Men - 2022 UConn Fall Baseball/Alumni Game | The Boneyard

Men 2022 UConn Fall Baseball/Alumni Game

Reaction Score

I've been waiting for this announcement, figured it would be coming this week. Alumni Day is always a fun time, a highlight of our fall season so to speak. I hope to be at a few of these games.

Reaction Score
The 2022 baseball fall ball roster has been posted on the UConn Athletics website:

Players who were listed in the Transfer Portal who are back at UConn:

Chris Brown
Mitchell Pascarella
Zach Stephenson

Players who had not used up their eligibility and were not listed in the Transfer Portal, but are not on the fall ball roster:

Leo Socci
Ramsey Collins
Joe Wozny

Incoming Freshmen:

Levi McAllister - C
Noah Sorensen - SS
Maddix Dalena - 1B/3B
Ryan Daniels - Inf
Niko Brini - OF
Drew Kron - OF
Ryan Juliano - Inf

Gavin Greger - LHP/OF
Kolby Pascarelli - LHP/OF
Sam Clark - RHP
JJ Hood - RHP
John McGowan - RHP
Jude Abbadessa - RHP
Ryan Vandewater - RHP

Transfers:

Luke Broadhurst - Inf - Grad transfer from ECSU
Jake Studley - OF - Grad transfer from Wheaton
Paul Tamarro - Inf - Grad transfer from Oswego
Dominic Freeberger - Inf/OF/P - UNC Asheville

Stephen Quigley - RHP - Grad transfer from Wheaton
Michael Quigley - RHP - Transfer from UMass Lowell
Zach Fogell - LHP - Grad transfer from Brown
Will Nowak - RHP - Grad transfer from Hartford
Andrew Sears - LHP - Rhode Island College

Reaction Score
The 2022 baseball fall ball roster has been posted on the UConn Athletics website:

Chris Brown
Mitchell Pascarella
Zach Stephenson

Players who had not used up their eligibility and were not listed in the Transfer Portal, but are not on the fall ball roster:

Leo Socci
Ramsey Collins
Joe Wozny

Incoming Freshmen:

Levi McAllister - C
Noah Sorensen - SS
Maddix Dalena - 1B/3B
Ryan Daniels - Inf
Niko Brini - OF
Drew Kron - OF
Ryan Juliano - Inf

Gavin Greger - LHP/OF
Sam Clark - RHP
JJ Hood - RHP
John McGowan - RHP
Jude Abbadessa - RHP
Ryan Vandewater - RHP

Transfers:

A bit of a mistake in the above posting, Ramsey Collins is in the Transfer Portal, he is not on the 2022 Fall Ball Roster.

Reaction Score

Chris Brown
Mitchell Pascarella
Zach Stephenson

Leo Socci
Ramsey Collins
Joe Wozny

Incoming Freshmen:

Levi McAllister - C
Noah Sorensen - SS
Maddix Dalena - 1B/3B
Ryan Daniels - Inf
Niko Brini - OF
Drew Kron - OF
Ryan Juliano - Inf

Gavin Greger - LHP/OF
Sam Clark - RHP
JJ Hood - RHP
John McGowan - RHP
Jude Abbadessa - RHP
Ryan Vandewater - RHP

Transfers:

At this point there are 44 players on the fall ball roster. I believe the 2023 spring roster limit is 40 players on the playing roster, so at this point four players will need to be cut by spring.

Reaction Score

First noteworthy event of the fall ball season for UConn baseball. I won't be at this event this Friday (I'm certainly not a scout), but I do hope to make it to Storrs several times this fall to take some looks at the team.

Reaction Score
We saw Stock do nothing but hit the crap out of the ball for three seasons, and saw him throw the ball from the warning track in left field to his Catcher on the fly. If he's here for scout day because no MLB organization wants to see if he can work his way through the minors, baseball scouts are idiots.

Reaction Score
A bit surprised that UConn baseball has not yet tweeted or posted anything about Scout Day yet, the first "big event" of the fall ball season.
A bit surprised that UConn baseball has not yet tweeted or posted anything about Scout Day yet, the first "big event" of the fall ball season.
Attended Scout Day yesterday. My high-level takeaways based on VERY limited sample size:
1) Winner of the day: Korey Morton - He blazes the 60 (ran it 2x), looked great in RF outfield drills (2 sets of 2 reps to 3B/HP), and was on it in BP (blasted one over the 380 sign in left-center and it was line drive after line drive) His BP was the only one I saw where scouts had their phones out and were filming. Scout day structure plays to his strengths and he stood out.
2) Starting IF appeared to be Huber, Smitty, Padilla, and RS Fr. Jack Pedersen from Newton (who is a big kid and looked really good)
3) Brown at Daniels were first backups at 3B and SS, respectively
4) Suprise: Padilla looked really good and was a level above Daniels which surprised me (arm, range, BP). Daniels will have to up his level to win the SS job. Padilla also easily drove one over 380 sign in left center). If this was my first time seeing both players (it's not but assuming it was) Padilla looked better.
5) Stock took part in all drills (even catching). Again, if I didn't know who he was he didn't stand out. Love Stock but I don't think he helped himself and didn't have a good day (airmailed OF throws, catching throws were not accurate BP was ehh, etc.)
6) I didn't stay for all of the pitching drills. Radar was not now being shown on OF scoreboard so tough to tell velocity etc.

Any who attended who saw something different I'd like to hear since I'm not a scout, etc.

Reaction Score
We saw Stock do nothing but hit the crap out of the ball for three seasons, and saw him throw the ball from the warning track in left field to his Catcher on the fly. If he's here for scout day because no MLB organization wants to see if he can work his way through the minors, baseball scouts are idiots.
Agree he has more tools than many of the players who were drafted. Plus you don’t ever question his motor so has that dawg in him that should endear himself to scouts and thus opportunities. Still in disbelief he didn’t so much as get a FA look. Really don’t hope the injury cost him an opportunity since before that he was hitting as well as any husky we have seen at least in my memory….

Reaction Score
Attended Scout Day yesterday. My high-level takeaways based on VERY limited sample size:
1) Winner of the day: Korey Morton - He blazes the 60 (ran it 2x), looked great in RF outfield drills (2 sets of 2 reps to 3B/HP), and was on it in BP (blasted one over the 380 sign in left-center and it was line drive after line drive) His BP was the only one I saw where scouts had their phones out and were filming. Scout day structure plays to his strengths and he stood out.
2) Starting IF appeared to be Huber, Smitty, Padilla, and RS Fr. Jack Pedersen from Newton (who is a big kid and looked really good)
4) Suprise: Padilla looked really good and was a level above Daniels which surprised me (arm, range, BP). Daniels will have to up his level to win the SS job. Padilla also easily drove one over 380 sign in left center). If this was my first time seeing both players (it's not but assuming it was) Padilla looked better.
5) Stock took part in all drills (even catching). Again, if I didn't know who he was he didn't stand out. Love Stock but I don't think he helped himself and didn't have a good day (airmailed OF throws, catching throws were not accurate BP was ehh, etc.)
6) I didn't stay for all of the pitching drills. Radar was not now being shown on OF scoreboard so tough to tell velocity etc.

Any who attended who saw something different I'd like to hear since I'm not a scout, etc.

Padilla had a very good year last season for UConn. Unless he totally falls off his game (like Chris Brown did last season), I would be very surprised if he is not the starting shortstop (or starting somewhere in the infield) next spring. Padilla has two years more experience over Daniels at UConn (remember, he was a redshirt his first year at UConn), and that experience is big with Coach Penders.

While I would hope Padilla would show some improvement over last season, it would hardly be a surprise to me that he looked so good and would be a level above Daniels at this point. Give Daniels two years experience at UConn, and we will see what he looks like.

Not surprised Korey Morton would attract lots of attention from the scouts, it would seem he has the most athletic skills on the team in terms of position players, and he has a great speed/power combo. Due to his athletic skills, I would think the scouts expect he has a lot of room to grow in terms of his talent. In my mind Morton's biggest weakness is his strike zone judgement, if he can improve on this and cut down on his strikeouts and increase his walk totals, that would be a nice improvement right there. Whatever the case, even though Morton was hurt for a good chunk of the spring season, he had a terrific spring season and was named First Team All-Big East.

Reaction Score

It will be interesting to see how Jack Petersen progresses this season. He was redshirted last season (not sure if he was injured), and from what I recall he was barely mentioned by the coaching staff in tweets or interviews during the season. During the summer ball season, Petersen quickly disappeared from the New Britain Bees roster (Futures League). Will Petersen make the great leap forward during this fall ball season? It would seem that he would have plenty of competition for the open infield position not only from Chris Brown and possibly from incoming freshmen, but also from a few of the transfers who have joined UConn baseball. Both Padilla and Brown seemed to come out of nowhere to become starters in the infield the last couple of seasons, so we will see what happens this time around.

Reaction Score

I am shocked Stock was there , feel bad for the guy. Average age where MLB Scouts are looking at 18-21. Maybe the Independent Leagues .. Good luck to him for sure …

Reaction Score
I've been waiting for this announcement, figured it would be coming this week. Alumni Day is always a fun time, a highlight of our fall season so to speak. I hope to be at a few of these games.

Anyone going? I think all you regular posters should wear name tags so we irregulars can acknowledge and show our appreciation for you.

Reaction Score
Padilla had a very good year last season for UConn. Unless he totally falls off his game (like Chris Brown did last season), I would be very surprised if he is not the starting shortstop (or starting somewhere in the infield) next spring. Padilla has two years more experience over Daniels at UConn (remember, he was a redshirt his first year at UConn), and that experience is big with Coach Penders.

While I would hope Padilla would show some improvement over last season, it would hardly be a surprise to me that he looked so good and would be a level above Daniels at this point. Give Daniels two years experience at UConn, and we will see what he looks like.

Not surprised Korey Morton would attract lots of attention from the scouts, it would seem he has the most athletic skills on the team in terms of position players, and he has a great speed/power combo. Due to his athletic skills, I would think the scouts expect he has a lot of room to grow in terms of his talent. In my mind Morton's biggest weakness is his strike zone judgement, if he can improve on this and cut down on his strikeouts and increase his walk totals, that would be a nice improvement right there. Whatever the case, even though Morton was hurt for a good chunk of the spring season, he had a terrific spring season and was named First Team All-Big East.
Agree with your comments with one small exception. Guys like Daniels will not sit around for two years waiting to start. He will be in the transfer portal. That doesn't mean he is just given a role. He obviously has to earn it. But I would give him a look at 3rd base as I think his bat can be an asset in that lineup. He has played 2B in the past but barring something crazy that is Smitty's job and that's not changing.

Reaction Score
Agree with your comments with one small exception. Guys like Daniels will not sit around for two years waiting to start. He will be in the transfer portal. That doesn't mean he is just given a role. He obviously has to earn it. But I would give him a look at 3rd base as I think his bat can be an asset in that lineup. He has played 2B in the past but barring something crazy that is Smitty's job and that's not changing.

I did not mean to imply that Daniels will not get a chance at playing time, just that I would be very surprised if Daniels replaced Padilla at shortstop in the starting lineup given how well Padilla played last season. It would not surprise me if Daniels gets a look at 3B or another open spot. Right now with Huber, Smith, and Padilla all back with the team, there is an open spot in the infield that either an incoming freshman such as Daniels, one of the transfers, or a returning player such as Chris Brown or Jack Petersen could fill.

Right now we probably all have David Smith pencilled in at 2B, but he can also play 3B and the outfield as well, so there is certainly some flexibility there. It would seem Morton and Simmons will most likely be starters in the outfield, but there is an open spot in the outfield as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom