2022 Recruiting: Donovan Clingan | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Donovan Clingan

Reaction Score
Here We Go Again GIF by memecandy

Reaction Score
Don't give a flip about a clip about the dip. Big Dipper vs Little Dipper?? Gotta tip. Could give a rip.

Can a player with a chip help deliver the 5th "Ship?? I'm hip with that nip.

Yipping and quipping about the dipping ?? You're trippin'

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think I’m the one getting trolled here. This must be my karma for saying DC is a taller Tyler Oleander so I must be cursed in all his threads moving forward.
I think people think your trolling because your posting videos of guys dipping and saying you can’t see it. But let’s leave the thread alone at this point….best of luck wit the jumper Donovan

Reaction Score
I'm curious about a coaches viewpoint. His 3 point shot is effective which is most important, however, as part of the rhythm of his shot he frequently brings the ball down to his waist to gather to raise to take the shot. It would seem the pause to make that motion allows time for a defender to close, and, the ball is vulnerable to a defender with quick hands while he is doing that. It is unavoidable when he is catching a bounce pass at his waist like the first shots in the clip. If he was down low you would have the pass high, catch high, and keep the ball high, so small players can't easily defend. On one of the passes he caught at a higher point I think he also brought the ball down to that same position to gather, raise, and shoot. Would coaches try to get the ball to him at a higher point and coach not going down to his waist as part of his 3 point shot? Or, would they not mess with the rhythm because it is effective, and just run with shots where he has the space to do what he does? Would they try to speed up that part of the rhythm? Love that the ball goes in the hoop, just curious if a coach sees something there for Donovan to improve on.

Like what I see and see what you are saying. But i will say this he is 7’ plus and when he’s shooting 3s many times will be off a switch so a smaller guy or a bigger guy who can’t get out fast enough. A little improvement maybe but what I see there is a great start for DC.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
So excited to have him! CT kid who seems to have a strong work ethic. If he’s really 7’1 with no shoes & a 7’7 wingspan, that’s absurd at the NBA level, let alone in college.

His shot doesn’t look bad at all & it will only improve with college coaching. Improved strength & conditioning will do wonders for his balance & foot speed. We know he rebounds well & is a tremendous passer out of the post. If he can stretch the floor on top of that, we better enjoy him because he won’t be here long.

Reaction Score
Really not a bad-looking stroke at all. A little awkward balance-wise and the ball is kind of too directly in front of his face I think... but there's a lot to work with here.

I'm glad he and his family are realizing a 3-ball is an important part of his game. These days if you're not a freak athlete at the 5, then you need to be able to shoot.

Ideally he can start turning these into full speed contact drills by the end of the summer with hard work.
As much as we've wanted him to come to UConn, it's still a little hard to believe he's that big and that skilled at his age.
Now, if he can do these drills with a few chairs spaced around the court we may have a superstar prospect on our hands......... :rolleyes:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
typo's 100 game career 3ball average is 38%. period, end of sentence. how on earth can he have a career overall shooting % of 39%????? not exactly 'red on roundball' stuff. garza, 6'11'' for eg, shot 44% last year.
other than a few feet from the hoop, andre, thus far, has no shot. zero. he's new tho, so there's reasonable hope that he can improve dramatically.
dc's shot is fine as pie for a rising high school senior who happens to be a billion feet tall, cuz, ya know, the overwhelming and vast majority of perimeter defenders on him will not be a billion feet tall. mos def.

Reaction Score
Could someone explain what a dip is to me, then maybe post some videos that explain it & show what pros dip and don’t?

Reaction Score
Anyone that has ever played serious basketball before knows that a dip in a jump shot means absolutely nothing. If you can get your shot off and the ball consistently goes in the hoop, that’s all that matters.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Anyone that has ever played serious basketball before knows that a dip in a jump shot means absolutely nothing. If you can get your shot off and the ball consistently goes in the hoop, that’s all that matters.
True, playing in the Hoop Hall isn't too serious I guess. Neither is spending my early career working in the game. I like how everyone just ignores the clear difference of the dips in bad shooters jumpshots and good shooters. Even looking at the clear example of what changed from Kemba's jumpshot to turn him from a horrific shooter to a good one.

Reaction Score

Take this video with a grain of salt. I think it was done 6 months ago. Brings some good points however.

I refrained from the the "dip" theories for a bit while I was enjoying my chips and "dip" reading this thread. It really is entertaining to say the least. DC does bring the ball to his waist when he shoots from outside. (Is that the dip?) this is not to concerning (it's fluid) unless he is inside the arc for a pull up. That will be knocked out of his hands the majority of the time. At this point he will need to learn to keep it above his head for that kind of jumper when facing the basket.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
True, playing in the Hoop Hall isn't too serious I guess. Neither is spending my early career working in the game. I like how everyone just ignores the clear difference of the dips in bad shooters jumpshots and good shooters. Even looking at the clear example of what changed from Kemba's jumpshot to turn him from a horrific shooter to a good one.
I wouldn’t say that playing in a high school basketball tournament would make you an expert on this subject.

I do know that during my college basketball career I spent countless hours trying to remove the “dip” from my jump shot thinking I would be able to get my shot off quicker and there would be less room for mechanical error - but when it came down to it, my in game shots always reverted back to dipping the basketball. And to be honest it didn’t matter…the dip didn’t change my shot selection ever, it didn’t prevent me from getting my shot off and the dip didn’t effect my shooting %. That’s my personal experience on this subject.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom