2022-23 Transfer portal announcements | Page 21 | The Boneyard

2022-23 Transfer portal announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
She committed to Mississippi State then decommitted and committed to Texas (a season before Coach Schaefer’s departure from MSU to Texas) then ended up at West Virginia. She is a 2019 high school grad with R Jackson.
No, she signed an LOI with Miss. State in November of her senior season. Was released from her LOI the following summer. Then signed an ASA with Texas. Not sure exactly what happened after that before ending up at WVU.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No, she signed an LOI with Miss. State in November of her senior season. Was released from her LOI the following summer. Then signed an ASA with Texas. Not sure exactly what happened after that before ending up at WVU.

True that she signed a LOI but the point was the order of where she went regarding the timeline of Coach Schaefer’s departure.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
True that she signed a LOI but the point was the order of where she went regarding the timeline of Coach Schaefer’s departure.
No biggie. Just kind of indicating that decommitting from a verbal commitment (which the NCAA does not acknowledge as "official") is a lot easier than getting a release from a signed and binding LOI.

Reaction Score
So, Sedona transferred once already, but she sat out one season; that means she for sure has her one-time transfer exception for immediate eligibility available.
Dre’Una Edwards sat out a season after transferring from Utah to Kentucky. As was thoroughly discussed, she did not receive a one-time transfer exception when she subsequently transferred from UK to Baylor. She did not qualify as a grad transfer.

Why would Prince get a one-time transfer exception if she didn’t graduate from Oregon, which evidently she has.

Also, how long do Martinez and Prince have to rescind their WNBA draft declaration and remain eligible for a transfer to another NCAA program?

Reaction Score
It hadn’t occurred to me that Prince had any eligibility left. She seems like the only post player Geno might be interested in.
I'm not sure I remember this right, but I thought we tried to recruit her. Maybe someone else remembers better than me.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
So she’s declaring for the draft, maintaining eligibility, entered the portal, but could still possibly stay at Arizona? I’m so confused.
Wait. I thought if you declared for the draft, you renounced your remaining eligibility? Or is this for folks that only had a covid year to use, not multiple years of eligibility left?

Reaction Score
Wait. I thought if you declared for the draft, you renounced your remaining eligibility? Or is this for folks that only had a covid year to use, not multiple years of eligibility left?

I believe as the same with the NBA, if you do not hire an agent, you can withdraw your name. There is a time limit though.

Reaction Score
Not sure about her original commitment to Texas but when she hit the portal, she took a visit to UCONN.
That is correct. Would Geno entertain her if she wanted to visit, again, or would he contact her? I don’t think that he would.

Reaction Score
There is that 7'2" Russian player. Her name escapes me. Ivana Stepovaya or something like that.
They also need a player totally focused on offense, shooting from anywhere on the court. There’s that German player available, Ima Guuner?

Reaction Score

Couldn't crack the Terps rotation. There are far reaching ramifications for this transfer. First, her sister Amiyah who committed to the Terps will most likely ask for her release from her scholarship. Second and even more important, her stud sister Kira Reynolds (class of 2025) won't be going to Maryland now. She averaged a double-double and also averaged close to 6 blocks per game.

Reaction Score
That is correct. Would Geno entertain her if she wanted to visit, again, or would he contact her? I don’t think that he would.
I think he would, if he was looking to add anyone. I’m not sure he is, though.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It hadn’t occurred to me that Prince had any eligibility left. She seems like the only post player Geno might be interested in.

I wouldn't touch Prince with a 10 foot pole if I'm Geno. She’s big and skilled but isn’t the most basketball focused player, nor does she like competing down low. My guess is she ends up somewhere that packages some big NIL deals for her. She has a massive Tik Tok following similar to the Cavinder Twins.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I posted the same thing but on the WNBA website it states that this year's draft includes an opt-in clause. This means that players with collegiate eligibility remaining don't have to forfeit their remaining eligibility. However, I must have missed the "hiring an agent" caveat.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Couldn't crack the Terps rotation. There are far reaching ramifications for this transfer. First, her sister Amiyah who committed to the Terps will most likely ask for her release from her scholarship. Second and even more important, her stud sister Kira Reynolds (class of 2025) won't be going to Maryland now. She averaged a double-double and also averaged close to 6 blocks per game.
And she wouldn't of probably seen all that much PT next year with Sellars, Alexander and Briggs around. Plus, who knows if Brenda will being in more transfers.

Agree with your ramifications that have been duly noted on McGraw's Bench, since the Reynolds family plays at South Bend Washington, home high school for one Skylar Diggins (Smith).

And, yes, Kira is the primary interest for Irish fans, too.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I wouldn't touch Prince with a 10 foot pole if I'm Geno. She’s big and skilled but isn’t the most basketball focused player, nor does she like competing down low. My guess is she ends up somewhere that packages some big NIL deals for her. She has a massive Tik Tok following similar to the Cavinder Twins.
Didn't she already visit UConn back when she left Texas? Pretty sure she also dropped by ND on her way out west to Oregon.

If Coach Ivey goes into the transfer market, I hope Ms. Prince isn't considered at this juncture for a slew of reasons; most notably that she really isn't a rebounder and that's what Ivey needs out of that post position. Ironically, Prince going to Oregon is one reason Kylee Watson ultimately left the Left Coast for ND -- playing time. Can't see Niele going in the direction.

Reaction Score
I posted the same thing but on the WNBA website it states that this year's draft includes an opt-in clause. This means that players with collegiate eligibility remaining don't have to forfeit their remaining eligibility. However, I must have missed the "hiring an agent" caveat.
When Collegiate players hire an agent, they’re no longer able to withdraw themselves from the draft. I don’t know how it works in terms of NIL, though.

Reaction Score

Another freshman out from Wisconsin? Thought the team had made some decent inroads compared the last season. Many UConn fans want Moseley to succeed. This is a little perplexing.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I doubt he does. Sedona visited UConn after her transfer from Texas and the Huskies finished a very close second to Oregon. I’m thinking Geno would go in a different direction were he to consider bringing in a post player from the portal.

Reaction Score
Interestingly, the number of transfers this year is way down from the number of transfers at this point last year.

Reaction Score
I don’t think any top program should go anywhere near Sedona, she seemed to be a distraction and negatively affected team chemistry at Oregon.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Interestingly, the number of transfers this year is way down from the number of transfers at this point last year.
To be exact, according to Raoul's blog:

In 2021-22, there were:
  • 1,331 Total
  • 269 from P-5 Schools
  • 1,062 Non P-5's
  • 192 Players who had previously transferred

In 2022-23 (so far)
  • 302 Total Transfers
  • 87 P-5 Transfers (about 1/3 of last year)
  • 215 from Non P-5's
  • 34 who had previously transferred

So, if you feel there are less transfers that you're reading about than lat year, you're right...so far.

One possible reason I can see for this is that the Covid exemption only applies to juniors and seniors now, cutting down on the multiple years a player might get.

And, who knows, maybe coaching staffs are addressing issues that players cited when they transferred (more open communications?).

Stay tuned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul