2021 New England Patriots Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2021 New England Patriots Thread

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
'appropo of nothing, i found it fascinating that Air Force won a blowout game the other day, scoring near 50, by running the ball like 68 times, and never throwing even one pass. outstanding, and a massive punking for the theory that a qb throwing pretty 50 yard strikes to a sideline cone, or to the beer lady in section 109, is somehow 'the only way to go.'

awkward. hey, how did mac do?
yup, this really happened.
Air Force runs the Triple Option.

When done correctly the option is extremely tough to stop, especially when Defenses are accustomed to seeing Gun & Run.

Reaction Score
The Brady vs Belichick debate is coming back to an equilibrium recognition that it was both. The funny thing is that the people that were so eager to say it was all Brady after last season were probably the same ones that called him a “system quarterback” for years until his achievements became so great that they couldn’t deny it any more. Once he left he became even greater (I.e. the sole reason for the Pats’ success) because they wanted to believe their tormentors would fade away.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Moneyball as applied to football.

And he actually does it. They asked him several years ago why he went back to 4-3 and he said pass rushing OLB were too expensive and DT were undervalued. Then he and the league flipped back for the same reason and got Wilfork when NT we’re undervalued. Teams following the trends are always chasing a small, expensive pool of guys.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Notwithstanding @Deepster’s tears, what Bill does, has always done, is contrarian. He was a 3-4 guy when 4-3 dominated. As outside linebackers, popularized by guys like LT who played for him were in demand, he shifted to 4-3.

In the current game, WR are wildly overvalued, and RB undervalued. 25 years ago it was the opposite. Buffalo plays nickel 90% of the tIme, their D is built to stop the pass. So…don’t pass. In an era of 3 or 4 WR sets, he has 2 RBs and often 2 TE sets. If defenses are pass focused, run on them. But flexible players and schemes mean he will switch at any moment to counter what you do.
RB’s are not undervalued. They take a beating and aren’t worth committing much of your cap against. You need a stable of 2-4 serviceable backs and 2 need to be pass-game proficient. RB’s come out of college ready to play if they’re decent, which means they’re cheap in the late rounds. All that adds up to a lower valuation from their historical perspective.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
There is a Twitter rumor that the Jags are going to come hard after Josh McDaniels. I can't think of a worse place (culture/environment) in the NFL. Even the Jets and Washington are above Jacksonville. I've only driven through, but I hear the city is kind of a hole as well.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
There is a Twitter rumor that the Jags are going to come hard after Josh McDaniels. I can't think of a worse place (culture/environment) in the NFL. Even the Jets and Washington are above Jacksonville. I've only driven through, but I hear the city is kind of a hole as well.

I saw that. I'm not sure I agree. They had a dominant defense just a few seasons ago. They did pretty well as an expansion team. The owner wants to win. They have Trevor Lawrence and some other pieces. I don't think they are are far off as their record suggests, which means they will have good draft position this year, won't need a QB and will have some talent on the roster.

Reaction Score
I’ll be very interested to watch Mac Jones this week. Coming off a bad game. Coming off a game a couple weeks ago where he only threw three passes against Buffalo and now playing that same team for the division title at home.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
I’ll be very interested to watch Mac Jones this week. Coming off a bad game. Coming off a game a couple weeks ago where he only threw three passes against Buffalo and now playing that same team for the division title at home.
The real question is whether the play calling defense and offense improves. They were unprepared for Indianapolis and Buffalo is hungry. Good coaching can hide any deficiencies of Jones.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The real question is whether the play calling defense and offense improves. They were unprepared for Indianapolis and Buffalo is hungry. Good coaching can hide any deficiencies of Jones.

I am more concerned that Stephenson is out and Harris is still coming back from that hamstring. Running game is limited. I’m expecting a close game. Jones isn’t high on my list of concerns at all.

Reaction Score
Safe to assume they’ve paused on engraving the Mac Jones “best rookie qb season ever” trophy.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Safe to assume they’ve paused on engraving the Mac Jones “best rookie qb season ever” trophy.

He wasn't great, but he certainly wasn't high on the list of problems either. Not forcing a single punt strikes me as a bigger concern. Offensive line was horrible early in the game as well. Josh Allen played an amazing game. Repeatedly turning nothing or negative plays into gains with feet & improvisational throws.

That's why the Jets took Wilson. The hope that he can be that sort of creative, improvisational player. Allen is just behind Mahomes right now in that category.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
He wasn't great, but he certainly wasn't high on the list of problems either. Not forcing a single punt strikes me as a bigger concern. Offensive line was horrible early in the game as well. Josh Allen played an amazing game. Repeatedly turning nothing or negative plays into gains with feet & improvisational throws.

That's why the Jets took Wilson. The hope that he can be that sort of creative, improvisational player. Allen is just behind Mahomes right now in that category.
It used to be that Belichick could hide some of the flaws or shortcomings of the defense with the play calling. It may be the talent of the opposition is that much better but it didn't happen Sunday. Better not lay any more eggs like that one or they will be watching the play-offs on TV.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Tomorrow the last game of the season or do they move on? In my uninformed opinion, they need to contain Allen; no 15 yard dashes on 3rd and 10 deep in their own territory, force a punt or two in that cold. Likewise don't screw up when special teams is on the field, as it will likely be a battle between the two.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
It's going to be bone-chilling. Bone-chilling.

Reaction Score
Looks like another 3 pass game plan for the best rookie qb ever.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
They're getting waxed like a bikini model

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I was so sure the Pats would get waxed I gave more points for higher odds. I could win my first legal sports bet tonight!

Reaction Score
Scratch my earlier comparison of Mac Jones to Alex Smith. He’s Chad Pennington at best.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
The defense was horrible. Poor tackling and no play making. Mac was not good but some of that was on the WR and line. All around bad game but hats off to the Bills, they looked great.

Reaction Score
Scratch my earlier comparison of Mac Jones to Alex Smith. He’s Chad Pennington at best.
He's a less athletic Ryan Tannehill. If everything is perfect around him, he can get things done. He won't be carrying any team on his shoulders, so the Patriots are going to have to stay on top of keeping that line in top form.

Reaction Score
He's a less athletic Ryan Tannehill. If everything is perfect around him, he can get things done. He won't be carrying any team on his shoulders, so the Patriots are going to have to stay on top of keeping that line in top form.
And even then, no more first round byes or home playoff games for the next decade.

That’s a shame.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Tomorrow the last game of the season or do they move on? In my uninformed opinion, they need to contain Allen; no 15 yard dashes on 3rd and 10 deep in their own territory, force a punt or two in that cold. Likewise don't screw up when special teams is on the field, as it will likely be a battle between the two.

You probably didn't feel like that comment was a stretch to ask for from the Pats' D.

Reaction Score
The Tannehill comparison I do not see at all.

Mac is Kirk Cousins.

Reaction Score
The Tannehill comparison I do not see at all.

Mac is Kirk Cousins.
That's even worse I think, but probably just as accurate. I use Tannehill because Tannehill is one of those guys who needs to have all the pieces around him, which is where I think Jones falls into as a QB. Six of one, half dozen of the other I suppose.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom