2021 Coaching Carousel picking up riders… | Page 24 | The Boneyard

2021 Coaching Carousel picking up riders…

Reaction Score
There were some on this board who believed landing Moorehead would have been impossible. There were others (myself included) who saw it as possible but not guaranteed.

If we had landed Moorehead I would have been thrilled. I would not however have been as thrilled as I have been the past few days after hearing Mora speak about the job and seeing the staff he is assembling.

I have always valued substance over style with things like this but I can say without question that the Mora hire appears to have more substance than a Moorehead hire would have had and it has immensely more style (which at the moment we need desperately). The levels (recruiting, results) that Moorehead would have been able to shoot for (if things went well) in years five or six, Mora should be able to shoot for in year three.

Additionally, DB did see advantages to bringing someone in early, getting a head start on communicating with potential assistants, discussing with principals to get them on board with his vision, evaluate at some level the existing talent, etc. Landing Mora under those circumstances vs hoping to land Moorehead (if things were to fall correctly) was absolutely the better move.

Moorhead came to us from Akron. It’s a good place for him. Mora is a made guy, he has such a big network. We needed his football acumen and his gravitas.

I was kind of meh on Mora at first too. But I am injecting Kool Aid directly into my heart at this point.

Reaction Score
What I can’t wait for is the first of these mega coaches to get fired and the school to be on the hook for 7-8 years of payments, plus having to pay a new guy in another 10 year deal.

My guess is 1. Michigan State. They gave a very mediocre coach who coughed Up a hair ball in his big game an undeserved mega deal because they were afraid he was going to where?

2. Lincoln Reilly. Sorry, the PAC just isn’t that good. You win you’re still getting pounded out of conference.

3. LSU. Boston Irish Catholic guy coaching the most southern of Deep South programs. Yeah that is going to work really well.

Imagine you are the AD getting the bill for Linc’s airplane every year and he is sitting by the pool watching his successor.

Reaction Score
They may all be failures but your analysis is off.
I’m guessing you’re too young to appreciate that USC was the clear top FB program for several years in the 00s.

The most Deep South of programs are ole miss, miss st, even possibly auburn Bama tenn.
Louisiana has a large Catholic population.
Don’t get me wrong it’s still a bad fit but more for Boston than anything else.

Reaction Score
What I can’t wait for is the first of these mega coaches to get fired and the school to be on the hook for 7-8 years of payments, plus having to pay a new guy in another 10 year deal.

My guess is 1. Michigan State. They gave a very mediocre coach who coughed Up a hair ball in his big game an undeserved mega deal because they were afraid he was going to where?

2. Lincoln Reilly. Sorry, the PAC just isn’t that good. You win you’re still getting pounded out of conference.

3. LSU. Boston Irish Catholic guy coaching the most southern of Deep South programs. Yeah that is going to work really well.

Imagine you are the AD getting the bill for Linc’s airplane every year and he is sitting by the pool watching his successor.
Lincoln Reilly was a slam dunk hire for USC. It cost them a brinks truck full of cash but he is going to kill it at USC.

Reaction Score
Lincoln Reilly was a slam dunk hire for USC. It cost them a brinks truck full of cash but he is going to kill it at USC.
I don’t think he is. Maybe for a year or two, but he is a guy who started on third base and everyone thinks he hit a triple. I give him credit for not screwing up at Oklahoma, but HE inherited the best program in a weaker P5 league. Stoops had 3 seasons without double digit wins in his time at OU. 190-48 Overall record. 10 B12 titles. USC is a different situation entirely.

They may all be failures but your analysis is off.
I’m guessing you’re too young to appreciate that USC was the clear top FB program for several years in the 00s.

The most Deep South of programs are ole miss, miss st, even possibly auburn Bama tenn.
Louisiana has a large Catholic population.
Don’t get me wrong it’s still a bad fit but more for Boston than anything else.

I kind of think the schools got their coaches wrong. Kelly would build a dominant program at USC. Reilly would be better at LSU. I know of USC’s history. Arguably even better under McKay and the Robinson.

And FWIW, Boston Irish Catholic isn’t a religious definition. More cultural. Growing up in Chelsea he probably dreamed of playing for the Irish, hoped for BC and accepted going to Assumption. The cultural thing Works at Notre Dame. Works at Cincinnati Not so sure it will at LSU.

Reaction Score
I don’t think he is. Maybe for a year or two, but he is a guy who started on third base and everyone thinks he hit a triple. I give him credit for not screwing up at Oklahoma, but HE inherited the best program in a weaker P5 league. Stoops had 3 seasons without double digit wins in his time at OU. 190-48 Overall record. 10 B12 titles. USC is a different situation entirely.

I kind of think the schools got their coaches wrong. Kelly would build a dominant program at USC. Reilly would be better at LSU. I know of USC’s history. Arguably even better under McKay and the Robinson.

And FWIW, Boston Irish Catholic isn’t a religious definition. More cultural. Growing up in Chelsea he probably dreamed of playing for the Irish, hoped for BC and accepted going to Assumption. The cultural thing Works at Notre Dame. Works at Cincinnati Not so sure it will at LSU.
You’re right Bob Stoops groomed heisman qb after heisman qb not Riley

Riley is arguably the top offensive mind in the sport and has a great track record developing QBs. With all the talent especially QB talent in CA he’s going to kill it

Reaction Score
Would not like that at all. Addazzio has strong ties to area recruiting, hope they pass on him but he would be a solid hire.
I think his body of work as a HC will not inspire anyone to give him another HC job and I thnk Temple can do better.

Reaction Score
I think his body of work as a HC will not inspire anyone to give him another HC job and I thnk Temple can do better.
I hope they target someone else, no question. He has vast experience recruiting this area.

Reaction Score

LSU hired Brian Kelly because he is all business. The school needs some discipline given the basketball and football mess.

Nobody thought of Kelly as an Irish Catholic guy at Cincy and before.

Reaction Score
No mention of the Dazzler as our OL Coach?

I get the impression that Addazio doesn't leave his former employers with warm cuddly feelings ... unlike others. I think residual feelings eliminate some guys from the 2.0 stage of Head Coaching

Reaction Score
You’re right Bob Stoops groomed heisman qb after heisman qb not Riley

Riley is arguably the top offensive mind in the sport and has a great track record developing QBs. With all the talent especially QB talent in CA he’s going to kill it
You might be right. Bob Stoops was terrible. He only has an .832 winning percentage, zero losing seasons, a national championship, 10 B12 titles, took a team that hadn’t won the B12 in a dozen years and won 7 of the next nine. Oh, and hired Reilly. But he didn’t coach 2 Heisman Quarterbacks. Oh wait, he did.

Reaction Score

Feldman's connect the dots for Colorado State:
  • Ohio State RB Coach Tony Alford
  • Kent State’s Head Coach Sean Lewis
  • Cleveland Browns DL Coach Chris Kiffin,
  • Broncos WR Coach Zach Azzanni
  • Oregon State OC Brian Lindgren
  • Arizona State’s OC Zak Hill
  • USC OC Graham Harrell

Reaction Score
Wow is right. Good coach. Wonder if its health or burnout.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom