterback and the replacement better be a major upgrade or you will be looking for a new gig come December.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Which QB?
Aiden O’Connell is the QB and his position as 8th QB on the depth chart when he arrived as a walk on freshman is per ESPN during the start of todays bowl telecast.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The thing is that you really don‘t know how these guys might turn out. There is the kid at Purdue, I guess. There is the kid at Liberty who was buried on the Auburn depth chart, came to Liberty and is now one of the top quarterback prospects in the upcoming NFL draft. He couldn’t even get a look at Auburn. There was Boroughs of course. Guys get to some of these places and might never get much of a look because the school already has a guy, or maybe even a couple of guys. And quarterback is different than almost any other position in that coaches are less likely to take a chance if they have a guy they think is good enough. You replace the left guard and the new guy doesn’t get it done, most people don’t even know the difference. You replace your starting quarterback and the replacement better be a major upgrade or you will be looking for a new gig come December.
The reality is that practice doesn’t always paint a clear picture of who is best and at the QB position it’s further complicated by the fact QBs perform different in real game situations - some improve and some wilt.

Plus the mental maturation for a QB is significant. The decision making - the leadership - the schematic understanding- it’s all a process. Thing is you got to start with kids that are physically capable and both Millen and Roberson fit the bill. I think Tyler Phommachanh’s injury was significant and should be a sponge in 2022 and plan to play again in 2023.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
How the hell is Purdue down to their 8th stringer?
Ha - they aren’t- he rose through the depth chart over the course of three prior seasons. You know that….

Reaction Score
Aiden O’Connell is the QB and his position as 8th QB on the depth chart when he arrived as a walk on freshman is per ESPN during the start of todays bowl telecast.

Interesting. I remember Plummer toying with our defense this year and then O'Connell coming in during the second half and I'm sitting there thinking damn not much drop-off from QB1 to QB2.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This whole thing is hilarious.....we have been complaining for years that our QB situation has been a mess. Mora brings in two highly rated transfers from the portal, things we were begging RE to have done, and we are arguing about if they even should be starting over a QB who was a true frosh, started 2 games, tore his ACL, had a 48% completion rate with a 1-2 TD/INT, and is likely out for most, if not all, of 2022. SMH.....Who cares why Millen or Roberson left their respective schools. They were highly rated recruits who didn't have enough time to show what they have. With new coach and a new lease on life, I think we will be very happy to have them both. Add in Steven Krajewski and a new coach to aid his development. I don't know why we are possibly having any conversation about why these two QBs are not upgrades.....

Only on the Boneyard
THANK YOU!!!

100% this! The Boneyard has reached a new level of crazy. This post above should be mandatory reading...

Reaction Score
Ridiculous. This place sometimes.

There is a zero percent chance of this very talented and very smart true freshman QB being moved to WR. Zero percent. Take it to the bank.
We you even watching the same games we were watching?? He has an NAIA arm, yet your correct about the move to WR...he doenst have the wheels. With that said...
Millen and Robertson will battle it out...i believe Millen wins out..is pretty athletic with strong arm..can make all the throws. Krajewski fights for playing time

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I don't know why we are possibly having any conversation about why these two QBs are not upgrades.....
We are. But we were a legit team with Tyler Phommachanh as QB until he got hurt. He played on the worst team in FBS (us, arguably) and single handedly kept us in games. We are getting players from the portal who have played in games and have been…..meh…..

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
We are. But we were a legit team with Tyler Phommachanh as QB until he got hurt. He played on the worst team in FBS (us, arguably) and single handedly kept us in games. We are getting players from the portal who have played in games and have been…..meh…..
Lol! They have played in games? Roberson played a little over a half of a game against Iowa. Not sure how much game time Millen had. So I don't know how you can even say they were "meh". I simply don't understand many of you that think half a football game against a top team is worth writing a kid off on. Then you all wanna sit here and write off Millen because he couldn't start at NAU. However, Tyler Phommachanh started two games and we looked like a real team so forget the rest of them.

You are all basing Tyler Phommachanh on two games, TWO. Many are claiming he's the answer and we should question these new kids. Yet how many games are you basing your judgement off of for Roberson and Millen? I believe the answer is half a game for Roberson and not sure if any for Millen?? You can't have it both ways.

If anyone told us two years ago that we'd be getting two QBs from the portal, one a backup QB from PSU with 3yrs of eligibility and another, who was a top rated HS recruit, from Oregon via NAU, in 2021, we'd be dancing for joy and not believing our luck. Yet here we are and people are complaining and claiming these kids are not good or that we have a better option already on our roster....god I love/hate this place so much!

Reaction Score
We you even watching the same games we were watching?? He has an NAIA arm,

You're crazy, his arm is every bit as strong and probably stronger than Shirreffs and Tyler Lorenzen and both were very successful at UCONN. You don't need to be Dan Marino when you can run like Lorenzen, Shirreffs, and Tyler Phommachanh.

BTW, personally I don't give a darn who the QB is next year or the next three years. Let the best man win. I'm only responding to the nonsense that Tyler Phommachanh doesn't have the talent to win the job and be successful here. That's crazy talk and total nonsense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tyler P and the Bristol GATORADE both at receiving positions and a QB who can throw and run sounds like a winning combination for Mora.
Turn the program around in 1 year.

Reaction Score
You're crazy, his arm is every bit as strong and probably stronger than Shirreffs and Tyler Lorenzen and both were very successful at UCONN. You don't need to be Dan Marino when you can run like Lorenzen, Shirreffs, and Tyler Phommachanh.

BTW, personally I don't give a darn who the QB is next year or the next three years. Let the best man win. I'm only responding to the nonsense that Tyler Phommachanh doesn't have the talent to win the job and be successful here. That's crazy talk and total nonsense.
...and im only responding to your comments on him and his talents, which i totally disagree with..we are entitled to our own thoughts...thats what this forum is all about. Shirreffs (was a baller) and Lorenzen had much stronger arms. Tyler Phommachanh was only a freshman, lets see how his arm progresses as he matures..right now i just dont see it. Look at video a bit down. Robertson has a fairly decent arm...but can he get to his second and third reads. I only want whats best for team..to win. Go Yankees

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

I like the way he stays on balance. Most of his throws our arm strength. He really doesn’t seem to step into them at all. I’m guessing he was an infielder when he played baseball. Kind a looks like a short stop the way he throws. I feel like he will be able to get a lot of throws off under pressure because of that quick release.

Reaction Score
Something interesting to look like:

Former Syracuse QB and CT resident has UConn on his Instagram Bio.

Announced on 03/21 that he entering the transfer portal after spending two season at Cuse.

Does anyone have any intel on this?

David Summers

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom