2022 UConn Football Commit - Tres Barboza (Castroville, Texas) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2022 UConn Football Commit - Tres Barboza (Castroville, Texas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I understand your point, but what I am focused on is the complete overhaul and upgrade to the program. Minor things like graphics won’t win games, but acting like a 21st century FBS program in all respects is all part of the equation. It’s new here, but it’s one of many signals that we are not going quietly into that deep dark night.

the real question I have is he better than what we have? The fact that he played on a bowl team suggests he should be.
To be clear, having better graphic designs is fine. It can't hurt. (Although I'm not convinced I wouldn't have preferred spending more on assistant coaches and less on this world of support personnel.) And I'm happy he signed. Any time someone accepts an offer it means he got an offer, which means the coaches think he can help, so I'm for it.

I just found it amazing that before we had a discussion on whether the guy was likely to be good enough to step in and start for us, we were commenting on the graphics. But that's just me, and I'm a dinosaur.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Hope he is healthy enough to make a difference but, this fits the profile of what we need.

Reaction Score
Great addition. UTEP was 7-6 last season and lost to Fresno St by 1 touchdown, so if his playing time was limited it's probably due to superior competition. I doubt any of our o-line would have started at UTEP. Who are we to criticize a 6-4 320lb athlete from a better program?

Reaction Score
To be clear, having better graphic designs is fine. It can't hurt. (Although I'm not convinced I wouldn't have preferred spending more on assistant coaches and less on this world of support personnel.) And I'm happy he signed. Any time someone accepts an offer it means he got an offer, which means the coaches think he can help, so I'm for it.

I just found it amazing that before we had a discussion on whether the guy was likely to be good enough to step in and start for us, we were commenting on the graphics. But that's just me, and I'm a dinosaur.

Not a bad point. But the support staff help the direct staff do their job better. And as a part of modernizing the staff these functions had to be filled anyways.

The coaches can spend more time coaching and recruiting and less time with time consuming administrative work.

Reaction Score

at a point in time ... we were all pleased last spring when our TE coach Corey Edsall had all these kids saying what a great contact he was in recruiting.

Today? We have a decentralized system with all the Position Coaches out throwing offers. With a robust staffing of - seemingly 4 times the number of experienced staff turning over rocks - we have far more evaluations going on. I think as for as the "vision" Mora has set culturally - it is YOUNG coaches with a good few years of coaching. This will be a good turning the page on this last year.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
But I bet you laughed to yourself when you finished typing that.
Actually, first I was disappointed nobody else had a 'tres' joke. Then I panicked as I initially spelled it 'quatro' - and I used to be pretty fluent. Guess because I was most recently in France, I got confused if was c or q. So I had to hurry and Google it before the edit window closed and I left myself exposed to critique from Hans.

Reaction Score
I think you have to look at the OL recruiting strategy. Before this year's recruiting of HS and transfer players, the OL scholarships (by eligibility looked like this:

3 R-Jr.
3 R-So.
1 So.
3 R-Fr.

If you include Barboza and Giudone and the 2 HS commits, the OL scholarships (by eligibility) looks like this:

1 Grad.
4 R-Jr.
3 R-So.
1 So.
3 R-Fr.
2 Fr.

It's pretty clear that Mora wanted to get some OL experience to compete next year. I think Mora could bring in 2 or 3 more OL with at least 1 being a kid with experience and 1 more HS OL, but I think Mora will be opportunistic.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Someone doesn’t understand how recruiting works. While we might not care how graphics look, kids definitely do. Scrolling through Twitter and they see something unique that catches their eye is just another way programs gain exposure to prospective student athletes.
Yup. Basic tenet of marketing. Maximise every aspect of your product that gets in front of eyeballs.

Like BL I hope the guy can play. In Mora I trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom