2022 UConn Football Commit - Prince Samuels (Windsor, CT) | The Boneyard

2022 UConn Football Commit - Prince Samuels (Windsor, CT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

-> This already has been a busy week for Samuels. He was on the court Tuesday at Wethersfield as Windsor rolled 107-58. Earlier in the day, Samuels, a two-way threat on the field, was named to the 89th New Haven Register All-State football first team as a defensive end.

And now here he was discussing his college plans.

“I’ve decided to accept the offer,” Samuels said.

To go to UConn?

“Yes,” he said.

Samuels still has to make an official visit to Storrs later this month, so let's call this something just short of an official commitment.

Samuels was in his first class of the morning in late November when his teacher answered the phone and asked him to report to the school’s main office.

“It definitely surprised me,” Samuels said.

Thoughts obviously run through a young man’s head. He was a little worried. Was it good? Was it bad?

It was new UConn football coach Jim Mora.

“I wasn’t expecting to see him during my school day,” Samuels said. “It was the first time I had ever spoken to him.”

Had you been in contact with UConn?

“No,” Samuels said.

The two spoke, they spoke a little more and, dang, if Mora didn’t make a scholarship offer right there. Mora clearly has put more focus on in-state talent, both prep and CIAC. Victor Rosa, Clingan’s point guard at Bristol Central, who had committed to UConn under former coach Randy Edsall; Brady Wayburn, Denzel Mountali and Derek Spearman from Loomis Chaffee and Ben Murawski from St. Thomas More signed in December. Mora also has extended an offer to Norwalk’s Cam Edwards. The second signing period begins in February.

Samuels had 14 sacks, four forced fumbles and more than 70 tackles in Windsor’s run that finally ended Dec. 12 with a Class L finals loss to Maloney. As a receiver, he also had six touchdown catches, including two in the stunning come-from-behind upset of St. Joseph in the state semis. “It was a major upset — not for us of course,” Samuels said. “We got to the ‘ship, so we’re pretty proud of ourselves for that. We do wish we came out on top. It happens.”

So do you want to play offense or defense in college? “That’s a tough question,” said Samuels, who said he had some consideration from Syracuse, Illinois and Iowa. “I like to be on both sides of the ball. (UConn) recruited me as athlete.” <-

Prince Samuels is a 6-5 205lb DL/TE/ATH from Windsor High School in Windsor CT.

Highlights

Reaction Score
Don’t think Coach Mora would go to his school if it were the case, but any chance he’s a PWO?

Reaction Score
Could be a heck of a tight end prospect as well. Caught two TD's vs St Joseph's in the playoff game. 6'5 with 4.6 speed. Recruited as an "athlete" his position I assume is TBD.

Appears to be him catching the TD at 1.32 of this video. The coaches will be fighting over this recruit.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You'd think the hope is to get him as close to Trevardo 2.0 as possible. A 4.6 isn't spectacular for a DE anymore, but get him a year or two in the weight room to gain explosion and let's see what he can do.

Reaction Score
You'd think the hope is to get him as close to Trevardo 2.0 as possible. A 4.6 isn't spectacular for a DE anymore, but get him a year or two in the weight room to gain explosion and let's see what he can do.

In what world is a 4.6 (if that's legitimate) not still spectacular for a DE?

At the 2021 combine, only two players who worked out with the defensive line ran a sub 4.6, with two players at 4.62.

At the 2020 combine, only three players ran between 4.6 and 4.7.

Reaction Score
I take 40 times, especially of HS prospects with a grain of salt, but I do trust the NFL Combine 40 results. To put it in perspective, at the last 3 NFL Combines, there were 72 DEs who ran the 40, and only 6 running 4.6 or below with the lowest time of 4.53. Thus, if Samuels' 4.6 40 time is correct, that is elite speed for a DE.

OLBs typically have faster 40 times than DEs, but only 3 out of 19 ran a 4.6 or below 40 in 2021, with Micah Parsons running an unheard of 4.36 Trevardo Williams, who was tested at OLB at the NFL Combine, ran a 4.57.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
In what world is a 4.6 (if that's legitimate) not still spectacular for a DE?

At the 2021 combine, only two players who worked out with the defensive line ran a sub 4.6, with two players at 4.62.

At the 2020 combine, only three players ran between 4.6 and 4.7.
I take 40 times, especially of HS prospects with a grain of salt, but I do trust the NFL Combine 40 results. To put it in perspective, at the last 3 NFL Combines, there were 72 DEs who ran the 40, and only 6 running 4.6 or below with the lowest time of 4.53. Thus, if Samuels' 4.6 40 time is correct, that is elite speed for a DE.

OLBs typically have faster 40 times than DEs, but only 3 out of 19 ran a 4.6 or below 40 in 2021, with Micah Parsons running an unheard of 4.36 Trevardo Williams, who was tested at OLB at the NFL Combine, ran a 4.57.

@UConnJim has it more close to being right. I'll believe a 4.6 from a HS prospect when I see it. I like this pick up and the kid is fast. I expect him to be a DE/LB hybrid and I would expect in a lineup of 50 similar position prospects, he'd be towards the front of the pack but he's not winning that race.

Trevardo was empirically fast on multiple timing systems on multiple track surfaces.

Reaction Score
Everyone should take HS recruit 40 times with "a grain of salt". It's ridiculous. Every prospect runs a 4.4 - 4.6, nothing ever slower. Also, height seem to be measured with a pair of 70's platform disco shoes:)
This ^

Years ago the most popular recruiting sites posted all kinds of measurables (40 times, bench, squat, etc.). One year BC recruited a DT and the measurables posted on this kid would have put him near the top of the NFL combine. It got that ridiculous.

That all said, we desperately need speed at DE and LB if this defense is going to improve. Maybe this kid is a step in that direction.

Reaction Score
The only times I believe it are when they run track too and have verified times there that match up
Not a 40 but suffice to say he’s fairly quick - CIAC 2021 Class L 100 meter finals (June): (FAT timing). 2022 Commit Rosa is quicker ;)

008.png

Reaction Score
He's fast no doubt, but typically recruits 40 times in high school are the faster (or best case the same) than what they record at the combine.

Reaction Score
High school kids often have misleading 40 times. But if he weighs over 200 pounds and runs 4.6. He is very fast. Lots of good athletes have been coming out of Windsor.

Jerry Rice an a 4.6 at the NFL combine but I never saw anyone catch him from behind.

Reaction Score
Welcome young man. Like others, I’d love to see a return of speed to our D. I don’t care what you run a 40 in, I’d just like you to be faster off the blocks than the big guy in a 3 point stance grunting across from you.

Reaction Score
This ^

Years ago the most popular recruiting sites posted all kinds of measurables (40 times, bench, squat, etc.). One year BC recruited a DT and the measurables posted on this kid would have put him near the top of the NFL combine. It got that ridiculous.

That all said, we desperately need speed at DE and LB if this defense is going to improve. Maybe this kid is a step in that direction.
Oh to have Trevardo and Marcus Campbell types at DE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom