2022 UConn QB Competition Discussion... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2022 UConn QB Competition Discussion...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It really depends on the type of offense Mora decides to run.

The bottom of page one finally produces a sensible answer. I'll take it one further, the offense they decide to run is going to depend on what they heck they have to work with on that side of ball. At OL, RB, WR, TE not just QB. I doubt any of the staff have any confidence in announcing who will win the job at this point, yet people here seemingly do.

Mora to the QB room
the lord of the rings GIF

Reaction Score
I know nothing about Jacob Drena except his senior year high school stats. don't look that bad. But, still he was the 14th ranked QB from CT so maybe he's no future Orlovsky, either.

Anyone ever see him play in high school?

1640814427721.png

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
While he didnt start at PSU, he is the highest rated of any of the current UConn QBs and I can't see him coming to Storrs unless he was promised something - I feel it's Roberson with Millen as back-up. Steve K, if he wants to stay is in 3rd place and Tyler won't be ready until 2023 if he wants to hang around

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
While he didnt start at PSU, he is the highest rated of any of the current UConn QBs and I can't see him coming to Storrs unless he was promised something - I feel it's Roberson with Millen as back-up. Steve K, if he wants to stay is in 3rd place and Tyler won't be ready until 2023 if he wants to hang around
A fair shot at starting.

Reaction Score
The modern game is about mobility in the backfield (e.g. QB) and the ability for receivers to run tight, short patterns and create YAC. At this point, I think it's Roberson and a receiving corps with receivers and TE's that are best in said modern system. Hopefully the WR's coming back from injury and a newbie (i.e. Rosa in the slot) and a new TE can make it happen. We shall see.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Mora has said...he prefers dual threat quarterbacks. And he prefers a thrower who can run over a runner who can throw.

Knowing this...I am not that sure any of the QBs perfectly fit this model. Unless....Millen is more of a runner than we know? As I said in another thread..he was listed as Pro Style coming out of high school. That might might not be accurate . If he is dual threat...that may give him the inside track.

It feels like Roberson is most likely a better version of Tyler P. Good wheels.. adequate at best arm. Krajewski is adequate at both throwing and running...but doesn't excel at either in my opinion.

Unless we hear Millen can run more..I think Roberson would have the inside track. Especially with a shaky offensive line.

He played on special teams at Oregon while holding down the clipboard. Unless he was injured or gained 40 lbs, I think he can run. The first thing I want to hear from Mora is for these guys to get on campus, learn the offense and compete for the job. First one to convince him that he can play for a winning FBS program, gets named the starter. None of this waiting to give everyone a chance. Turn up the pressure on day 1 and see who responds.

Whoever gets the job will be hated by half the fans on the first three and out, they need to be tough.

Reaction Score
I can see he would be promised a fair chance to win the job, the WR core will be good, Mora is getting after the OL, the offense will be opened up to take advantage of QB talent.

Are you implying something other than that, more specific to this kid's playing time or place on the pre-practice pecking order? That would be a sure way to team destroying, hoping Mora is too smart/principled for that.

Now not saying Mora can't or doesn't think this kid is head and shoulders above any other QB candidate, just that he wouldn't let it be known to anyone other than the coaches (as they throw around other portal QB options, what offense to run, etc.).

Reaction Score
Worst analysis ever. Clueless is the word that comes to mind.
Nope. Yours is. I at least gave you a reason for mine. I don’t think he is a very good passer. And run first quarterbacks have a pretty limited upside unless it is at a service academy. He is a good athlete who needs to be on the field but I don’t see him as a quarterback at this level. He was under 50% passing and never got close to 150 years. Mediocre QBs hit close to 60%. Just the way the game is played today. 12 of the top 100 highest ranked quarterbacks hit under 60%. None were under 50%.

Reaction Score
I can see he would be promised a fair chance to win the job, the WR core will be good, Mora is getting after the OL, the offense will be opened up to take advantage of QB talent.

Are you implying something other than that, more specific to this kid's playing time or place on the pre-practice pecking order? That would be a sure way to team destroying, hoping Mora is too smart/principled for that.

Now not saying Mora can't or doesn't think this kid is head and shoulders above any other QB candidate, just that he wouldn't let it be known to anyone other than the coaches (as they throw around other portal QB options, what offense to run, etc.).
Nobody is suggesting that. But based on the minimal info we have, we are all basically guessing how it will turn out. The only thing we do know for certain is that whoever the starter is, palatine will insist that the backup is better.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
You need five QBs to run a smooth practice. This looks like the most talented group we have had in a long time. So there should be benefits across the board with our RBs. TEs and WRs.

Who will run the show? Well... if you tell me who will be healthy, who can go through progressions the fastest, who is the most coachable, who is the most confident, who responds to adversity, who is cool under pressure, who is the best leader, then I will tell you the starter.
I thought for you it was just whover the coach didn't pick?

;)

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Not sure how people are guessing Millen. He couldn't get reps for Northern Arizona last year. Maybe he gets it together, but that certainly isn't promising.

Sadly, I think they are all even at the start. None have proven they can play at the required level and each has the opportunity to change that. Given that fact, can anyone really tell them apart.

QB A: Failed to win at the FBS level
QB B: Failed to win at the FBS level
QB C: Failed to win at the FBS level
QB D: Failed to win at the FBS level

Same goes for Failed to top the depth chart for more than a week (except the current guy).
Yeah, the new guys were recruited by top programs and were then buried on the depth chart and forced to transfer and the old guys couldn't hack it on a 1-11 team for a full season.

People hoping for a savior need to realize Mora is buying low in the marketplace and hoping for a miracle. Or in other words, he's Yolo'ing on a potential meme stock.

Reaction Score
1- Roberson
2- Millen
3- Krajewski (Until Phommachanh returns)
4- Drena (Steve K when Phommachanh comes back)
5- Drena when Phommachanh comes back

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Lot of strong opinions here. These are two best QB prospects we have had in a decade judging by the HS offers and HS production. Both Millen and Roberson give us the most we have had to work with in a very long time. Both have had muted starts to their college careers which is typical for many QB prospects given the nature of the position. I don’t put too much stock in the prior two years. Their HS tapes show a lot of upside. I look forward to seeing who manages to take to the Mora- Charlton system this spring and goes from there. I think Roberson has the inside track given he is a NJ guy, but then again Mora has a connection with Millen’s father. I really think Mora wants to see both get on the field this fall.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure who'll be the QB in the fall, but I just hope Steven Krajewski will get coaching and maybe he'll win the position, what we need is an OL that isn't offensive! If we have an OL that will block, maybe we can have long passes and a running game. If not, even Tom Brady couldn't win a game here!

Reaction Score
idk how anyone is choosing anyone. No one on the roster has proven anything yet.
Millen has proven he couldn't get reps for Northern Arizona. That seems a bit more damning than anyone else's resume.

Reaction Score
Millen has proven he couldn't get reps for Northern Arizona. That seems a bit more damning than anyone else's resume.
and Roberson looked like garbage in the one game he was able to play in. PSU fans say he was happy to hold a clipboard.

We know nothing. I won't be surprised by anyone ending up as the starter.

Reaction Score
and Roberson looked like garbage in the one game he was able to play in. PSU fans say he was happy to hold a clipboard.

We know nothing. I won't be surprised by anyone ending up as the starter.

I'm not sure what you're struggling with here. Roberson wasn't good enough for Penn State, and the one game he played against Iowa he sucked. That doesn't mean he's not good enough to play here. Millen being buried behind RJ Martinez, Jeff Widener, and Niko Haen at NAU is dramatically worse than not being good enough for Penn State.

Reaction Score
I think if it’s close
Steven Krajewski get nod due to exp but on a short leash. If he can play like he did against vandy and first half of Houston and the game game and ucf his soph year he gets it. But too many mistakes or poor reads they switch it up

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom