Men - 2021 UConn Baseball @ NCAA Tournament’s South Bend Regional (6/4 > 6/7) Game 3 v. Central Michigan > Sunday @ 12p on ESPN3/Mixlr | Page 29 | The Boneyard

Men 2021 UConn Baseball @ NCAA Tournament’s South Bend Regional (6/4 > 6/7) Game 3 v. Central Michigan > Sunday @ 12p on ESPN3/Mixlr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Lighten up! They played their hearts out and gave us an exciting post season.

Enjoyed reading everyone's comments.

See you in Fresno!
There's nothing to lighten up about. He stated facts. This program needs to find a way to take it to the next level. Every team plays their hearts out. It's the ones that make the least amount of mistakes this time of year that are still playing on.

Reaction Score
I feel like there are a lot of new names in the last hour who don’t actually follow this team each year starting in February.

Is that a bad thing? A lot of us are heavy into UConn hoops in February and March.

Reaction Score
o

they do play everyone. This years was COVID and they couldnt play alot of teams. We have always played a tough schedule and never shied away from the better local teams.
I know they do but in this new league the second half of the season is very weak and will be going forward. In the past we had 30 odd games with East Carolina, Houston Cincinatti. We replaced those with glorified high school teams. We should and did dominate this league but we need to find a way to upgrade the schedule throughout the season not just in February and March.

Reaction Score
Is that a bad thing? A lot of us are heavy into UConn hoops in February and March.
Well when a lot of the new names start question to things about the program that are absolutely false, yes it is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
South Alabama just sent Florida and Miami packing. Fairfield just eliminated ASU. Central Michigan knocked off Michigan and, well, UConn. Who do you think those teams played in April and May that toughened them up for this week?

UConn lost this weekend because they didn’t make pitches, or plays for that matter, that they have all year. Not because of some fundamental scheduling issue of the program.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know they do but in this new league the second half of the season is very weak and will be going forward. In the past we had 30 odd games with East Carolina, Houston Cincinatti. We replaced those with glorified high school teams. We should and did dominate this league but we need to find a way to upgrade the schedule throughout the season not just in February and March.

I understand why the school is in the Big East. I don't understand why many feel the need to pretend that it's a good thing for the baseball program. It's not. The step down in competition is severe. It's just what it is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Coach Penders > CMU staff told him after the game that Gallagher was tipping his pitches but still credits CMU because they still had to hit what they knew was coming.

Amore’s article above mentions it and Penders was mad they didn’t pick it up.

“As coaches, you’re upset we didn’t pick it up ourselves,” Penders said, “but you still have to hit it, and Central Michigan did plenty of hitting today.”

Reaction Score
I understand why the school is in the Big East. I don't understand why many feel the need to pretend that it's a good thing for the baseball programs. It's not. The step down in competition is severe. It's just what it is.
I do too. But you are right on. And in college sports there is a tendency to “ move to the mean“ over time. Occasionally there are fun stories, especially in a sport like baseball and maybe Fairfield is one. But trying to be a nationally competitive in the northeast is a tall order. Doing it playing in the New Big East makes it many times tougher. That’s why I say we need to play tough non-conference games throughout the season. Local games are fine and Central and maybe Fairfield, occasionally BC, are solid, but we can throw a guy out there and beat Butler or Georgetown and we’ll never know how good or bad he really is. Heck we could’ve send bl out and beat Seton Hall this year. I want to see them figure out a way to play the Norte Dames, the Maryland’s and Virginia’s in mid week games when the weekend is full of dreck.

The Big East is a one bid league most years. We should get that bid most of the time. It will only be a 2 bid league most years if we lose the tournament after winning the regular season. But if we want to go anywhere beyond an appearance, we need to figure out how to get there.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
We should absolutely play CCSU and Fairfield which are both very solid Programs.
We have to keep up the recruiting. Penders and staff doing GREAT job and just keep it going.
Agreed on playing some tough opponents midweek. Gotta do it.
Time to utilize those cheap introductory fares on Breeze Air to fly from Hartford to Pittsburgh!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Had a rough 2 days after a brilliant performance Friday evening
Never thought it would end like this but thats sports
Great season after a rough start
Great things will come to this program - its on solid ground and has been heading in the right direction
See you in the fall!!!!!

Reaction Score
Fairfield was on this year’s schedule until the MAAC went conference games only. They should be a regular H/H as long as they aren’t/turn into a RPI hit.

Toss Fairfield in with BC, Northeastern, Bryant, URI for regular H/H. CCSU has been a regular on the schedule as well. That would not be a bad midweek New England schedule at all.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Toss Fairfield in with BC, Northeastern, Bryant, URI for regular H/H. CCSU has been a regular on the schedule as well. That would not be a bad midweek New England schedule at all.
Hasn’t this always been our schedule? We started weeding out the second games with UMass, CCSU and Sacred Heart when their RPIs were too high. I’m not sure on the specifics but Fairfield was also one of those teams with a high RPI historically. Yes they are having a great run this year but they were usually one of our midweek “stat games” for our guys.

Reaction Score
Hasn’t this always been our schedule? We started weeding out the second games with UMass, CCSU and Sacred Heart when their RPIs were too high. I’m not sure on the specifics but Fairfield was also one of those teams with a high RPI historically. Yes they are having a great run this year but they were usually one of our midweek “stat games” for our guys.

Not quite. The only one of these teams that was consistently a home and home was URI. With the advent of UConn's new ballpark and the pandemic last season, home and homes were scheduled this past season for Northeastern, BC, and Bryant, but they had not been scheduled that way in previous seasons during the Penders era. In the past UConn would play these teams once a year, not twice. I have a suspicion that UConn will probably continue to schedule 1 game with UMass, but considering UMass barely offers athletic scholarships in baseball, that one will probably always be something of an RPI drag, while the others would not be.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Now that I've had a minute to let it sink in, as disappointing as it ended in the tournament, it was still a great season and I can't wait to see them next year.

Reaction Score
Now that I've had a minute to let it sink in, as disappointing as it ended in the tournament, it was still a great season and I can't wait to see them next year.

Any season where UConn baseball goes to the NCAA Tournament is certainly a success, even if the ending ends up being disappointing in some way shape or form. I believe in odds, if UConn baseball keeps making the NCAA Tournament, eventually they will break through the first weekend and make it to the Super Regional round. Good ground work has been laid with the new baseball facilities in Storrs, and that will certainly help the program. Plus, UConn will have a few more players go in the MLB draft, which is always good publicity and a big plus to the program as well, something that helps in recruiting down the line. Plus, UConn baseball's national profile seems to keep rising as well.

Reaction Score

I mentioned this elsewhere, but UConn baseball looks like it will be losing a number of key players due to graduation and/or the MLB draft. Next season is looking like a rebuilding/restocking season, but in my mind those seasons can be quite interesting to witness, as we see who potentially emerges to take the place of the various departed players.

Reaction Score
I do too. But you are right on. And in college sports there is a tendency to “ move to the mean“ over time. Occasionally there are fun stories, especially in a sport like baseball and maybe Fairfield is one. But trying to be a nationally competitive in the northeast is a tall order. Doing it playing in the New Big East makes it many times tougher. That’s why I say we need to play tough non-conference games throughout the season. Local games are fine and Central and maybe Fairfield, occasionally BC, are solid, but we can throw a guy out there and beat Butler or Georgetown and we’ll never know how good or bad he really is. Heck we could’ve send bl out and beat Seton Hall this year. I want to see them figure out a way to play the Norte Dames, the Maryland’s and Virginia’s in mid week games when the weekend is full of dreck.

The Big East is a one bid league most years. We should get that bid most of the time. It will only be a 2 bid league most years if we lose the tournament after winning the regular season. But if we want to go anywhere beyond an appearance, we need to figure out how to get there.
Completely Agree.
I know it will likely be tough, but we need to find a way to play a Maryland, Virginia, Notre Dame midweek. We need to get tougher opponents. Seton Hall, Butler, Georgetown and some of these other laymo's do nothing for us.
Central and Fairfield are musts for the schedule as they are very good / solid quality. I really don't know much about Fairfield aside from this year but assume they are regularly pretty good and Central has a nice little history going where they are a good challenger.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Completely Agree.
I know it will likely be tough, but we need to find a way to play a Maryland, Virginia, Notre Dame midweek. We need to get tougher opponents. Seton Hall, Butler, Georgetown and some of these other laymo's do nothing for us.
Central and Fairfield are musts for the schedule as they are very good / solid quality. I really don't know much about Fairfield aside from this year but assume they are regularly pretty good and Central has a nice little history going where they are a good challenger.
One of these things is not like the others...

1623076546023.png

(Wow, I knew the BE quality was bad, but I no idea how bad.)

Reaction Score
Completely Agree.
I don't see any way those mid week games happen. Weekend OOC series sure, but that kind of travel for 1 game midweek just doesn't seem realistic

Reaction Score
Completely Agree.
Right. We need to play the top local teams, Fairfield, Central Bryant and Northeastern but also add some tougher competition for midweek games. And it seems doable with ACC teams coming up to play BC and us going down to play Georgetown and Villanova. Plus see who we can play when we head out to take on Xavier or Butler. Schedule the Irish on Wednesday then go to Indianapolis for the weekend series. Get UNC to come to Storrs for a Tuesday-Wednesday series before heading to Boston to play BC. Make it a big deal and play at Dunkin Donuts. Just figure out a way to do it. Build the program.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I was on the road all day yesterday for work and pulled over to the side of the road to see what was going on here at the Boneyard to follow the game. First of all, thanks to dbmill for the innings rundown- when you only have a few seconds to glance, it helps. Thank you to huskymedic, ucjoet tmills and the rest of the crew for a fun season.

It was a good year but I think the expectations of winning this regional leave a bad taste in our mouth. Had we been competitive it would feel better. The schedule had nothing to do with the last 2 games. For some reason, a team that had been rolling lost it. It happens in sports all the time, what goes up must come down and vice versa.

It was shocking how we played the last 2 games, especially with the dirt dog mentality and the experience. That said, winning a regional takes pitching depth- if Colby Dunlop, Jimmy Wang and Joe Simeone had progressed like we thought they would, we would have had 6 starters!! Sometimes things don't work out they way they are planned.

Penders knows what it takes to get over the hump, he will continue to build it and while next year will be a rebuild, we look to have more athleticism and speed. I think there are lots of arms to step forward and somehow, when it looks like a great guy is going, someone else steps up: Kay to Cate, Feoli to Krauth to Peterson and Casparius, or think of the closers- recently- Ruotolo, Russell, Poulin, Wallace to Wurster - someone always steps up. This has been going on for many years. The talent level is rising and now we have the facilities. Thank you to the baseball program and I look forward to following the kids in summer ball and start the cycle all over again next year.

Reaction Score
I don't see any way those mid week games happen. Weekend OOC series sure, but that kind of travel for 1 game midweek just doesn't seem realistic

The midweek New England game schedule that I mentioned in a previous post is not a bad midweek schedule at all. BC, Northeastern, URI, and Bryant always have quality teams, and to play them twice removes a number of the 200 plus RPI New England teams that have populated the schedule in the past. If Fairfield keeps it up, playing 2 against them would be good as well. Midweek games especially while classes are in session are almost always going to be bus rides to games, but playing teams like Virginia and Notre Dame in the normal midweek isn't going to happen. Always a chance they might pop up on a weekend schedule in the future.

One weekend series that Chris Jones mentioned a few times that may be happening next season or the seasons to follow is a series against Rutgers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom