2021 Coaching Carousel picking up riders… | Page 23 | The Boneyard

2021 Coaching Carousel picking up riders…

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

The connect-the-dots:
  • Texas RB coach/run game coordinator Stan Drayton.
  • Texas A&M DL coach Elijah Robinson,
  • Ole Miss co-defensive coordinator Chris Partridge,
  • Rutgers secondary coach Fran Brown
  • Michigan RB coach Mike Hart
  • Princeton’s Bob Surace
  • Former Florida coach Dan Mullen

Ok I read that Tweet and then saw the Black Friday sale part and thought they were making a joke about how there was a sale on the plethora of openings in CFB.....then I realized it was an actual Black Friday sale for the Athletic and was disappointed at a missed opportunity for being witty.....

Reaction Score
It's like we pulled off a Mr. Magoo while the trains were crashing behind us.
In some ways, but now we see Moorhead was ours for the taking too. There were options. If Fickell opts to stay at Cincy, ND could be forced to make an embarrassing hire by their standards.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score

people on this board SWORE up and down this guy would never leave the P5 or deign to look at us

Reaction Score

people on this board SWORE up and down this guy would never leave the P5 or deign to look at us

It was about a 50/50 split, others thought we would have a chance if he enjoyed his time here.

It doesn't matter anymore. Onward and upward with coach Mora, he's doing great so far.

Reaction Score
I was told we would have no shot at Moorhead, but it looks like he's going to Akron. So yeah we absolutely had a chance to get Moorhead, but I am fully on the Mora train and believe we got an absolute steal for a great coach.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
In some ways, but now we see Moorhead was ours for the taking too. There were options. If Fickell opts to stay at Cincy, ND could be forced to make an embarrassing hire by their standards.
Did he want to come back to CT and for what cost? Mora's $1.5 m leaves more in the pot for the staff, and he pretty clearly wants to be here and didnt just take the job for the money.

Reaction Score

Sure. But getting a head start was mora important.

The guy we got is fresh, healthy and full of energy. We need a guy who can be a football coach and also be a vocal leader of the program visible to people on the outside.

If Moorhead was keeping UConn up his sleeve then he didn’t play his very well at all.

Reaction Score
Somehow, I can't picture Moorehead throwing himself into the job like Mora has to this point. Mora is ten years older and looks ten years younger.

And wasn’t hospitalized recently.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

There were some on this board who believed landing Moorehead would have been impossible. There were others (myself included) who saw it as possible but not guaranteed.

If we had landed Moorehead I would have been thrilled. I would not however have been as thrilled as I have been the past few days after hearing Mora speak about the job and seeing the staff he is assembling.

I have always valued substance over style with things like this but I can say without question that the Mora hire appears to have more substance than a Moorehead hire would have had and it has immensely more style (which at the moment we need desperately). The levels (recruiting, results) that Moorehead would have been able to shoot for (if things went well) in years five or six, Mora should be able to shoot for in year three.

Additionally, DB did see advantages to bringing someone in early, getting a head start on communicating with potential assistants, discussing with principals to get them on board with his vision, evaluate at some level the existing talent, etc. Landing Mora under those circumstances vs hoping to land Moorehead (if things were to fall correctly) was absolutely the better move.

Reaction Score
There were some on this board who believed landing Moorehead would have been impossible. There were others (myself included) who saw it as possible but not guaranteed.

If we had landed Moorehead I would have been thrilled. I would not however have been as thrilled as I have been the past few days after hearing Mora speak about the job and seeing the staff he is assembling.

I have always valued substance over style with things like this but I can say without question that the Mora hire appears to have more substance than a Moorehead hire would have had and it has immensely more style (which at the moment we need desperately). The levels (recruiting, results) that Moorehead would have been able to shoot for (if things went well) in years five or six, Mora should be able to shoot for in year three.

Additionally, DB did see advantages to bringing someone in early, getting a head start on communicating with potential assistants, discussing with principals to get them on board with his vision, evaluate at some level the existing talent, etc. Landing Mora under those circumstances vs hoping to land Moorehead (if things were to fall correctly) was absolutely the better move.

I think we are also benefiting from the fact that this is Jim Mora's second time around. UCLA was a very tough ticklish situation when he arrived. He learned - and o my, these two schools are vastly different and recruiting is extraordinarily contrasting - that he could touch the important regional points of football quick. He has a set mindset on what his strengths are ... and staffing; and then here in New England, he breaks it. I think this first week shows that he has some idea of the new structure of harvesting college players. and the Portal.

Moorhead's attraction to me was his turnaround at Fordham - which was a desperate situation when he arrived. I dunno what the years have piled on him. Mississippi State seems to a soul draining experience.

Reaction Score

I've never seen a script flipped on a school so quickly after the Mora hire. It's like overnight UConn got a ton of positive publicity and now we have a general aura of excitement I haven't really seen since the 2011 season after the fiesta bowl.

Reaction Score
I've never seen a script flipped on a school so quickly after the Mora hire. It's like overnight UConn got a ton of positive publicity and now we have a general aura of excitement I haven't really seen since the 2011 season after the fiesta bowl.
The next thing you know there will be rumors that power conferences (B10 and ACC) are fighting over who gets to add UConn to their conference……………. Then the alarm goes off and I get up for work……. Stinking alarm.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom