Men - 2021 UConn Baseball @ NCAA Tournament’s South Bend Regional (6/4 > 6/7) Game 3 v. Central Michigan > Sunday @ 12p on ESPN3/Mixlr | Page 30 | The Boneyard

Men 2021 UConn Baseball @ NCAA Tournament’s South Bend Regional (6/4 > 6/7) Game 3 v. Central Michigan > Sunday @ 12p on ESPN3/Mixlr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One of these things is not like the others...

View attachment 67879

(Wow, I knew the BE quality was bad, but I no idea how bad.)

I disagree. The Big East certainly isn't as good as the AAC, and it will be fairly rare for the conference to get an at large bid, but I don't think it is as quite as bad as people say it is. The conference has a couple of consistent stinkers in Georgetown and Butler, that is for sure. Saint John's had a poor season for them, usually they are much better than they showed this season. But Creighton, Seton Hall, and Xavier are all pretty good from year to year, and I expect Saint John's to be consistently in that tier as well. Not sure about Villanova, they did pretty well this season, but I half expect them to rejoin the Georgetown at the bottom of the league, but as always, we'll have to see about that.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I disagree. The Big East certainly isn't as good as the AAC, and it will be fairly rare for the conference to get an at large bid, but I don't think it is as quite as bad as people say it is. The conference has a couple of consistent stinkers in Georgetown and Butler, that is for sure. Saint John's had a poor season for them, usually they are much better than they showed this season. But Creighton, Seton Hall, and Xavier are all pretty good from year to year, and I expect Saint John's to be consistently in that tier as well. Not sure about Villanova, they did pretty well this season, but I half expect them to rejoin the Georgetown at the bottom of the league, but as always, we'll have to see about that.
I'm inclined to agree with you but their RPIs all being north of 100 surprised me.

Reaction Score
I'm inclined to agree with you but their RPIs all being north of 100 surprised me.

I've checked Big East RPI's in the past, usually there are a few Big East teams with RPI's in the double digits rather than triple. Obviously this season it didn't happen.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I think the Big East will improve in baseball with us in it. It seems that Creighton, Xavier, St John's and Seton Hall have a commitment to it and that is the start. Not sure where Nova Butler and G'town are with their commitment, but their improvement will help the overall RPI.

Regarding mid week scheduling- costs are a big decider on who plays where- strong regional games will always be the way to go as opposed to travelling or getting someone to travel here. This is college baseball, not the minor leagues

Reaction Score
I think the Big East will improve in baseball with us in it. It seems that Creighton, Xavier, St John's and Seton Hall have a commitment to it and that is the start. Not sure where Nova Butler and G'town are with their commitment, but their improvement will help the overall RPI.

Regarding mid week scheduling- costs are a big decider on who plays where- strong regional games will always be the way to go as opposed to travelling or getting someone to travel here. This is college baseball, not the minor leagues

This. We're not flying anywhere for midweek games, and no one is paying to fly here. You just have to do the best you can within bus range.

Reaction Score
This. We're not flying anywhere for midweek games, and no one is paying to fly here. You just have to do the best you can within bus range.
Then expect early exits to be the norm...our RPI will be suspect for a while after getting blown out of the building twice. Once being beyond embarrassing. As my ND friend said Who kicked the field goal?

I’m not saying go to Southern California. I’m saying go to Georgetown a day early and play Maryland.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Then expect early exits to be the norm...our RPI will be suspect for a while after getting blown out of the building twice. Once being beyond embarrassing. As my ND friend said Who kicked the field goal?

I’m not saying go to Southern California. I’m saying go to Georgetown a day early and play Maryland.
We couldn't get conference teams outside of Xavier to move a game or do something different. Why would Maryland want to do this for us?

Reaction Score

Conference weekend games are the most important games on any teams college baseball schedule. No one ever schedules a non conference game the day before a weekend conference series. Among other things, I am sure everyone wants a fresh pitching staff for the weekend series. It isn't going to happen. Besides, UConn's non conference schedule is pretty competitive as it is, especially if they do home and home games with the best of the New England school's, as was on the schedule this season before the pandemic cancelled many of these midweek games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
our RPI will be suspect for a while after getting blown out of the building twice. Once being beyond embarrassing. As my ND friend said Who kicked the field goal?

Mid week games are only played Tuesday and Wednesday. No one plays on Thursday because it would be wasting pitchers that need to be fresh for the weekend. And Mondays are recovery/off days from the weekend series.

Also, how does two loses in a regional affect our future RPI?

Reaction Score
A FEW COMMENTS ...

First, we have to assume the team feels as I do. YOU get beat 26-3 ... nay, begin with a 5 run deficit before you have even opened the boxscore, and you are just in a foul mood. Both the ND and CMU games were huge aberrations for a Penders program. I understand. They shouldn't be hangdog; but they are 18-23 year olds. And ... frigging ... Notre Dame really amped up the score and the gap against kids that did not pitch all year.

Second, you cannot look at the Big East RPI and think that it was anyway indicative of what those programs desire to be ... in the COVID year. My view is Creighton is good with a great home park. Xavier & Seton Hall also; Saint John's is down but won't be down for long. But the evidence on Georgetown and Villanova and Butler is not good. Meanwhile, South Florida and East Carolina advances. We cannot be flying around in this era playing Maryland or Notre Dame midweek. Just gonna have to do the best we can scheduling. Penders HAS improved the talent and recruiting markedly; he now has another think ... how to keep a high qualitative level hoping these other BE programs care.

I am really annoyed at the Home Regional stuff. I get the great crowds for the home program: Mississippi and Arkansas was just on. But the MUSIC blaring when there's a rally or pitching change etc etc. It is bush league.

Reaction Score
I’m curious… can you explain your thought process in regards to margin of victory/loss impacting future RPI?

It’s the internet. For reasons I can’t explain, people think if they’re angry that makes it o.k. to say stupid stuff.

Reaction Score
It means we were supposedly 25. That wasn’t the number of runs we supposed to lose by. It means when the selection committee sees a UConn team on the bubble we don’t get selected. When we are projected a 2 by rpi we end up a 3or 4. Look none of these numbers are real. They are the result of some computer model. The committee looks at a team that was a 25 rpi and it wasn’t real. The team didn’t get beat 2-1 and 5-2. Next time they look at the whole program, consider that in the last 30 they didn’t play a team with an rpi under 150 and in effect “discount” that number. It happens in every other NCAA selection system where The Committee has leeway. It happens here too.

Reaction Score
It means we were supposedly 25. That wasn’t the number of runs we supposed to lose by. It means when the selection committee sees a UConn team on the bubble we don’t get selected. When we are projected a 2 by rpi we end up a 3or 4. Look none of these numbers are real. They are the result of some computer model. The committee looks at a team that was a 25 rpi and it wasn’t real. The team didn’t get beat 2-1 and 5-2. Next time they look at the whole program, consider that in the last 30 they didn’t play a team with an rpi under 150 and in effect “discount” that number. It happens in every other NCAA selection system where The Committee has leeway. It happens here too.
this is just not the case

The Stature of the University. The recent history of success of ball players development to MLB. The Penders reputation. The continued presence of one Yankee State U playing top programs in southern US in February and March. The one shining program in this tough baseball region with a solid baseball park. I feel that 26-3 is a black mark ... but not what you portrayed

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
We couldn't get conference teams outside of Xavier to move a game or do something different. Why would Maryland want to do this for us?
If you were talking about Creighton, I suspect their lack of flexibility as to rescheduling may have been strategic. If you read between the lines listening to Penders, it sounds like he does too.

Reaction Score

There is zero basis to think that the Committee will be influenced not just by a prior year's record, but by margin of victory in a prior year. None.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom