2021 NY Jets thread | The Boneyard

2021 NY Jets thread

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I didn't see a recent general thread on America's favorite team to mock...so I figured I would start one.

Question for the Jets fans....I am starting to get concerned about Douglas's negotiation strategy/abilities. Nothing seems to come easy in recent Jet contract negotiations. First.. Robby Anderson...he ends up getting a deal with the Panthers for money that Douglas admits was less than he thought it would take to sign him. Leaving Darnold without his favorite receiver. He played hardball with his top player (Adams) and ended up trading him away. In hindsight, it was a good trade...but it still was an example if Douglas not being able to sign a deal.

This year...he played hard ball with Crowder when he didn't have to. He had cap room and could have figured out a less aggressive way to keep a good contributor happy. Then the Maye negotiations broke done. Strong player...good clubhouse guy...one of the few remaining draft picks...and he wasn't able to get a long term deal signed.

Now Wilson. The only first round draft pick not signed. I get the issue with offset language...but can't they find a compromise? It sucks that camp is starting and the rookie starting qb isn't there. It's a crappy way to start a new regime.

So whats the deal? Is this what the Douglas contract process will be going forward? Will it be a constant revolving door due to contact negotiation breakdowns?

Reaction Score
I'm not nearly as concerned.

On Anderson, he was inconsistent and often disappeared for stretches. And the team was not in a "win now" mode. I don't view him as a long term WR that other teams are going to stay up late at night worrying about. This year, with the acquisitions and drafted players, I don't think anyone really cares if Crowder is there or he isn't...so why not keep him under our best case scenario?

On Adams? I give Douglas a huge gold star for how he handled that. Adams is playing the same games with the Seahawks right now and they're going to dramatically overpay for a player that typically isn't a position that wins you a Super Bowl. He isn't a "leader" and is a malcontent.

I'm not worried about Wilson one bit. This is what a negotiation is...both sides go back and forth until they reach a mutually agreeable position. They'll get there.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I'm not nearly as concerned.

On Anderson, he was inconsistent and often disappeared for stretches. And the team was not in a "win now" mode. I don't view him as a long term WR that other teams are going to stay up late at night worrying about. This year, with the acquisitions and drafted players, I don't think anyone really cares if Crowder is there or he isn't...so why not keep him under our best case scenario?

On Adams? I give Douglas a huge gold star for how he handled that. Adams is playing the same games with the Seahawks right now and they're going to dramatically overpay for a player that typically isn't a position that wins you a Super Bowl. He isn't a "leader" and is a malcontent.

I'm not worried about Wilson one bit. This is what a negotiation is...both sides go back and forth until they reach a mutually agreeable position. They'll get there.
What about Maye?

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I like Douglas...it just feels like all negotiations are harder than they need to be.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Same ole Jets. Lawson out for the year. Sigh.

So...the guys who looked best In camp are both injured. Lawson for the year. Hopefully Moore comes back soon. AVT also has been injured. I know injuries are part of the game, but it sucks when it's your best two players in camp.

The team is jinxed. It's only a matter of time for Wilson to get injured and Mike White is the starting QB. I still can't believe they didn't sign a real backup. I guess they are hoping Foles shakes loose.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I didn't see a recent general thread on America's favorite team to mock...so I figured I would start one.

Question for the Jets fans....I am starting to get concerned about Douglas's negotiation strategy/abilities. Nothing seems to come easy in recent Jet contract negotiations. First.. Robby Anderson...he ends up getting a deal with the Panthers for money that Douglas admits was less than he thought it would take to sign him. Leaving Darnold without his favorite receiver. He played hardball with his top player (Adams) and ended up trading him away. In hindsight, it was a good trade...but it still was an example if Douglas not being able to sign a deal.

This year...he played hard ball with Crowder when he didn't have to. He had cap room and could have figured out a less aggressive way to keep a good contributor happy. Then the Maye negotiations broke done. Strong player...good clubhouse guy...one of the few remaining draft picks...and he wasn't able to get a long term deal signed.

Now Wilson. The only first round draft pick not signed. I get the issue with offset language...but can't they find a compromise? It sucks that camp is starting and the rookie starting qb isn't there. It's a crappy way to start a new regime.

So whats the deal? Is this what the Douglas contract process will be going forward? Will it be a constant revolving door due to contact negotiation breakdowns?

Offset language shouldn’t even be allowed.

It’s a ridiculous concept

Reaction Score
At what point does Saleh realize he jumped aboard a cursed franchise? Poor SOB.

I am so glad we don't cross paths outside of UConn in our fandom. Never mind Saleh, what about you, you poor bastard! :eek: Head bang

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
So I dont get it...what are the Jets up to with cornerback? Their cornerbacks sucked last year....they didn't bother picking up a free agent....they didn't use a high draft pick on one...they haven't traded for one...yet they just cut one of their starters.

Is the plan really to go with a 6th round rookie? Carl Lawson goes down. They make a trade for Shaq Lawson. No cb experience and they do nothing.

Does Douglas put that little value on the cb position? Seems incredibly risky....or is there another plan?

And I still can't figure out backup QB.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Took 1Q for the Offensive line to break Zach Wilson. Cant run to save their life and Wilson trying to play hero ball and it is not pretty. Sam Darnold laughing with a professional offense with Macafrey

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I was ok with yesterday's result. Wilson and Davis give me hope for the offense and the defense held up well despite their youth. Obviously the offensive lines is a concern but overall it was a decent opening for the Saleh era.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
So...I knew it would be a roller coaster....I just didn't realize how bad the drops will be.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Ok....so I like Saleh and Douglas. They seem to have the right strategy for long term success. I agreed with moving on from Sam and that Zach was the right QB to pick. Especially for financial reasons.

But...they hired a 34 yo OC and they didn't sign an experienced backup QB. And now...the offense is awful. I like Lefleur's offense, but it feels like he is learning on the job. As is his QB. And the other QB is Mike White. Who has never taken an NFL snap. Lots of inexperience...and Douglas hasn't given the offense the tools to be successful.

Douglas's draft class of 2020 looks like a bust and the lack of support for Wilson is concerning. Add in the lack of addressing the secondary...the mysterious releasing of Austin...the inactivity of Mims...and there is a lot to question on this team.

I am still hopeful that these are just growing pains. But it seems like obvious missteps could have been avoided. Multiple draft picks and extra dollars should help next off season...but does that mean another unwatchable year?

I am disappointed on how they have looked so far... hopefully they are respectable soon.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
So...I decided I would leave another post for myself....lol

I am amazed at what they have done on defense this year. With all the injuries and no experience at the corners...I didn't expect them to play this well. Of course...Titans missing their starting WRs helped. What a pickup Quincy Williams has been.

Zach...is close to being special. He had a couple chances to end the game and he missed passes. The third down at the two minute warning to Davis and the pass to Griffin before the game winning field goal. He hits either of those and the win would have been easier. But...otherwise he looked great in the second half.

Happy for Saleh on his first win.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
So...I decided I would leave another post for myself....lol

I am amazed at what they have done on defense this year. With all the injuries and no experience at the corners...I didn't expect them to play this well. Of course...Titans missing their starting WRs helped. What a pickup Quincy Williams has been.

Zach...is close to being special. He had a couple chances to end the game and he missed passes. The third down at the two minute warning to Davis and the pass to Griffin before the game winning field goal. He hits either of those and the win would have been easier. But...otherwise he looked great in the second half.

Happy for Saleh on his first win.

Sometimes better to be lucky than good.

Although Wilson had a chance to put it away in regulation

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Imagine if I was a UConn football fan and a Jets fan...that would be awful.

Oh yeah...I am.

Why am I a football fan at all? Lol.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Imagine if I was a UConn football fan and a Jets fan...that would be awful.

Oh yeah...I am.

Why am I a football fan at all? Lol.
So....UConn football gets embarrassed at home by middle Tennessee St...and the Jets get embarrassed at NE.

When does college hoops start?

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Um. Wow. Not sure what to make of that. It appears Lefleur finds it easier to scheme for white than for Wilson. Either they were scheming too much for Wilson's talents...or Wilson wasn't taking the easy reads. Could be both.

But...they started the game aggressively with the passing game. Which they didn't do with Wilson

Maybe Lefleur is just growing as a signal caller.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
fred GIF

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
It would be so Jets to start White over Wilson when Wilson is healthy.
If White plays like he did yesterday, he should continue to start.

But...I don't think that happens. He caught Cincy off guard yesterday. It won't be as easy for him on Thursday. Indy will make him prove he can throw farther than 10 yards.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If White plays like he did yesterday, he should continue to start.

But...I don't think that happens. He caught Cincy off guard yesterday. It won't be as easy for him on Thursday. Indy will make him prove he can throw farther than 10 yards.

Will he start or will Flacco?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom