2022 UConn QB Competition Discussion... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2022 UConn QB Competition Discussion...

Reaction Score
I know nothing about Jacob Drena except his senior year high school stats. don't look that bad. But, still he was the 14th ranked QB from CT so maybe he's no future Orlovsky, either.

Anyone ever see him play in high school?

View attachment 72150

wowow ... good numbers

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what you're struggling with here. Roberson wasn't good enough for Penn State, and the one game he played against Iowa he sucked. That doesn't mean he's not good enough to play here. Millen being buried behind RJ Martinez, Jeff Widener, and Niko Haen at NAU is dramatically worse than not being good enough for Penn State.

I guess you need context. Injuries etc. Do you just start pissing on kids ... or do you walk to the bathroom first.

Reaction Score
I know nothing about Jacob Drena except his senior year high school stats. don't look that bad. But, still he was the 14th ranked QB from CT so maybe he's no future Orlovsky, either.

Anyone ever see him play in high school?
I did. 2x. Very good HS QB. I don't know that i could offer any more than that.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what you're struggling with here. Roberson wasn't good enough for Penn State, and the one game he played against Iowa he sucked. That doesn't mean he's not good enough to play here. Millen being buried behind RJ Martinez, Jeff Widener, and Niko Haen at NAU is dramatically worse than not being good enough for Penn State.
:rolleyes: I never said he wasn't good enough to play here. If you could read at a fifth grade level then you'd understand the point I'm making. It's very clear.

Reaction Score
Just guessing.
1. Millen
2. Roberson
3. Krajewski
4. Drena
Phommachahn moves to wide out.
I think Millen and Roberson will compete for #1. Millen wins is my gut feeling. I get the feeling he has a bit of Casey Cochran in him. Tyler P doesn’t throw the ball well enough to play the position at this level. Krajewski doesnt run well enough.
If Tyler’s brother comes here, I wonder how he changes the equation?

Reaction Score
If Tyler’s brother comes here, I wonder how he changes the equation?

He’s not coming here…

-> Despite his roots, Phommachanh doesn’t appear interested in returning home to play for UConn. According to his father, Phommachanh would prefer to avoid competing with his brother, Tyler, who is recovering from a torn ACL and LCL in his left knee.

“He feels that’ll be like slapping Tyler in the face,” Sam said. <-

Reaction Score
NAU had better QB play than UConn by far and everyone we have currently was buried on our depth chart to start the season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I can't see him coming to Storrs unless he was promised something
A chance to compete for the starting QB spot?

Reaction Score
Nobody is suggesting that. But based on the minimal info we have, we are all basically guessing how it will turn out. The only thing we do know for certain is that whoever the starter is, palatine will insist that the backup is better.
How should I interpret this then "I can't see him coming to Storrs unless he was promised something".
Ok, what do you think he's implying the "something" is?

Reaction Score
He’s not coming here…

-> Despite his roots, Phommachanh doesn’t appear interested in returning home to play for UConn. According to his father, Phommachanh would prefer to avoid competing with his brother, Tyler, who is recovering from a torn ACL and LCL in his left knee.

“He feels that’ll be like slapping Tyler in the face,” Sam said. <-
I know, I read the same article. I don’t think Tyler will remain a QB under Mora, he’s athletic enough to play other offensive positions. That changes everything for Taisun and his father, it actually might enhance the chances of Taisun coming here. Not saying your article is wrong, just saying things can change.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sadly, I think they are all even at the start. None have proven they can play at the required level and each has the opportunity to change that. Given that fact, can anyone really tell them apart.

QB A: Failed to win at the FBS level
QB B: Failed to win at the FBS level
QB C: Failed to win at the FBS level
QB D: Failed to win at the FBS level

Same goes for Failed to top the depth chart for more than a week (except the current guy).
Yeah, the new guys were recruited by top programs and were then buried on the depth chart and forced to transfer and the old guys couldn't hack it on a 1-11 team for a full season.

People hoping for a savior need to realize Mora is buying low in the marketplace and hoping for a miracle. Or in other words, he's Yolo'ing on a potential meme stock.
Well, some people were smart when they bought Apple stock low and same for IBM, many moons ago.

Not so sure here we have the QB equivalent of those stocks. Maybe the equivalents of penny stocks but hope not.

Let them compete and we'll see what we have.

Reaction Score
Casey didn’t do well right away. He was third string at a struggling UCONN most of the time.

Reaction Score
Millen has proven he couldn't get reps for Northern Arizona. That seems a bit more damning than anyone else's resume.
Apparently the fact that he missed his freshman year at Oregon due to a right shoulder injury, which likely was still affecting him last year is completely lost on you. Most of us have never seen him play, but I'll trust the coaches evaluation of his ability over yours. Coming out of high school he was the no. 6 rated pro style qb in the country.

You seem to be gleefully ready to trash these kids without seeing them perform.

Reaction Score
They have a lot of talent at the position with options. It’s up to the staff to take that talent and make it work. If Puma and Steven Krajewski move down to 3 and 4, there will be 2 very pissed-off huskies. I love the pick ups opportunistically speaking, but getting a real OL would probably have been job 1 and the result is 2 guys that could perform. I don’t think we get Roberson unless they are selling him on a real shot to get the No. 1 spot.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
They have a lot of talent at the position with options. It’s up to the staff to take that talent and make it work. If Puma and Steven Krajewski move down to 3 and 4, there will be 2 very pissed-off huskies. I love the pick ups opportunistically speaking, but getting a real OL would probably have been job 1 and the result is 2 guys that could perform. I don’t think we get Roberson unless they are selling him on a real shot to get the No. 1 spot.
They should sell every recruit and every player on the roster that they have a shot to get the no. 1 spot. This isn’t about keeping players happy. It’s about winning.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Eye test?
We are/were way better with Tyler Phommachanh at QB. Competitive, and we nearly took Wyoming to OT.
If he is healthy he is our 1. Most here believe he won’t be available at the start, or may even red shirt, so they put him down the list. Steven Krajewski is 4 even without seeing the 2 transfers, because of seeing him play.

Reaction Score
I guess you need context. Injuries etc. Do you just start pissing on kids ... or do you walk to the bathroom first.

If your argument made any sense you wouldn't have to lie about what I'm saying and doing.

Reaction Score
Eye test?
We are/were way better with Tyler Phommachanh at QB. Competitive, and we nearly took Wyoming to OT.

I agree, some here have a hard time remembering three months ago. We became a competitive team with Tyler Phommachanh at QB. Came real close to upsetting Wyoming when we were a 30 point dog. Vanderbilt was going down if he didn't get injured. The idea that he can't pass the ball is utter nonsense. He's got a strong arm that needs refinement, most freshman QB's need refinement.

and I bet Jim Mora (who coached Michael Vick in the NFL) has a strong appreciation for QB's who can run. Just a hunch.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
This whole thing is hilarious.....we have been complaining for years that our QB situation has been a mess. Mora brings in two highly rated transfers from the portal, things we were begging RE to have done, and we are arguing about if they even should be starting over a QB who was a true frosh, started 2 games, tore his ACL, had a 48% completion rate with a 1-2 TD/INT, and is likely out for most, if not all, of 2022. SMH.....Who cares why Millen or Roberson left their respective schools. They were highly rated recruits who didn't have enough time to show what they have. With new coach and a new lease on life, I think we will be very happy to have them both. Add in Steven Krajewski and a new coach to aid his development. I don't know why we are possibly having any conversation about why these two QBs are not upgrades.....

Only on the Boneyard

Reaction Score
If your argument made any sense you wouldn't have to lie about what I'm saying and doing.
I can't fathom why you think it is ok to piss/diminish kids - with obvious talent - sight unseen. I could care less what you think is sensible. WE have improved our Quarterback situation by quite a bit. 4 competitors. Go ahead and be that ugly relative.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Not sure how people are guessing Millen. He couldn't get reps for Northern Arizona last year. Maybe he gets it together, but that certainly isn't promising.

Is he even allowed to play?

This is his second transfer.

Has anyone heard anything on that issue? Or did I just miss it in these threads?

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom