Men - 2022 UConn Fall Baseball/Alumni Game | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Men 2022 UConn Fall Baseball/Alumni Game

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
We won 21-0

Fordham (who was outscored by marist and villanova by ~25 runs in 4 games in 2022) is the last preseason opponent and will probably also be a bloodbath.

Reaction Score

Good that Ian Cooke and TC Simmons getting some fall ball action. Heard that they were both coming back from some injuries (don't know the details), so good to see them both back in the starting lineup.

Reaction Score

-> Connecticut

• The Huskies really like what they’ve seen from their transfers so far this fall, particularly lefthanded pitcher Andrew Sears and righthanded pitcher Stephen Quigley. Sears has been up to 93-94 mph with his fastball, while Quigley has been up to 93. Dom Freeberger is a graduate transfer who will be a Swiss-army knife for the Huskies. He can legitimately play every position on the field, and he’s up to 94 mph on the mound. Another Wheaton transfer, outfielder Jake Studley has impressed with his pop at the plate. As for first-year players, freshman Ryan Daniels is making a strong first impression. Daniels has some serious power from the left side of the plate and should make an immediate impact, particularly from a power standpoint.

• In terms of returning players, David Smith and Korey Morton brought the speed to the diamond for UConn’s annual Scout Day. Smith ran a 6.4 60-yard-dash while Morton ran a 6.29. As for returning pitchers, sophomore righthanded pitcher Brady Afthim and fellow righty Jake Sullivan have both been up to 93 this fall.

— Kendall Rogers <-

Guessing from this writeup that Jake Studley may be ahead of Niko Brini at this point of the fall ball season. Both of gotten a goodly amount of playing time in the three games/scrimmages that I have seen, and have to say that from what I have seen that Brini may be a potential future contributor as well. In recent exhibition games Freeberger seems to be anchored into the No. 3 spot in the lineup, so that to me also suggests what the coaching staff seems to think this "Swiss Army knife" type of player.

Guessing that Matt Garbowski is currently the leader to be the first string catcher, and I would certainly expect that. Don't know who at this point who will be his primary back up, but in both summer ball and fall ball, I like what I have seen from Ryan Hyde. Still, we'll see how the back up competition goes between Hyde and Levi McAllister.

In addition to Ryan Daniels, I kind of like what I have seen from Maddix Dalena, but there is only so much playing time to go around once the spring season starts up.

Reaction Score
Guessing from this writeup that Jake Studley may be ahead of Niko Brini at this point of the fall ball season. Both of gotten a goodly amount of playing time in the three games/scrimmages that I have seen, and have to say that from what I have seen that Brini may be a potential future contributor as well. In recent exhibition games Freeberger seems to be anchored into the No. 3 spot in the lineup, so that to me also suggests what the coaching staff seems to think this "Swiss Army knife" type of player.

Guessing that Matt Garbowski is currently the leader to be the first string catcher, and I would certainly expect that. Don't know who at this point who will be his primary back up, but in both summer ball and fall ball, I like what I have seen from Ryan Hyde. Still, we'll see how the back up competition goes between Hyde and Levi McAllister.

In addition to Ryan Daniels, I kind of like what I have seen from Maddix Dalena, but there is only so much playing time to go around once the spring season starts up.
Your observations don't differ too much from mine.

It's looking like a lineup of Huber, Smith, Padilla, Freeberger across the diamond. With Garbowski catching. Simmons, Morton, Studley would be my OF. With Broadhurst at Designated hitter.

Lots of guys who can come off bench or work their way in Daniels, Tammaro, Brown, Peterson, Dalena in the infield and Brini, Stephenson, Kron, and Greger in the OF. Dalena and Greger could factor in as two way guys in addition to Freeberger. Regardless of who the staff sees as number two catcher it will be nice to have three healthy and capable catchers on the roster. On paper I think we have more quality options of the bench this year than last year but like you say PT may be hard to come by. Good problem for a program to have.

Pitching wise I like what I have seen from a few of the transfers. Sears and S. Quigley look solid and could be both potential starters. M. Quigley had got some good swing and miss stuff and will be a good leverage bullpen piece. Nowak has some good stuff and will also be a good bullpen arm. A couple returners that we did not see in action last year Ellison and Pascarella look primed to make a jump. Both have had solid fall appearances.

Add in Cooke, Willis, Kirby, Quinn, Sullivan, Afthim, Coe, and Alejandro all returning with experience in meaningful innings and I think our pitching is deeper than it has probably ever been. No matter who we slot into the weekend starting roles that bullpen will be strong and full of options from both sides.

Should be another fun year to watch UConn baseball in 2023.

Reaction Score

My wife and I just got back from an extended Columbus Day weekend trip to Cape Cod, so I missed the exhibition game on Friday. Hope to be able to attend the exhibition game against Fordham on Saturday.

Reaction Score
Your observations don't differ too much from mine.

It's looking like a lineup of Huber, Smith, Padilla, Freeberger across the diamond. With Garbowski catching. Simmons, Morton, Studley would be my OF. With Broadhurst at Designated hitter.

Lots of guys who can come off bench or work their way in Daniels, Tammaro, Brown, Peterson, Dalena in the infield and Brini, Stephenson, Kron, and Greger in the OF. Dalena and Greger could factor in as two way guys in addition to Freeberger. Regardless of who the staff sees as number two catcher it will be nice to have three healthy and capable catchers on the roster. On paper I think we have more quality options of the bench this year than last year but like you say PT may be hard to come by. Good problem for a program to have.

Pitching wise I like what I have seen from a few of the transfers. Sears and S. Quigley look solid and could be both potential starters. M. Quigley had got some good swing and miss stuff and will be a good leverage bullpen piece. Nowak has some good stuff and will also be a good bullpen arm. A couple returners that we did not see in action last year Ellison and Pascarella look primed to make a jump. Both have had solid fall appearances.

Add in Cooke, Willis, Kirby, Quinn, Sullivan, Afthim, Coe, and Alejandro all returning with experience in meaningful innings and I think our pitching is deeper than it has probably ever been. No matter who we slot into the weekend starting roles that bullpen will be strong and full of options from both sides.

Should be another fun year to watch UConn baseball in 2023.

Agree that there is the potential for a lot of depth on this team, both in terms of position players and on the pitching staff. We'll have to see how things shape up as time progresses and as the coming season approaches.

Reaction Score
With Simmons and Morton, UConn has two capable defensive center fielders in the lineup. Outfield defense should be something of a plus for the coming season.
I would like to see Morton grab CF with his speed and arm strength would be a great template of a strong defense like you stated. Let’s go Spring 2023!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom